Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 13:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: The opinion of a guy who still plays doom2....  (Read 13235 times)

majik

The opinion of a guy who still plays doom2....
« on: October 09, 2012, 00:22 »

Sit around a while while I tell you how this guy who still plays doom2 found out about this weird looking game....

I was pasting something in pastebin, when I randomly clicked on an untitled paste containing stats or something from a game called DoomRL.
So I googled DoomRL, and found the website, found your q-net channel, etc, installed the game to see what the hell DoomRL was.

First look : Totally not my kind of game, kinda looked like diablo with doom paint over it, plus turn-based gameplay.
After 30 minutes of play : I actually might play this again.

It's got a slightly slower pace than the diablo-style RPG's I know (slower than a dead slug, when compared to the franchise it's modeled after xD), but I can see how someone might get addicted to this kind of turn-based game (What do you even call this? Turn-based/survival-horror/top-down/strategy/shooter ??). There's experience and levels and so on and so forth like any modern RPG game, but the way it's presented feels different from anything I've ever played. The gameplay seems simple enough, controls easy enough to figure out for a guy who's played a buttload of RPG's, though I don't think I've figured out the main plot-line just yet, so far I've just ran around killing things one mouse-click at a time. (Is the only goal to kill monsters and find the stairs as fast as possible?)

All in all, you earned a 9.9/10 (nobody's perfect D: )

How many of you, if any at all, still play doom2? Did any of you think doom was dead?(if so, SCREW YOU MAN)
My name's the same in all the video-game communities I play in, It'd be nice to see familiar faces!

P.S.   instant half-chub when I heard all my favorite videogame songs remastered in high-quality.

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
Re: The opinion of a guy who still plays doom2....
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 02:24 »

You should run it in console mode (use the .bat file if you're using windows) for a real treat. ;)

Glad to hear you liked it. I can't speak for the rest, but I will still start up Doom95 now and then. There are so many different portals for slaying hell's minions, it's hard to choose!
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 02:52 »

Welcome to the forums!

It's really easy to get hooked up on DoomRL since it is so doomy. I'd say the atmosphere is spot on. It can be tough at first, but you'll get a hang of it soon.

Anyway, this genre is called "Roguelike", though I believe DoomRL is somewhat atypical with the focus on ranged combat and relatively fast pace. And main plotline? This is doom! You kill demons until you reach the Spider Mastermind and kill her too. And there might be something more after, maybe... Basically you should level up and get better weapons as a preparation for passing the bossfights.

BTW, once you've seen the true ASCII face of DoomRL, check this out: http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php/topic,5092.0.html, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrKrL_gUr3s.

Edit: I should really continue working on that. Maybe it's time I learnt to change stats. Or some form of advanced mapmaking which would allow me to make all the special levels.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 03:07 by Klear »
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

AJBuwalda

• Sergeant
  • Colonial Marine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 03:11 »

So I am not the only one who ran into DoomRL by accident. I was playing ZDoom at the time when I stumbled on this gem. My OS does not really handle old programs well, so ZDoom was my best option for nostalgia. So looking around on how to make my ZDoom as smooth as possible, I find this link to DoomRL.

I go to the site and see it is infact a roguelike. JOY! I have played nethack for about 12 years, so a new RL might just be what the doctor ordered... and it was. Personally I love rapid fire builds. Never actually finished it yet, though. I tend to make stupid mistakes and die horribly.

AJBuwalda

• Sergeant
  • Colonial Marine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 03:31 »

BTW, once you've seen the true ASCII face of DoomRL, check this out: http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php/topic,5092.0.html, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrKrL_gUr3s.
Honestly, I love the tilesset that comes with DoomRL. Sure, that makes me a heretic in the eyes of most Roguelike addicts, but its just so well done. Makes me feel like its the early 90's again and I'm back in my parents home office giving Hell a hard time. Crazy thing is that my parents never really had the whole "This is some evil crap"-reaction like many parents of the time. I could leisurely shotgun Imps 'till my heart was content.

I do have to say that the ASCII within regular Doom is absolutly hilarious.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 03:39 »

Back when I started that project, the graphical version was not released yet.

I think I might make a graphical version of that mod at some point...
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 04:25 »

First look : Totally not my kind of game, kinda looked like diablo with doom paint over it, plus turn-based gameplay.

It's got a slightly slower pace than the diablo-style RPG's I know (slower than a dead slug, when compared to the franchise it's modeled after xD), but I can see how someone might get addicted to this kind of turn-based game (What do you even call this? Turn-based/survival-horror/top-down/strategy/shooter ??). There's experience and levels and so on and so forth like any modern RPG game, but the way it's presented feels different from anything I've ever played. The gameplay seems simple enough, controls easy enough to figure out for a guy who's played a buttload of RPG's, though I don't think I've figured out the main plot-line just yet, so far I've just ran around killing things one mouse-click at a time. (Is the only goal to kill monsters and find the stairs as fast as possible?)
Like people mentioned already, it is a roguelike game (after an old game called Rogue that was released years ago). There are dozens / hundreds of those, though there some of of them that are better and more known (like ADOM, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, DoomRL) than the others.

And you have to remember that the original Diablo was based on a roguelike game.

How many of you, if any at all, still play doom2? Did any of you think doom was dead?(if so, SCREW YOU MAN)
I do not play Doom anymore, because DoomRL is better :) .

Is the only goal to kill monsters and find the stairs as fast as possible?
The goal is to Go Out And Kill Things. Eventually you will find the Evil Boss behind all this business and kill it, too. Maybe.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 04:33 by skarczew »

AJBuwalda

• Sergeant
  • Colonial Marine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 06:35 »

And you have to remember that the original Diablo was based on a roguelike game.
Wasn't it based on Moria? I never played that game. Is Moria any good?

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 20:18 »

Well, I've been a fan of Doom for ages and a fan of Roguelikes even longer, (ever since the original "Rogue" from the 80's) so this game combined the best of both worlds for me and became incredibly addictive for me.  :)

EDIT:

Edit: I should really continue working on that. Maybe it's time I learnt to change stats. Or some form of advanced mapmaking which would allow me to make all the special levels.

That's hilarious and awesome!  :D  And yes, keep working on it!  I'd love to play more of Rogue, the Doomlike.  :P

How many of you, if any at all, still play doom2?

I do!  :D  (Sometimes)  :P  BTW, if you're interested, I have a bunch of Doom and Doom 2 maps that I made a while ago...  Actually, now that I think about it, I guess I can just attach them to this post!  :D  Here are a couple of my favourite creations for Doom 2, entitled "Lift of Doom" and "Labrynth."  (they replace levels 1 and 2 respectively and they only seem to be compatible with ZDoom)  They've been criticized as being "under-detailed," but I think they're a lot of fun.  :)  If anyone's interested, I can post some of my older (crappier) work too.  :P
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 20:22 by Tormuse »
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

IronBeer

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Carry on, citizen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 22:37 »

I actually somehow ran across a reference to DoomRL on TVTropes, of all places (I was looking up the tropes in ADOM, because I have too much time). Incidentally, I still play the crap out of classic Doom, via ZDoom- working on beating the notorious Hell Revealed .wad atm.
0.9.9.7 Mancubus 1st Lieutenant
[19/12/5/1/0]

AJBuwalda

• Sergeant
  • Colonial Marine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 02:09 »

I actually somehow ran across a reference to DoomRL on TVTropes, of all places (I was looking up the tropes in ADOM, because I have too much time). Incidentally, I still play the crap out of classic Doom, via ZDoom- working on beating the notorious Hell Revealed .wad atm.
Since DoomRL I dropped ZDoom. I just love leveling and working to make a better build to much to go back :-P

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 02:58 »

I discovered DoomRL via reloaded.org. It caught my eye because Doom + Rogue just seemed, like... TOO perfect to be true. Ya know?
I gotta admit that ever since I began to play DoomRL I pretty much just left Doom alone in a dark little corner forever. I've really been playing the crap outta this game since like... which version was it again? 098 I think... that's freaking years ago. (EDIT: About 7.5 years. Wow!)

(Unfortunately, DoomRL's been changing sooooo much, and ever since like 0995 it just ain't my kinda game anymore. It's just too different from what I used to know and love. :< Frankly I think KK shoulda dropped the whole class and episode thing and just finished it with the features of 0992 or something...
But okay, this is just the opinion of a nostalgic person.)

Anyway you were really, really lucky to find this in a random pastebin post, because I think you'll get really hooked to DoomRL, since it's so fun that despite killing a lot of hours that could've been spent into productive things, it'll feel like time of your life well spent. :P It's in my top 5 best games I've ever played, so you totally found a gem there.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 03:18 by ParaSait »
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

AJBuwalda

• Sergeant
  • Colonial Marine
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 05:08 »

Anyway you were really, really lucky to find this in a random pastebin post, because I think you'll get really hooked to DoomRL, since it's so fun that despite killing a lot of hours that could've been spent into productive things, it'll feel like time of your life well spent. :P It's in my top 5 best games I've ever played, so you totally found a gem there.
Being productive in life is relative ;-)

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 21:14 »

(Incidentally, any opinions about my above posted maps are welcome)  :)
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Volchek

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 09:21 »

Well, I found a link to your great game thru iddqd.ru. It's a russian fan-site about Doom.
And now, DoomRL is only one Doom-game that I play.
Pages: [1] 2  All