Chaosforge Forum

• May 13, 2024, 11:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Proposed Feature - Challenge Modes  (Read 54323 times)

slMagnvox

Proposed Feature - Challenge Modes
« Reply #105 on: December 18, 2005, 12:08 »

Rocket Mod, ya know.  Big explosions, Launcher only, something with a rocket arena feel.  I'd let the experts work out the details.

On the topic of jump boots, I was really interested in a way to move more than one tile quickly.  For example, Hell's Arena ... If two or more demons spawn nearby and the Cacodemon is in sight, you've got trouble even if you've already found a second combat shotgun.

Perhaps: a "dash" trait would be in order, allowing the player to dash two/three tiles at a time at the cost of a single movement.  Kinda like holding shift to run in Doom.  Didn't we just set it on autorun though, or was that Quake?  Hah.  Back to Hell's arena, I'll clear it then grab the Supercharge and hit 'g' (I rebinded it to 'g' hah Nethack again AND I use hjkl - yubn to move) to run towards the stairs.  DoomRL's run command is just a batch move or does it actually spend fewer turns?  Because once I've grabbed the Super and use 'run' I feel like I've saved turns, going downstairs w/ 189%.  Would I have spent the same amount of turns walking each tile individually?  If not, a dash command would make sense.

I've been starting my characters with hellrunner then eagle eye or the other way around.  Once again, awesome game.  Think I'll go play some now.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ilya Bely, level 6 soldier, killed by a hell knight
 on level 13 of the Phobos base.
 He survived 70418 turns and scored 23127 points.

Hellrunner     (Level 2)
    Tough as nails (Level 1)
    Eagle Eye      (Level 2)
    Cateye         (Level 1)

slMagnvox

« Reply #106 on: December 18, 2005, 13:17 »

BANG

BANG

-CLIK-

You throw a Pistol (0/6) at the demon.

The Pistol (0/6) misses.

DYWYPI?

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2005, 13:50 »

Ok - straaaange idea but ...
Angel of Bones (why the name? look below)
Every death in this mode has a chance to produce so called bones-level (i.e save of the level - the name was taken from dungeoncrawl ^^'). Every time you play inj this mode again there is an chance that when you enter the same level that you died on that instead of random level an bones level will be used - containig ghost of you (hostile) carrying the same equipment as you at time of death, and having the same traits.

Urgh ... what I wrote is barely readale - i hope thet youl be able to understand what I'm saying -_-'
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Alfonso the Great

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 28, 2005, 07:30 »

Angel of Remembrance: Remember Episode 1 from the original Doom? I do, and I think it would be nifty to go through those classic stages in DoomRL style. The stages could be coded as set pieces (like Hell's Arena) with the monsters positioned as they were in that episode, and the levels would lead to one another. You'd only have access to weapons up through the rocket launcher (no, no double shotgun) and the final battle could be the memorable conflict with the Barons at Phobos Anomaly. It wouldn't be all too difficult, but might be a nice treat for old-school Doomers to relive what got a lot of us into the game in the first place.

If this is something that seems worth doing, I would be willing to create ASCII maps of the levels so Kornel doesn't have to trudge through Episode 1 and mark the location of every last imp. Coding everything I leave to him, though ^_^

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #109 on: December 28, 2005, 13:30 »

Hey, that would be great, but due to technical limitations, the levels can be only 20x80 so it would be a pain to fit them in that :-(
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

jake250

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.starforces.fr.st
« Reply #110 on: December 28, 2005, 18:19 »

Quoting: Kornel Kisielewicz
Hey, that would be great, but due to technical limitations, the levels can be only 20x80 so it would be a pain to fit them in that :-(

Yeah... while reading his post I was saying "Omg yeah it would be cool" but I completely forgot that..

It would be hard to make them fit in 20x80, you would need to make multiple level and that just wouldn't be the same anymore. Unless you add scrolling level someday, it would not be worth it.

JimmyJ

• Major
  • Integrated Circuit
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 28, 2005, 23:11 »

Scrolling level, thats something to think about, after all, if hell doesn't get deeper, it can still get larger!

Also, make note of what mods or challenges in the mortem please, just repeating this because no body really replied to this :) (i hope that smily becomes graphical!)

But really, hell does need to get deeper, that way we can have all the doom songs in it so they dont get left out :/
Howdy.

Alfonso the Great

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 29, 2005, 00:14 »

Quoting: Kornel Kisielewicz

I think it is possible to get at least half of the Episode 1 levels down to 20x80. The hallways would be 1 tile wide and many of the "decorative" areas (for example, the portion of the map that is outside when you look out the windows at the top of the stairs after getting the green armor in E1M1) could be cut. Some of the problem levels would include E1M2 (the maze area), E1M4 (the maze area) and E1M7 (the map in general), but others (E1M1, E1M8, E1M9, and probably E1M3) are more doable.

Quoting: jake250
It would be hard to make them fit in 20x80, you would need to make multiple level and that just wouldn't be the same anymore.

I admit that was my idea for some of the larger levels:  to have the major sections of the level link to one another in sequence, with the exit of that stage leading to the start of the next level. For most of those stages it would be when one would normally acquire a keycard (at which point the player would need to backtrack to another point in the level that previously had no bearing on the map anyway).

I'll see if I can find the time to throw together some ASCII sketches of the episode 1 levels, get them up for people to see, and see what changes need to be made, or even if the idea would still be tenable. If nothing else, it gives me something to do with my time that is a bit more constructive than trying to beat my head against the Cyberdemon!

Turgor

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.stichtingcavia.nl
« Reply #113 on: December 29, 2005, 00:22 »

Can't wait to see those.. and how playable they will be in DoomRL. I'm trying to imagine it now, but i can't decide if it would be easier or harder. probably harder as there will be enemies at most armors and weapons, but the layout of levels could make it easier to avoid getting in nasty situations.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #114 on: December 29, 2005, 04:59 »

I'm eager to see a sample too :]
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 03, 2006, 11:01 »

First off a suggestion on how theese could be chosen by players:

What you could do is have the new game structure like this:

Press Enter:
|
V
Choose Name
|
V
Choose Difficulty
|
 \
   Special Options (Challenges and the like)
|
V
Select Abilitys
|
V
Play
--

And now for some thoughts..

I reckon that the Deamon idea of easy mods (oppisate to angel of hard difficulty) is a great idea too..

--

Angel of scavenging (Poor name really, Needs suggestions):

You may wield any weapon as a normal character could, But the catch is after you empty the clip the guns melt in your hands (allthough not causing damage.)

Perhaps Angel of Resourcefulness?

--

Angel of Radiance

You are bathed in a radiance that shines like a beacon to all the nasties bellow, Basically they have the equivilent to cats eye III and can shoot you from that distance (allthough in I'm too young to die it would be reduced to I cats eye, Hey not too rough - II, Ultra violence - IV and in Nightmare an impressive 5 extra spaces for monster sight!)

--

Angel of Chronic Illness

You have allways been a sickly person, Up from birth till now - No ammount of miracle medicine from the UAC could even help. -, So thus you start with the equivilent to Iron man -3.5 or so depending on difficulty, The red screen from 'Zerks will stay longer allthough if possible it will slowly dissolve (like small patches of colour appearing), Invun globes will not last as long and the same fading screen deal apply's, Medkits and health globes will not be as effective and superboosted health will not last as long as it does normally.

All in all it sucks to be you.

--

Also another suggestion, Trooper mods. Theese are between Angel (Negative bonuses) and Deamon (Positive bonuses), Bascically theese have an upside and a downside.

Well I cant write any more tonight, Its 11 PM and I'm shattered. I will write some more tomorrow.

Turgor

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 03, 2006, 15:18 »

Quoting: Anticheese
Angel of scavenging

would reloading the weapon before it runs out of ammo work? if not, this could be a very hard challenge, especially when you get to hellish caves late in the game. if you can reload however, this would be only slightly harder than normal.

Angel of Radiance

i like this idea

Angel of Chronic Illness

this could explain why you got left behind while your mates got themselves killed in the phobos base ;)
dunno about the slowly fading coloring though..

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 03, 2006, 22:35 »

To clarify on AOS, Weapons cant be reloaded but you can carry as many as you can.

Well, My coding skills are limited to doing a Hello World! in C#, Game Maker and Megazeux but I think one way to do it is this:

After the 'zerk ends a random swatch of tiles will be chosen (I.E 14,15 15,15, 16,15 15,14 15,16) and they will be rendered per normal, Additional swatches could be chosen once every 2-8 player turns.

Could that work? Even so the fading colouring is not a must.

Anyone got any thoughts on Trooper semi challenges?

--

P.S, Whats the likelyhood of anyones ideas making it into the game?

EDIT:

Angel of Skill/Marksmanship/The Human Touch

This one disables the aiming cursor automatically going over to an enemy (You have to target them yourself!)

Turgor

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 03, 2006, 23:37 »

P.S, Whats the likelyhood of anyones ideas making it into the game?

i have no clue :D

there's a lot of stuff for kornel to pick from though.. we'll see soon enough what made it to 0.9.9 i guess

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2006, 07:28 »

Angel of fumbling

20% chance to balls up any given action...

--

Angel of magnitism

Any attack with a gun made by the enemy has a +25% chance extra to hit you.

This includes (but is not limited to) 10mm weapons, Rocket launcher, Shotgun.

Additionally you have a +25% chance to miss.

--

Any good?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10