Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 05:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Proposed Feature - Challenge Modes  (Read 53408 times)

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Proposed Feature - Challenge Modes
« on: October 23, 2005, 00:28 »

DoomRL 0.9.9 will have a set of Challenge modes. I wonder how to unlock them tough (see "Proposed Feature - General Player Info" thread), and I don't know what kind of challenges I want to include. I'm sure tough that I want the challenge game names to sound cool, so the current idea is that they will be named "Angel of...".

Understand tough that these are mainly aimed at people who find DoomRL easy, so don't be scared :D.

So the proposed Angel Challenge games are:

* Angel of Berserk - you don't have the gun at start and can't pick up neither ammo nor weapons except the Combat Knife and Chainsaw. (hard challenge)
* Angel of Marksmanship - you start with your pistol wielded and can't unwield it at all. (medium challenge)
* Angel of Carnage - you start with a chaingun, and cant't unwield it. (easy challenge)
* Angel of Impatience - you cannot carry medpacks -- they work instantly at pickup for you. (medium challenge)
* Angel of Masochism - neither medpacks, nor healing globes work on you - you heal to 200% at levelup tough. (probably impossible to complete)
* Angel of Purity - powerups don't work on you (easy challenge)
* Angel of Massacre - all monsters generated are former humans, there is 2*more of them. (easy challenge)

I want to add more to this list, probably with more interesting effects...

What do you think?
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

jake250

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.starforces.fr.st
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 05:29 »

Angel of Fire - More lava is generated in the level, at many places. However, this alone make it easy (they will all kill themself) so all monsters should be immune from lava damage (or at least they should dodge it)

Cyber Hunting - In each level, a "modified" cyberdemon (with reduce visibility and movement) spawn and try to hunt you. Maybe it could deal a bit less damage in lower level and have less health : the goal is not to kill the Cyberdemon (although you could still kill him but it wouldn't be easy.)

BFG Fest - More weapons and ammunition are spawned = you can even get the BFG in the first or second level. Mostly rockets and cells should be spawned. However, there would be a lot more ennemies...

They are just idea I wanted to "throw away".

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 05:52 »

Quoting: jake250
Angel of Fire - More lava is generated in the level, at many places. However, this alone make it easy (they will all kill themself) so all monsters should be immune from lava damage (or at least they should dodge it)

It won't be easier after I finally rewrite the AI... and this seems like a fun challenge ;-).

Cyber Hunting - In each level, a "modified" cyberdemon (with reduce visibility and movement) spawn and try to hunt you. Maybe it could deal a bit less damage in lower level and have less health : the goal is not to kill the Cyberdemon (although you could still kill him but it wouldn't be easy.)

Hmm, seems pointless to me. And somehow "undoomish".

BFG Fest - More weapons and ammunition are spawned = you can even get the BFG in the first or second level. Mostly rockets and cells should be spawned. However, there would be a lot more ennemies...

This will be in the form of a Angel of Haste challenge -- just 6-10 levels and more of everything.

They are just idea I wanted to "throw away".

Keep'em comming ;-).
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Igor Savin

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 18:50 »

Poor memory - no level mapping.

Antimechanic person - weapon tend to explode in you hands with 5% chance per shoot.

Bloodophoby - lose a bit of HP (of XP) whenever step on blood ;).

Coward - start with "Coward" tactics and can't change.

Purist - no levelling.

(ok, names don't sound cool, they are placeholders)

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 19:00 »

Quoting: Igor Savin

Angel of Darkness :->

Antimechanic person - weapon tend to explode in you hands with 5% chance per shoot.

It would just be annoying and wouldn't add to the fun :-/

Sounds funny, but I don't know wether it would be fun to play.

Nah, too easy and undoomish :-D.

Purist - no levelling.

Hmm, this might be interesting...
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

JimmyJ

• Major
  • Integrated Circuit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 22:19 »

Quoting: Kornel Kisielewicz

Hmm, seems pointless to me. And somehow "undoomish".

Have you played the CyberDreams wad for doom2?? If so, you would see that is IS fun AND doomish!
Howdy.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2005, 00:20 »

Hmmm ... the Formar humans/captains/whatever are technicly speaking zombies, right? If so then how about a challenge where they ressurect after some time?
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2005, 00:32 »

Hmm, that could be a part of the Angel of Massacre challenge.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

BlackFurredBeast

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2005, 02:58 »

Make it "Trial By Fire" for the lava challenge :-)

Aerton

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2005, 08:23 »

* Angel of Berserk - you don't have the gun at start and can't pick up neither ammo nor weapons except the Combat Knife and Chainsaw. (hard challenge)

I like this very much, but this seems impossible - you will loose too much health approaching monsters.
I think, you shall be under constant untimed berserk effect to have any chance (and avoid The Wall and Spider Nest).

* Angel of Marksmanship - you start with your pistol wielded and can't unwield it at all. (medium challenge)

Undieing love for pistols? :) You'd better made them more usefull in the begging as they were in early versions.

* Angel of Carnage - you start with a chaingun, and cant't unwield it. (easy challenge)

Unless you run out of ammo at later levels. But you can caryy a lot of it, since you do not need space for shells or rockets.

* Angel of Impatience - you cannot carry medpacks -- they work instantly at pickup for you. (medium challenge)

I can't imagine later levels without previously kept meds. I think, it shall be marked as hard.

* Angel of Masochism - neither medpacks, nor healing globes work on you - you heal to 200% at levelup tough. (probably impossible to complete)

And a random chaos mutation as a side effect? :-P

* Angel of Purity - powerups don't work on you (easy challenge)

Does supercharge globe count as power-up?

* Angel of Massacre - all monsters generated are former humans, there is 2*more of them. (easy challenge)

Bah! This is supposed to be a challenge?

Somehow, I don't like the following two:

The only time when I really need a map is when I'm goind to leave the level and go around picking powerups, ammo and fidning downstairs.

Just a lot of touhgtless tile dancing. It would be more fun if only one kind of monsters split acidic blood, or a kind of barrel, that creates acid or lava pool on explosition.

BFG blasts in you hands! You die. -more-
>:-)
It needs a better name, though.

Does tactics really matter? I had never bothered with them.

Purist - no levelling.

Hmmm.... Quite unsure about this one. It adds some challenge, but leveling is fun.

However, this alone make it easy (they will all kill themself) so all monsters should be immune from lava damage (or at least they should dodge it)

Angel of Fire - More lava is generated in the level, at many places.

More lave? Oh, my!

However, this alone make it easy (they will all kill themself)

It won't be easier after I finally rewrite the AI... and this seems like a fun challenge ;-).

Great news!

Cyber Hunting - In each level, a "modified" cyberdemon (with reduce visibility and movement) spawn and try to hunt you.

I think it will devalue joy of defeating the real Cyber.

BFG Fest - More weapons and ammunition are spawned = you can even get the BFG in the first or second level.

Hm, it might devalue BFG, but finding OOD items is a cool feature of many RLs. May be, incorporate this into the standard mode, with ultra-low chance for OOD items (just like in other RLs).

Oh, so much critics, and not a single own idea :)
It's easy to be critical to other, but I'll try to think about something to conribute for you to criticise.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2005, 13:29 »

Quoting: Aerton
I like this very much, but this seems impossible - you will loose too much health approaching monsters.
I think, you shall be under constant untimed berserk effect to have any chance (and avoid The Wall and Spider Nest).

Hmm, how about giving each medikit a Berserk effect in this mode?

Does supercharge globe count as power-up?

Yup.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Aerton

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2005, 18:10 »

Hard to tell. Needs testing.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2005, 18:13 »

Ok, we'll see...

P.S. You're still up? Isn't it very late in your TimeZone? :-D
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Aerton

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2005, 20:55 »

It's sad that these modes aren't combinable - I'd like to try Massacre + Berserk >:-)

May be, even give an extra couple of points to spend on running or chainsaw traits.

Ugh, it's hard to think of anything new. All good ideas are used already :)
I thought about dive-without-killing and one-man-against-waves-of-monsters-coming-from-offscreen, but I don't think they fit, as it's about how long does it take to be killed, and not about winning.

Zephyre Syx

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2005, 04:48 »

Hmm...that whole idea may, JUST MAY, be useful if worked.  Now, the tricky part.  Why not have the cyberdemon spawned if the player takes to long in a certain floor.

Why just health globes only.  Make a little more sence, I think.
"Nah, it's not that those ideas are bad, I'm just trying to show you why I think my way of thinking is better."
-Kornel Kisielewicz
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10