Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 16:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Assault Shotguns and Solid Slugs  (Read 10431 times)

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
Assault Shotguns and Solid Slugs
« on: January 02, 2007, 12:20 »

I've recently played Doom for the first time in years, and noticed shotguns are anyway quite effective sniping weapons, which they aren't DoomRL.
This and wanting to put shells to better use on single powerful enemies without massive damage and without keeping large reserves of 10mm around (wasting lots of shell space) or facing the many disadvantages a RL has, gave me an idea:
Re-implement Assault Shotguns as weapons which work in most ways as Combat Shotguns, but "convert" shells to slugs, simply by using them as pistols would. They'll still be slow to reload, and will have the miss factor of other weapons, but will cause high damage to single targets - maybe even the shotgun's 6d3.

Aki

• Marketing/PR and Wiki Ops
  • Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
Re: Assault Shotguns and Solid Slugs
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 16:09 »

In english please?
If you mean using 10M ammo as shot shells, then provided enough shells are used at once, it could work.
[0.9.9.7]
Badges: [22/17/15/10/4/0]

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 08:50 »

No, no, not at all.
Ok, I'll try that again:
Assault Shotguns will use shells for ammo, but fire them the way a pistol fires 10mm - a single "-" - which, as far as I know, is the way real-life shotguns use slugs (hence "solid", as they're a single body, and not a "spray", which is they way shells work once fired).
Clear this time?

Valkeera

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 10:06 »

Me like. But where do we find a keyboard key for this? The numerics are already full from 1 to 0.
Angel of Death 007

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 10:27 »

Since Doom had a tighter spread patterns, why not tweak the Combat Shotgun (or the Shotgun, or both) so it has a spread pattern more similar to the original? I think it could do the trick, too.
Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 11:07 »

I personally don't really see any need for a solid slug. I know what you mean, ammo like that is available in most tactic games but I think DoomRL is fine the way it is now. The spread patten is the price you have to pay for the power and 'always hit' feature.
I think shotty and chaingun/pistol balance each other out and with weapon mods coming in the next version the weapon landscape is bound to change anyway.
Speaking of mods, maybe a shotgun specific mod...
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 11:48 »

The spread patten is the price you have to pay for the power and 'always hit' feature.
Slugs *won't* always hit, so that's not a factor, and the slow reload and one-target boundries will likely keep it from becoming over-powered.

I think shotty and chaingun/pistol balance each other out and with weapon mods coming in the next version the weapon landscape is bound to change anyway.
Speaking of mods, maybe a shotgun specific mod...
Well, I don't know anything about weapon mods just yet, so that may change my POV, but for the time being, I'm thinking aloud.
As for chaingun balance, I don't know... From my recent SG-training experiences, it seems to me much easier to play through a game not using SGs than it is to play not using CGs. Even trait-wise, EE's needed to keep your RLs working smoothly (and that CG), but Reloader's not nearly as so. EE will still be needed to work AssltSGs well, but at least you won't need ~3 10mm spaces and a CG to back them, too.

Since Doom had a tighter spread patterns, why not tweak the Combat Shotgun (or the Shotgun, or both) so it has a spread pattern more similar to the original? I think it could do the trick, too.
Aye, possible - making CmbtSGs narrow-angled, permanently or switchable w/'R' (the current 'R' doesn't seem to coserve reload time anyway, so it's better to control-'r'eload, one at a time).
But narrow-angled shotguns still don't fulfill what I had in mind, because they'll still lose a lot of power at medium range.

As for the quick-slots, maybe they could be tweaked? I was thinking, if 3 would choose the best (arbitrary) SG, you could still 'i' pick a "lesser" weapon, and the UI can include defining keys to weapons (restricted to keep it DooMish :P ).
After all, DblSGs out-class shotguns in all ways, when they can 'R'eload one barrel, and in most ways seem to out-class CmbtSGs by firing*2 where CmbtSGs fire->pump->almost fire ( and that's assuming they have shells left in them).
So, IMO:
1- LS, Combat Knife
2- (Plasma Pistol?), Pistol
3- Double Shotgun, (Assault Shotgun?), Combat Shotgun, Shotgun
4- Chaingun
5- Rocket Launcher
6- Plasma Rifle
7- BFG9000
8- Chainsaw

Special weapons will out-rank their normal class and then be picked by a first-inv-slot basis, possibly unless otherwise keyed by the user (who can, BTW, key them only through 'i'nventory ('K'?) to avoid lists that may spoil, although keying will then be permanent 'till changed again).

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 11:57 »

Slugs *won't* always hit, so that's not a factor, and the slow reload and one-target boundries will likely keep it from becoming over-powered.

[SNIP]

Aye, possible - making CmbtSGs narrow-angled, permanently or switchable w/'R' (the current 'R' doesn't seem to coserve reload time anyway, so it's better to control-'r'eload, one at a time).
But narrow-angled shotguns still don't fulfill what I had in mind, because they'll still lose a lot of power at medium range.

But since a narrower shotgun would STILL always hit as it would use normal shells (and the always-hitting feature has been heard from Kornel itself, so it's for real), I think it might balance out the medium-range factor. And they would still be next to useless at large ranges, that is the special things about shotguns.

Making slugs it's just like making a sniper rifle: pointless (in a fast-paced, action focused and not stealth focused game) and un-Doomish.

So I still think mine's a good idea :P.
Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 12:45 »

I've recently played Doom for the first time in years, and noticed shotguns are anyway quite effective sniping weapons, which they aren't [in] DoomRL.
If not for that, I'd probably also consider it undoomish.
That and I don't mean AssltSGs to make for long-range devestators, but that they will still deal *serious* damage at the LOS edge. Narrow-angles, if they will do this, will also hit multiple targets, and I'm expecting this to be overpowerd.

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 13:05 »

I agree that narrowing might make shotguns overpowered. But if that is done to the one-shell shotgun, it might cancel out the advantage. Still, it's a thing that should be thoroughly tested and tested again as to compare how does it fare against the shotgun we have now. Perhaps, to achieve balance, it might be a attachment for the shotgun - so you lose a improvement spot to have this advantage. That might work.

On the other hand, analize the weapon you have proposed:

* Deals the same amount of damage as a normal shotgun, to a single target (that's lots of PAIN)
* It hits a single enemy.
* It travels in a straight line.
* It reloads after every shot (or cocks, whatever)

Seeing that, I think Sniper Rifle instead of Assault Shotgun is more fitting :P. It just seems the description of one. Just take Intuition and Eagle Eye and OMG I R TEH 1337 PH34R SNIP4R!!!!!111oneone
Which is totally undoomish :P

Also, the name Assault Shotgun reminds me more of a Pancor Jackhammer type of weapon - a semi-automatic (or fully automatic) shotgun with a round clip that forbids one-shell at a time reloading and that is just too cool for this world. Imagine the shotting speed of a chaingun plus the pwnage of a shotgun in every shot. Hey, this could actually be another super-weapon, although it would eat shells like no tomorrow :P.

Here, take a look: http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/sh10-e.htm

Supernaut

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 07:14 »

Sniper idea seconded. I had a similar idea for some time ago. It would add 2 to LOS and have a decent firepower about 15. If the bug thing about the creatures not attacking you if they're outside your LOS will get fixed this would make an ok weapon.

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 08:13 »

Sniper idea seconded. I had a similar idea for some time ago. It would add 2 to LOS and have a decent firepower about 15. If the bug thing about the creatures not attacking you if they're outside your LOS will get fixed this would make an ok weapon.

Seeing that, I think Sniper Rifle instead of Assault Shotgun is more fitting :P. It just seems the description of one. Just take Intuition and Eagle Eye and OMG I R TEH 1337 PH34R SNIP4R!!!!!111oneone
Which is totally undoomish :P

You seem to get my post totally on the contrary on what I've said - sniper rifles do NOT make sense in DoomRL universe so they shouldn't be on the game. It aims to be a fast-paced roguelike with lots of action centered around the Doom universe, so there should be no room for grinding, stealth or 1337 sniping. It's no CounterStrikeRL or SplinterCellRL, which would have a different setting and a different approach.

Supernaut

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 08:17 »

Then why not removing Cat Eye and Intuition from traits? They don't fit into Doom fast paced action game as well :) . But we like them cause they give us advantage in the cruel world of Phobos  :)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 08:19 by Supernaut »

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 08:34 »

Then why not removing Cat Eye and Intuition from traits? They don't fit into Doom fast paced action game as well :) . But we like them cause they give us advantage in the cruel world of Phobos  :)
If what you want is having advantage, then why not add ANGELIC STEALTHY UBERPISTOL OF DEATH as starting weapon that deals 100000000000d100000000 damage per second and also renders you invisible? You could surely beat Hell down with that :P

Intuition, right now, is kind of overpowered (in my opinion) and I expect it to be nerfed slightly sometime soon. And Cateye helps sniping only if monsters do not respond back to your firing, otherwise it helps general tactics as you see more of the level at a glance, so you have a better chance of seeing what's coming to you. It's true that Cateye, compared with Intuition, is underpowered, but that's another discussion. I try not to use neither, though, because I feel a game is better won if it's a fair play. And resorting to "the easy way" is one thing, a thing that I also do (trying to get the best traits/equipment possible) but another thing is going "the cheap way", which is playing minimizing risk until it isn't risky anymore.

Perhaps the sniping factor of DoomRL should be toned down with some penalty to hit based on distance, so sniping from one part of the level to another would be almost impossible, even with Eagle Eye. That way Intuition would help you to see what's coming for you, which is what I think Kornel intended it to be.

Supernaut

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007, 09:48 »

I don't think that a sniper rifle would be totally overpowered and unrisky when the bug about monsters not attacking you when you snipe them will be eliminated. That's why i think it wound't hurt the gameplay in any way and it would be useful/
Pages: [1] 2  All