Chaosforge Forum

• March 29, 2024, 01:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New special level idea - Profane Sanctum (with The Unmaker)  (Read 4304 times)

Thexare

• Elder
  • Captain
  • I think I need a new favorite gun now...
    • View Profile

This idea came of several things:
1. I want a Doom 64 tribute in DoomRL.
2. I want the Unmaker, dammit! Maybe this should be point 1.
3. I want a ranged equivalent of the Unholy Cathedral. Well, it's rapid-fire specific, but whatever. I like the idea of a level dedicated to challenging a specific kind of build.

So, the special levels.

Profane Sanctum:
Level Feeling: This looks like a shrine of some sort...
Effect: You can only use rapid-fire weapons.
Upon using the wrong weapon: The hell with respect, you need a better gun!

Enemies consist primarily of Arachnotrons and Nightmare Imps, possibly with scattered Hell Knights and Barons of Hell for flavor. Ideally we would avoid Arch-Viles, Former Captains, and Revenants, because they (chaingunners in the Captain's case) weren't in Doom 64. When the first batch of enemies falls, the lever in the middle of the level becomes functional. Pulling it will summon the Mother Demon, and phase two of the level begins. In addition to the Mother Demon, new enemies will spawn in the level periodically, whose spawn points can be locked down with levers toward the corner of the level.

Rough level design concept:
Code: [Select]
######*################################################################*######
#············································································#
#······································.·····································#
#··························.·········.#####.···········.·····················#
#···.·····####·········###······························###·····####·········#
#········.#&·#··········###····························###······#·&#.···.····#
#········.#··#··················.···##·····##···.···············#··#.········#
#·········####········#·············##.···.##··············#····####·········#
#···>·················#······#·····················#·······#·················#
#···@·················#·····M#·.········&········.·#·······#············.····#
#·····················#······#·····················#····.··#·················#
#·····················#·············##.···.##···········.··#·················#
#·········####··················.···##·····##···.···············####·········#
#········.#··#··········###····························###······#··#.········#
#···.····.#&·#·········###······························###·····#·&#.···.····#
#·········####··············.········.#####.·········.··········####·········#
#······································.·····································#
######*################################################################*######

The *s denote where enemies will spawn in while the Mother Demon is alive. Each lever-in-a-box will close the closest spawn point. Newly-spawned enemies give no XP, and are still alive when the Mother Demon falls. The two closest walls to the middle blocking the levers (for example, for the southwest lever, it's the north and east wall) are destroyed when the Mother Demon spawns. Other than the walls by the corner levers, and maybe the four pillars near the middle lever, all walls are destructible and have lower health than normal. No enemies (other than the Mother Demon's spawn) listed, will let other people figure that out. The Unmaker spawns on the Mother Demon's corpse here (but if she's added to Ao100, not there obviously)

New Boss:

Mother Demon
M
HP: Enough.
Armor: Yes. (I'm being vague so someone better at balance can figure these out)
Attacks: Rocket Swarm 3d4x3 Fire, radius 3, accuracy +4
Melee: 5d2, 5 panel knockback - this is in case you can't block melee from functioning. I'd rather make her just hop away,  but I'm not sure that would work well. Then again, not sure you can make an attack do guaranteed knockback unrelated to damage. *shrug* The intent is to make her bad at melee, but good at avoiding it.
Description: "Damn it, she's back again? Better make sure you finish her for good this time."

The Unmaker
}
Pickup: What the !@#%* is this?
Description:
Damage: 1d10x6 Plasma (6-60)
Average Damage: 5.5x6=33
Fire Time: 1s
Reload Time: 1.5s
Accuracy: +3
Clip Size: 60
Special: Four mod slots, regardless of class or Whizkid investment. Weapon fires one more shot per mod used (example, a PTAB Unmarker is 1d11x10). Cannot be used in any assemblies. This is to represent the way the gun upgrades with the Demon Keys.

Alright, I'm sure I botched the balance horribly, but whatever. There's the concept.
Former Human Corporal
1/42 M, 7/60 S, 3/30 A
[ 6 / 1 / 0 / 0 / 0 ]

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
Re: New special level idea - Profane Sanctum (with The Unmaker)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 02:34 »

I like the idea of a rapid-fire specific area, and this level you designed may not be balanced per se, but has a good feel as presented. Not sure about the Unique item mentioned (there are a lot of new things to add for just one unique) but regardless, I think this could be adapted slightly to make things work.
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 05:02 »

This could really work as a Ao100 special level with the $128 donation level of the current donation campaign *hint, hint*
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Thexare

• Elder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 14:25 »

I like the idea of a rapid-fire specific area, and this level you designed may not be balanced per se, but has a good feel as presented. Not sure about the Unique item mentioned (there are a lot of new things to add for just one unique) but regardless, I think this could be adapted slightly to make things work.
I did have some concerns about the unique mechanics in both the level and the weapon, but it seems like the sort of thing you could make use of for other levels and weapons in the future - the enemy spawners could be a particularly nasty level event. I'd thought that it's just one thing to add for the weapon, though, as I thought mod limitations could already be set.

This could really work as a Ao100 special level with the $128 donation level of the current donation campaign *hint, hint*
Yeah, well, there's something funny about that. Y'see, $128 is more than I earn in an entire week, before expenses, and I've got bills coming up this Friday. That's why I'm posting it here. I still intend to donate (I don't live alone, I can get away with not earning a whole lot), but there's no realistic way I'm going to get to $128 before the drive ends.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 14:37 by Thexare »
Former Human Corporal
1/42 M, 7/60 S, 3/30 A
[ 6 / 1 / 0 / 0 / 0 ]

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 00:00 »

Enemy spawning isn't hard at all, the mechanics are already in game. The only really unique bits are the new monster (not hard to code), and the special requirements of the weapon.
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

Thexare

• Elder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 23:05 »

Enemy spawning isn't hard at all, the mechanics are already in game.
Does that include the ability to shut down individual spawners with a lever?

Because even if the special level doesn't get in, that could be a good random level type/event.
Former Human Corporal
1/42 M, 7/60 S, 3/30 A
[ 6 / 1 / 0 / 0 / 0 ]
Pages: [1]