Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 15:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [0.9.9.6 Ubuntu/Linux Mint] Sound oddities.  (Read 3363 times)

ZeroShift

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
[0.9.9.6 Ubuntu/Linux Mint] Sound oddities.
« on: November 18, 2012, 12:00 »

In both my Linux Mint 13 and Ubuntu 12.10 installs I've had some issue with sound (not music.)

Sound effects play slower than they're supposed to, making them sound off and far deeper in tone than they're supposed to. I assume DoomRL's relation to SDL is to blame but I have no idea where to start.

Interesting note: DoomRL on Wine runs and sounds perfect. However, native software is always preferable.

I'll upload some output samples if you'd like.

EDIT: Another thing of note related to sound. I cannot for the life of me get DoomRL to start with FMOD set as it's sound output. Getting a hold of a copy of libfmod(-3.75).so was hard enough, but DoomRL won't even so much as give me an error when attempting to start with FMOD instead of SDL. Did you happen to build this with a different FMOD library?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 12:05 by ZeroShift »

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Re: [0.9.9.6 Ubuntu/Linux Mint] Sound oddities.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 12:19 »

Are you using the high quality or low quality soundset?

I am aware that there are many problems on Linux when it comes to sound, but all of them are unfortunately SDL's fault :/. I will try with SDL 2.0 statically linked later, and possibly also convert all the sounds and music to OGG (that would fix a lot). As far as FMOD goes, bindings are only present for Windows systems -- I didn't expect anyone wanting to use it under Linux, all things considered.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

ZeroShift

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 13:50 »

High quality. I've seen scripts to convert the music to ogg, do you by any chance have one for just the sound effects?

AStranger

• First Lieutenant
  • Cyberdemon Blade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 00:24 »

High quality. I've seen scripts to convert the music to ogg, do you by any chance have one for just the sound effects?
No idea how well this works, I've been away for a bit and only tested this as far as the main menu, but it didn't seem to break anything. Hopefully it does, I'm not having the same problem so I don't know if it'll fix anything. Pretty much just quickly ripped off an earlier script I wrote.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 00:25 by AStranger »
[24|23|20|18|13] v.0.9.9.3
[17|10|8|5|2] v.0.9.9.2
[15|11|10|6|3] v.0.9.9.1
[18|17|14|10|6] v.0.9.9

ZeroShift

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 18:26 »

Sadly, this did not fix the problem :/

Interesting note, the sound effects in the low-quality version play perfectly fine. Problem verified on two different Linux Mint 13 machines.

EDIT: I imported the sounds from the low-quality version in to the high-quality version and they play just fine...just at a lower quality :P
Could this problem be related to the sample rate and how the DoomRL executable handles it?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 18:37 by ZeroShift »
Pages: [1]