Chaosforge Forum

• April 27, 2024, 11:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Need expert help with the (un)chained court.  (Read 9288 times)

Sylph

• Elder
  • Major
  • Galaxy Angel
    • View Profile
Re: Need expert help with the (un)chained court.
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 18:38 »

Tried my strategy once again.
SoB2,Fin1, WK1(2). Took WK as filler trait.
6 attempts from the same save file.Started CC+ with 30% hp.
4 won , 3 of them with one pack left intact, in 2 of 4 had to use 1 small medpack.Once it was just to be safe.
2 lost, first when i was at 64% hp and allowed two captains kill me, other was when AM lost his focus when i was retreating for chainsaw and i lost my berserk  when searching for him.
So i think my strategy is not really luck based. Both deaths were due to my mistakes.
If interested, i can post them too. 30 Mb all.I believe that leaving barons behind and charging for AM while here's somewhere in the open is a very bad idea.
First of all there's a lot of captains, which can do substantial damage to you. And you're not even sure you can retreat if things go wrong, because there can be a baron blocking your way to your healing.

4/7 games really doesn't sound like good odds, but I'll revisit your strat tomorrow and see if it feels sturdy. To be fair I incorporated a lot of your corner work on the right of the start room into my current method, and I'm thankful for your advice there. :)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 18:43 by Sylph »
Badges:
DRL:26 22 22 19 13 6
  JH:15 13 11   7   2

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 02:59 »

4/6, and all 6 cleared starting location.
5 more attempts from the same save.
1.54% hp left in the end.
2.98% hp left.
3.100% hp left.
4.100% hp left.
5.100% hp left.
Well, if you devise more efficient strategy, i'll be happy to use it.
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

Sambojin

• First Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 04:23 »

Now this is just theoretical advice for now (I'll give it a go tonight), but I've had a bit of success with the "grab the zerks and melee/DBshotty" style, but I haven't played for a while either. With the new AI for enemies, you can't be sure of just where the AM will be, except that he'll be on the left if you don't muck around.

So, what's the problem? All we need is an express route to the AM. Which means rocket jumps from the H.arena RL. Have your RL as your switch weapon, grab both zerks and the chainsaw, switch, rocket-jump. Reload, rocket-jump. You should have sailed past most of the captains and all barons by then, if not then jump again. If you're not near the AM now, something has gone screwy. If you are, switch to the chainsaw, melee him down and then plink off every other enemy with you main weapon/with RL backup in case.

Should take 3 rockets, the HA blue armour, 1 large medikit for healing at the end, and maybe another medikit (any size) in between for screw-ups. At most.

I'll try it in a minute and tell you how it works.

Hehehehe, once again playing DoomRL when I should be making a mod for something.

Sambojin

• First Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2012, 05:54 »

Yep, it works fine to get you there. I made the mistake of wearing my blue armour in (should have put it on once I'd rocket jumped there). I also got caught up on a captain a couple of times, costing me a move and a bit of health/armour. But 3 rocket jumps and you're there (with a bit less health than you started with of course. Quite a bit less. Maybe mix and match? Run at the start, two jumps perhaps?).

Because you've been specifically mentioning a technician, I made up a quick save with a technician for you to practice with. As requested, it's totally build un-specific. Well, it could probably fire a pistol a bit, but I haven't used a pistol since the first 3-4 formers I killed in level 1. I have taken the liberty to drop your technical mod onto your original shotgun. It just made the run really easy up to that point (plus I got plenty lucky, not many knights, etc).

It's about as easy as I could make it. You've got a tech modded shotty, a RL, 2 chainguns, heaps of armour, stacks of medikits and plenty of ammo. And some powercells, for no real reason. You've also got 170% health due to a supercharge on the previous level. I really shouldn't have grabbed it, but you'll have enough bullet soak to REALLY test things out on what works and what doesn't.

The build was WK->WK->SoaG->SoaG->DG. So absolutely no help from the build for you. And a really nice set of boots or armour after you nail the level. Or nice pistols. Whatever you want.

I was really damn lucky, I got all this crap on my second try. By all means, if you have a pet hate of save-scumming, you're not obligated to use it. But it's a re-useable one, with all kinds of things to try, no build advantage, and a big health buffer (which I shouldn't have included. It sort of nullifies half the point of a test save). Just remove everything in the filename after the word "save", copy it to your DoomRL directory, and you're good to go.

BTW, Rocket jumping does work to get you to the AM. It doesn't work well though. You'll see just how much life it'll cost you. But it does get you there.

Anyway, here it is:

« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 06:14 by Sambojin »

Evilpotatoe

• Backer
  • Major
  • Lost Soul corpse
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2012, 06:44 »

Hi folks,
I was entering the (un)chained courts with my UV marksman (after some hesitation) and tought back about this topic...

Since CC+ are already a pain with RL and chainsaw, how am I supposed to deal with, when playing a stupid AOMr scout ?
Seems my only option to gib the barons is to lure them in the start room, probably using giftdropping. Considering the 4 doors of the room and the time it will take (which could bring the AM to me), it still sounds like a crazy strategy... (as was the choice to enter the CC, I guess)
Btw, there's a lot of other tough problems to solve, since I can't gib the captains either, the zerks duration is way shorter than with a marine, and my firepower & hp are quite low.
My odds of making it seem ridiculously low to me, but I hate skipping levels so much I'd prefer finding a way to -at least- have a decent chance to survive. I guess 50% could be enough for me in such a case, but I wonder if such a treshold is possible to reach...

I think it is for you, so, would you be kind enough to give me some advices ? (including "just skip it" ;)

About my build.. I'm trying to go for MCE, Starting with SoG->SoG->DG->SoG->SoB (next are supposed to be ->SoB->Int[->Int2]->TH->MCE[->Int2]->??? with some Iro probably filling the ???, will depend on what I think I need at this point.... once I manage to reach it.

To give you a rough idea of my skill level :
Won once on UV
Won AoI/AoB/AoLt/Ao100 & AoCn on HMP. Outside of AoHu/AoMs/AoP, most seem quite easy to me by now.
Won all challenges on HNTR (except AoHu, tried yesterday... died after Cybie to a commando which opened a door + walked in + one-shot me trough cerberus armor... didn't understand how, since he moves at 100% and waiting is supposed to "take exactely 1 sec", from what I read, but anyway, completion is only a few tries away)
Badges - [26/26/26/22/9/2] - 42/43

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 04:24 »

When I was playing UV AoMr I remember three ways of corpse disposal:

- luring wounded monsters onto doors and killing them here (usually at point blank range);
- luring wounded monsters onto corpses and killing them;
- this is not a "true" method, but was working quite often: luring monsters to the right side of map, behind doors (and closing them afterwards), so the bodies are outside AM's LoS;

2DeviationsOut

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2012, 14:38 »

Basically, use shotguns only for knockback, but that's valuable. Secondly, learn to cornershoot, and if possible stack the corpses by knowing your average DPS at variable range, so you can know when you'll get a kill. Second, try to radarshoot the AM and trigger him so that you can radarshoot at him while he comes after you, and then kill him once he gets inside the bunker.
Pages: 1 [2]  All