Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 15:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: This game's difficulty is a bit off in places IMO  (Read 25009 times)

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
Re: This game's difficulty is a bit off in places IMO
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2012, 11:55 »

I just did a HNTR AoPc speedrun and I found the Lost Souls at the anomaly easy to deal with; I just stood still for a couple seconds and let the Cacodemons hit me.  Their splash damage finished off all the Souls with just a couple of hits, and then I went through the door and closed it behind me so the Cacodemons couldn't follow.  I found the Bruiser Brothers trickier to get past in comparison, but Dodgemaster was a big help there.

And on a side note, I was four seconds shy of getting Pacifism Gold.  *sigh*

I tried it as well. "Beat" it on second attempt. I managed to make tactical armour before anomaly, so I simply outran the damn skulls. At worst you get a few nasty bites. I didn't beat the game though - on level 2 I tried my luck with a lever and got completely surrounded by imps and formers. Seeing no way out of the situation, I placed the nuke, only to see the formers blasted apart by an imp. I ran to the stairs and made it in the very last second. When I reached the mastermind, I had no nuke so I let her kill me. Awkward.

Oh, and it seems I would have gotten Pacifist Gold with time to spare if I didn't use up the nuke (and if I didn't have it already). I wasn't even trying for a speedrun and actually stopped for a few seconds to pet my cat =)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2012, 14:27 »

Oh, and it seems I would have gotten Pacifist Gold with time to spare if I didn't use up the nuke (and if I didn't have it already). I wasn't even trying for a speedrun and actually stopped for a few seconds to pet my cat =)

KITTY!!!  :D

(er...  *ahem*)

Yeah, apparently, I never got Pacifist Gold for this version.  That's been corrected now, so time for me to update my signature!  :)
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Cheesybox

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2012, 15:56 »

Guess I haven't logged enough hours to learn this stuff. I feel like all my buddies when I'm teaching them League XP (they always lose to such and such a champ, I go and destroy them, and I'm like "its easy, just do this, this, and that")
Totally forgot about rocketjumping, and totally forgot about phase devices.
Trying to just win a normal UV game and having a tough time dealing with the Hellknights that spawn on level 2 or 3. And a question I've had for some time about you pro guise. What does your inventory usually look like? Depending on the weapon I usually keep 5 or 6 stacks of ammo for when formers stop spawning and I can't resupply off them and then use rockets and plasma when revs/mancubi/arachnos spawn constantly. Is that too much? And what about envirosuits and phase devices? I like to keep one for those "just in case" moments.

Edit: Like the bizzare Los vs bullet travel lines. I know just because you can't see a monster doesn't mean you can't hit them (like radar- and corner-shooting) but like weird S curves. Sometimes you can hit em with shottys, other times not. Like I just cleared out the Chained Court by throwing shells at the Barons from the middle. Took maybe 80 or 90 shells, but zero damage taken to gain a level? I'll take that any day.
So is a shotgun and a stack of shells worth keeping for the whole game?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 16:29 by Cheesybox »
0.9.9.7: Cyberdemon Colonel
[26/20/18/4/1/0] [25M/62S/40A]

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2012, 16:34 »

My inventory looks like a complete mess as i want to take everything. In reality it heavily depends on the game type and build.
General tip: take enough ammo to be sure it will be enough for your playstyle, take consumables that you think will be useful, if you're not sure that you use something (you have that feeling from your experience) maybe you're better off taking something else.
Sorry, I want to be more specific about it but if i try to write all my thoughts now it'll take too much time and it's kinda late. Maybe tomorrow.
Also someone already wrote a guide about inventory management, you can try searching for it.
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2012, 20:33 »

Trying to just win a normal UV game and having a tough time dealing with the Hellknights that spawn on level 2 or 3. And a question I've had for some time about you pro guise. What does your inventory usually look like? Depending on the weapon I usually keep 5 or 6 stacks of ammo for when formers stop spawning and I can't resupply off them and then use rockets and plasma when revs/mancubi/arachnos spawn constantly. Is that too much? And what about envirosuits and phase devices? I like to keep one for those "just in case" moments.
Depends on build, challenge, etc. Knights are easy to be dealt with using combat shotgun, for example.

If you use shotties then keep shells no matter what, if you use rapid fire weapons go for bullets and plasma afterwards ...

Inventory on non-challenge build:
Keep 1-2 env packs (if you go for Lava Pits get 2-3). Keep 2-3 phase / homing phase devices (more if going for specific special levels). Keep RL and 1-2 stacks of rockets. Keep shotgun and 2-3 stacks of shells for radar shotting. Keep 1-few weapons of choice and enough ammo. Keep 2-5 med packs. Keep some spare armors.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2012, 22:06 »

It's interesting seeing different playing styles reflected in inventory choices!  :D

Personally, I don't bother with envirosuits at all, unless I'm going for the Lava Pits, in which case I take just one.  Most of the time, I can get around levels without stepping in fluids, and even if I do, I only step in one or two squares, and if I do it while running, I take minimal damage.  As for the Lava Pits, there are three envirosuits on that level, so I only need one to get me as far as one of the islands that has one, and then I can use those ones to complete the level.  (Of course, I usually play Nightmare, so the suits last longer; if you're playing a lower difficulty level, you might want to bring more)  :)  Of course, it's worth noting that envirosuits give 25% fire and acid protection to your whole body, so they can also be used to give you an edge in combat.  (perhaps against the Cyberdemon?)  Personally, I'd rather just avoid getting hit in the first place, but depending on your playing style, using the suits like that might be a good strategy for you.

I usually take one Phase Device, preferably a Homing Phase Device, just in case.  I find Phase Devices too unreliable; they take me into the middle of danger as often as they get me out of it.  Of course, again, this may be a reflection of the fact that I play Nightmare difficulty, so there are a lot more enemies, even in areas I've already explored.  If I have an HPD, I'll often clear the area around the exit first, so that if I run into any trouble elsewhere in the level, I know that using the HPD will take me to safety.

If I'm playing Nightmare, at least two stacks of rockets, maybe more.  (They're the easiest way to get rid of bodies, so I want a lot of them)  Otherwise, one stack is sufficient, in case I want to do some wall-busting or if Arch-Viles are giving me trouble.  :)

5 or 6 med-packs, and 3 or 4 spare suits of armour.  (If I have regenerating armour, like the Tactical Armour, then just one spare suit of armour)

The rest depends on what build I'm using, but I like to have a lot of shells, because I'm fond of radar shooting with the shotgun, I like the ability to damage multiple targets with the spread, and the knock-back is frequently useful as well.  I'll take maybe 4 stacks or more of shells.  (and yes, I use them to the end of the game)  I only carry bullets if I'm using either a pistol build, rapid-fire build, or if I'm playing Angel of 100 and I need some back-up ammo in case I run out of other stuff.  (I'd rather melt my enemies with plasma weaponry)  :)  Oftentimes, I'll have a Chaingun in my inventory, but I won't carry any bullets besides the ones already in the Chaingun.  I just keep it around in case I need some precision shooting, but I don't have time to reload the Plasma Rifle.

EDIT:  And, of course, I'll have one melee weapon, usually the Chainsaw, or in the late-game, Longinus Spear or Azrael's Scythe.  If it's Angel of 100, it'll probably be a Chainsword.  Maybe someday, if I'm lucky, it'll be the Dragonslayer.  ;)

EDIT2:  And on an unrelated note, I just played a little more of IWBTG, and I came to the irrefutable conclusion that the designers are assholes.  :P
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 00:44 by Tormuse »
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2012, 05:43 »

EDIT2:  And on an unrelated note, I just played a little more of IWBTG, and I came to the irrefutable conclusion that the designers are assholes.  :P
There was a guy that completed the game without dying at all.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2012, 05:48 »

There was a guy that completed the game without dying at all.

I wouldn't want to be that guy.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2012, 12:19 »

I wouldn't want to be that guy.

http://instantrimshot.com/

Why? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTEealbXCYw

Yeah, I saw that video after I gave up trying to win.  :P  I doubt I'll ever muster the patience to go through the whole game, but I thought the tributes to classic Nintendo games were pretty cool!  :)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

2DeviationsOut

« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2012, 14:54 »

I understand why people use armor that restricts movespeed, but IMO it's a mistake. If you check over my mortems, you'll almost never see me wearing anything that drops movespeed, and usually I'll use anything that boosts it. For example, I won't use Red Armor if I have tactical armor, and the only thing that'll get me to drop my tac boots is something that gives me more speed, like gravs. Basically, it's a fool's game to think about taking less damage from something. Most enemies on the harder difficulties are lethal enough that you'll just get blown away. So, you need to dodge everything that comes in, and max your offense so you can kill things before they can fire.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2012, 09:02 »

Yeah, as my skill has improved in this game over the past couple years, (has it really been that long?)  I've found that I really, really value speed over armour...  But I do still remember my beginnings, back when I was playing 0.9.9.1.  I wasn't able to win until I regularly got TaN and Iro because I kept getting instakilled by the late game enemies.  (especially Mancubi!  GRR!)  Eventually, I learned how to avoid taking a lot of that damage in the first place, (though I haven't honed that ability to the level of 2DeviationsOut here)  ;)  and was able to cut down on my use of those traits.  So, I guess what I'm saying is that for me, as a beginning player, armour was a useful crutch to keep me alive long enough to figure out the game well enough that I didn't really need it any more...  which isn't to say I never wear, say, red or blue armour; I just use them as my back-up for select situations, rather than wearing them all the time.

Also, since you seem to have joined this discussion, 2Dev, I'm curious about what you have to say about our above conversation about inventory.  What does your inventory selection typically look like?
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

2DeviationsOut

« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2012, 13:49 »

Well, my inventories are different depending on the build. If I'm going MAC, then I'll have:

2-3 backpacked stacks of ammo for my main
A couple of B-mod BFGs for ammo storage
1 backup primary
1-2 Homing Phases
1 Phase
1 Large Medkit
1 Piercing Chainsaw (For the UC)
Maybe 1 enviropack
1 Arena Master's Staff
The rest is all mods/exotics/uniques

If I'm not going MAC, then I'll carry the same utility set, but 5-6 stacks of ammo.

Buzzard

• Bronze Supporter
  • Elder
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2012, 14:01 »

Does anyone else feel that Tower of Babel on certain difficulties is just too hard without a specific build or a phase device?
Hell Baron Captain [16/12/8/0/0]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]