Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 15:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Add a using direction for usable items (medpacks, phase devices)  (Read 5100 times)

Equality

• Second Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile

Of course, at 99% situations we always use them on self (num '5'). But I see a good usage for sometimes teleport not self, but one of monsters surrounds you. Using medpacks on monsters is not a good idea... but who knows may be we have a pet or some kind of companions in later versions? Or special level with another marine, who must be alive on completing?
Once advanced DoomRL player
Find mysterious sword Dragonslayer
Say "Best thing ever found!" and start jumping around...
But he can't get the sword from the ground

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
Re: Add a using direction for usable items (medpacks, phase devices)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 08:05 »

Other than the fact that all of the items are designed to be used only on the user (and would therefore require somewhat significant exceptions for every single item), as a player I think I would find the need for an additional keypress quite frustrating, especially because you WOULD be using it on yourself 99% of the time. Part of DoomRL's appeal is that there are relatively few keypresses outside of movement and combat, allowing for a very streamlined setup in which you aren't getting hampered or dragged down by making sure you press what you want to. Besides, once you're allowed to use items in a direction, people will want the ability to drop in a direction, or maybe give items to monsters.

In my opinion, it just overcomplicates a simple game, so it's not worth the potential benefit.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 08:10 »

I agree. I can't think of a situation where giving a medkit to an enemy would be advantageous, and there already is a way to teleport enemies, though it is quite rare - the combat translocator.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

singalen

• Supporter
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 07:21 »

I just thought that a pet or another doomguy that will fight for you is maybe even possible in the current mods system.
Hmm, I could try that.
Using a medpack only if friends are near would ask for a direction, like closing a door.

Evilpotatoe

• Backer
  • Major
  • Lost Soul corpse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 08:45 »

Agree on the fact that one more keypress wouldn't be worth it. but with a new command, there wouldn't be a problem.

About the door closing system, I hate it : too inconsistent, and makes me make mistakes, like close and reopen a door, just because I wanted to precise the direction of a single door.
Badges - [26/26/26/22/9/2] - 42/43

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 10:09 »

Uh... why was this necro-ed?

The door closing system is consistent -- hit the close button, if there is only one door, it closes, otherwise pick the direction corresponding to the door.  If you cannot figure out which direction to press on your numpad (assuming you didn't try to do vi-keys) to close the door, I think you might have more serious issues to worry about.
I computed, therefore I was.

Nick

• First Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 12:34 »

Giving items to enemies... Ahem...
I imagine a Mancubus hitting a Former Human with an edge of a blastwave. Former Human attacks the Mancubus, and I solicitously give him my old Rocket Launcher and run away.

Advanced game physics can be relatively simple but can provide possibilities for very complicated and/or effective tactics. For smart players, of course. I've heard this about hardcore rogue-likes, but never actually tried. DoomRL is the only RL I play.

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 15:16 »

The door closing system is consistent -- hit the close button, if there is only one door, it closes, otherwise pick the direction corresponding to the door.
The number of key presses it takes to close a door depends on where you're standing.  I wouldn't call it consistent.
Pages: [1]