DoomRL > Modding

[Design] DukeRL

<< < (4/9) > >>

Klear:
@Motorheadbanger

Homing phase automatically targets the stairs. I'm wondering if it is possible to make an item, which would, when used, allow you to aim in the same way you aim weapons when firing. Duke would then jump/move rapidly to that point, which would simulate a speed burst from the jetpack.

Edit: If it is indeed true that this cannot be done, but could be done by making jetpack and possibly other items into "weapons", basically converting the two weapon slots from DoomRL into a weapon and item slots (and of course allow instant swapping by default). In that case you'd have your weapon ready and could choose which item you want in the prepared slot - jetpack, holoduke, pipebombs, tripmines etc.
Hmmm... and it would give some justification to the "Portable Medkit". The smaller variants would be used normally from inventory as in DoomRL, while the portable one could be equipped into this quick use item slot and could be used fast/instantly, the way engineers use items.

@Equality

I never said I want to make a 1:1 copy of Duke3d. That would obviously be impossible. I hope the game can capture the feeling of the game, which is something I think DoomRL succeeded in.

As to the rest of your post - did you read my notes on the things you mention? I already pretty much already said all which you suggest. Maybe I misunderstand you, since I have no idea what static levels have to do with the way tripwires and holoduke behave. (BTW, the holoduke doesn't work in Duke3d - the AI doesn't reflect it at all. It's usable only in multiplayer, despite appearing in single player)

Uitë:
The Duke Nukem 2 Flamethrower would be nice too. In that game it could be used as a crude jetpack in addition to being a weapon. I'm thinking it would be awesome as something that functions like a fire-based shotgun, with (damageless?) rocket jumping alt fire.

Klear:

--- Quote from: Uitë on December 13, 2012, 08:12 ---The Duke Nukem 2 Flamethrower would be nice too. In that game it could be used as a crude jetpack in addition to being a weapon. I'm thinking it would be awesome as something that functions like a fire-based shotgun, with (damageless?) rocket jumping alt fire.

--- End quote ---

I really need to play through Duke 2 again, and play through the Atomic Edition. And watch some full "let's play" of DNF. Research. From what I read, a flamethrower was planned for Duke3d at some point, though it eventually ended up being the freezethrower, so having a flamethrower in the game is definitely a possibility. I should add it to the list of weapons once I do more research. I'd keep it as a quite rare exotic weapon of course, since it's not something usually associated with Duke.
I'm not sure about the alt-fire - if it turns out possible to make a jetpack item, it should be more frequently found than the flamethrower and as such the alt-fire would probably be superfluous.

In any case, thanks for the feedback! Keep it comming. (I'm adressing all of you who posted now).

Hamster:
BTW, DN3D:Atomic is available for free on GOG.com till December 14, 14:59 GMT.

thelaptop:
I've an elaboration on the Jetpack mechanic.  It has a fuel gauge, the cost per jump is 2+number of tiles, and if there is anything in between, you deal damage (and take damage) if you wham into any of them, possibly causing knockback.  That would be an interesting mechanic to think about instead of mere teleportation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version