Chaosforge Forum

• March 19, 2024, 04:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: [Design] DukeRL  (Read 35465 times)

Trar

• Backer
  • Sergeant
  • dsvilsit.wav
    • View Profile
Re: [Design] DukeRL
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2013, 10:42 »

I've recently found a pack with all the sounds from not only DN3D, but the Life's A Beach and possibly Duke It Out In DC expansions. If you're thinking of doing related stuff, it could be useful.
0.0.9.7: Former Human Lance Corporal

Trar

• Backer
  • Sergeant
  • dsvilsit.wav
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2013, 06:59 »

I also just found the sounds from DNF. I still need the sounds from the two DNF expansion packs and the first two games, though.
0.0.9.7: Former Human Lance Corporal

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2013, 03:23 »

OK, I should really start working on this some more. I've just posted a bit in the Babes section (and it's not because thelaptop announced his return either, I swear! I started writing a bit yesterday!)

I've built a brand new computer not long ago and I'm finally going through Duke Nukem Forever. It's surprisingly fun considering what I expected. It doesn't seem there are any interesting elements that should be cannibalized into DukeRL.

Next up is charater development, I see. I've been putting this off for now, but it seems I no longer have choice. I'll try to write something today.

@Trar
I think that should come in handy at some point... great!
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2013, 07:14 »

Your post had me looking for images from the classic Duke Nukem (in all its sixteen glorious colours), when I ran into this. Bonus level?

[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2013, 23:35 »

Hey Klear, are we gunning for a TC or a mod?  This will determine how much new code we need to write other than just superficial item changes.

I think I can commit time to getting this done, so in either case it is still fine.
I computed, therefore I was.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2013, 05:00 »

I haven't thought about that. A lot of the stuff I'd like to see already goes beyond superficial changes, I think. I'd, of course, prefer to do make it the best we can. Hell, I'm willing to learn to code just so I could help out as well. Can't be that hard, right?

BTW, as long as the finished product is DukeRL, I think it counts as a TC as long as nothing refers to Doom any more...

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
Re: DukeRL
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2013, 07:21 »

* I can't think of any way for you to make use of pipe bombs. You can't force-fire a weapon and you can't manually aim either, so 'throwing' them simply won't work.  Same goes for the tripmine.

I've been going through the modding section of DoomRL wiki and found the OnEnter() hook for items. Could be used to make pipe bombs basically into proximity mines?
Some other considerations:
 - pre-generated bombs shouldn't be armed. Can we make unarmed bombs that remove themselves from the game on pickup and create an armed copy of themselves in the player's inventory? Possibly this can be done in an easier way.
- can we make each pipe bomb a weapon with primary attack based on the secondary attack of combat knife?
- can the item check whether there is an enemy on top of it right after it is thrown (or rather, after it lands), triggering an immediate explosion? No biggie if not, though.
- the mines would probably be activated even when simply dropped. I don't see a problem with this, as long as...
- can the OnEnter() hook exclude Duke from creatures that can trigger the explosion?

If the answer to most of these is yes, I guess that is the way to go. Tripmines would be redundant after that, of course. Also, the pipe bombs wouldn't be able to stack in the inventory, but I guess that's ok too.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 07:23 by Klear »

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2013, 07:31 »

Alright, lemme start with coding some look-and-feel changes first.  I'm being evil and have put up a vote (for 30 days) for folks to help us decide if we should do it as a TC or mod.

;-)

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2013, 20:44 »

Urgh.  Project update: I've been sidelined by real life (and work).

Since folks want a TC, I'll see what I can do.

Kashi

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • I'm going with the Alucard now
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2013, 16:56 »

Try not to overdo it. Things get ugly when you overwork, as one obviously can imagine.
0.9.9.5 - Archvile 2nd Lieutenant
[22][10][5][1][0]
"Tururu..."

Lilfut

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2014, 13:02 »

It seems like it's been a while since any work has been done on this, which is unfortunate, since it seems really cool. Has anyone suggested using Rise of the Triad weapons, like the Heatseeker or Drunk Missile yet? The games' tones are pretty close, after all, particularly with the RoTT remake.

Also, since it is Duke, the notification messages should have a bit more attitude.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All