Chaosforge Forum

  • December 14, 2019, 11:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.



Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: All Outta Bubblegum  (Read 17010 times)

Klear

  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1319
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
All Outta Bubblegum
« on: December 16, 2012, 09:33 »

Due to all the research for DukeRL, I'm pretty immersed in everything related to Duke and I came across this simple and quite possibly awesome RPG system:

All Outta Bubblegum

I thought about it a bit and decided to run a game here, if there's interest.

Basic rules

If you read the rules, you'll see it's simplicity itself - the players only have a single "stat", and that is the amount of bubblegum they carry around, which starts at 8 and can go all the way down to 0. All possible actions are divided between "asskicking" and "everything else". To succeed in any normal action (opening a door, hacking a computer, persuading someone etc.), you have to roll a 1d10 and get a number less than or equal to the amount of bubblegum you possess. To succeed in an asskicking (kicking a door open, blasting an alien with a shotgun, beating someone to get him to do what you want etc.), you also roll a 1d10, but you need to score more than how many sticks of bubblegum you have.

You lose bubblegum whenever you fail at a standard action, when somebody kicks your ass or you can spend one to guarantee a success at a non-asskicking related activity.

That means that at first the players will be quite inefficient asskickers, more likely to succeed through other means, but with time and bubblegum chewing, you'll become mean badasses until, eventually, you run all outta gum. The good thing is that at that point you will automatically succeed in any asskicking you decide to unleash. The bad thing is that you won't be able to tie your shoelaces, unless you manage to turn the act into an asskicking.

I will keep track of an additional stat - ego. It will go up with every spectacular display of asskicking and serve as hippoints in the AOB stage, and get lowered by enemy attacks and by some really embarrassing failures, asskicking or not. This will be a secret stat - after all, no shame in having a gigantic ego, but you shouldn't obsess about it. I'll sometimes let you know of the changes of this by saying stuff like "You feel like a total badass right now." or "having failed to kick down the door, a wave of insecurity washes over you."

Setting

The game is initially set in LA, Red Light District, just before the events of Duke Nukem 3D (if you recall, he comes back from space only to find the alien assault is already in progress). The LAPD gets mutated into pig cops, babes are abducted all over the place and nasty aliens swarm the streets. The whole world is wondering when is Duke coming to save us, and you players form a rag-tag group trying to survive in the meantime and maybe even take the fight to the enemy, if you will be so incline. There's going to be an option to go to space and in any case you'll be able to witness some classic scenes from the game, maybe even meeting the King himself. It is Duke's task to save the world, though, so your primary concern should be survival. And who knows? Maybe one or two of you whom I don't kill off will grow to become almost Duke's equal.

Characters

You can create any sort of character - an EDF recruit on leave, a drug dealer whose hoes got abducted by the aliens, a homeless guy who, seeing the aliens attack the City of Angels, decides that "this will not stand" or whatever else you fancy. That said, the game will begin just before the initial alien attack edit: in a night club, to be precise, so don't put the aliens in your background wihtout consulting me, perhaps. Or you could play just a generic guy and let him evolve on his own. No need to get too elaborate here.

Additional details

I'll be probably tinkering with the rules on the go, and in any case I'll ultimately decide things by feel, so there might be inconsistencies in my rulings. Just deal with it. What I say goes. I'll take the precise number rolled into account to see how well you succeeded, or how miserably you failed. I will also favour you based on how badass action you try to perform. If you succeed on a roll to see if you can kick a pig cop with all your might, you'll hurt the enemy. If you roll the same number to grab him by the tusks and ram his head into a toilet while saying "You need to take a bath," an instant kill is pretty much guaranteed, as well as an ego boost. Shouting a one-liner and then failing to deliver could hurt your ego though.

Also, it will ultimately be me who decides if some action is asskicking or not. You can of course ask me before trying something that falls in the grey-area. For example - jumping through a second floor window and breaking your fall on a fruit stall - you'd best hope you have a lot of bubblegum, since that is not asskicking, even though it is quite badass. Jumping through a second floor window and breaking your fall on an unsuspecting pig cop though, that is asskicking. Very simple actions like taking (except persuading, seducing etc), walking around, running outside combat or hiding in a cupboard will be free, no rolls necessary. That last one will definitely hurt your ego, of course. Some combat actions, such as avoiding an enemy's charge are still non-asskicking. Anything to do with violence, especially the unnecessary kind, will probably fall down to asskicking though. Sometimes I might decide to split a complicated action into two - if there is an enforcer in the room, turned back to you, sneaking up on him and then strangling him would be two separate actions.

Oh, and to try to avoid this game stalling and dying out, I'll simply run the actions that you write and if someone doesn't play for some time, we'll just assume that the character stayed with the group and did nothing important. I'll also be quite tempted to kill you off when I get the chance, while allowing anybody to pretty much join at any time with a new character, so if the original players lose interest, the game can continue with new ones. If you really really don't want  me to kill your character, there's an easy defense - make them memorable and interesting. A group of tough-as-nails marines, each with a mysterious past and motivated by some personal tragedy will not make it too long in this game =P



So anyway... anybody interested? Questions? Suggestions?

I'd like to get this started as soon as possible. I'll just need a couple of days to make a draft of the overall story and 2-3 willing players and we can start, I think.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 09:47 by Klear »
Logged
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

thelaptop

  • Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2459
  • Grumpy Admin
    • View Profile
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 10:17 »

I'm in.  And I don't even chew gum [in real life] -- so I'm always outta gum.

Does this mean I'm a badass by definition [in real life]?  =P
Logged
I compute, therefore I am.

Hell Baron 1st Lieutenant (0.9.9.7)
[20/12/8/0/0/0]

Uitë

  • Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 113
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 10:22 »

I'm definitely interested!
Logged
Arch-Vile 1st Lieutenant
[26|12|6|1|0]

ParaSait

  • Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1223
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 10:33 »

Lol this sounds fun. Count me in.
Logged
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

HexaDoken

  • Sergeant
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 61
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 10:09 »

Welp, you know me well. I'm in.
Logged
2nd Lieutenant Hell Baron, Body Count: 43879
Wins:[1|7|1|0|0] Deaths: [7|90|26|16|2] Badges:[18|10|4|0|0]
Highest Score: 214763
Currently Doing: AoB HNTR

ZicherCZ

  • Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 728
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 12:59 »

Does this mean I'm a badass by definition [in real life]?  =P
Find and consume a health globe while you're at full health. If you are still overpowered after a few minutes, you are a badass by definition ;).
Logged
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

HexaDoken

  • Sergeant
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 61
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 04:37 »

If I am out of bubblegum and suddenly a CLOSED DOOR blocks my path, can I atleast cheat out and shout "GUYS HELP IGOR DOOR CONFUSES IGOR" and hope for a less crazy teammate come and open the door?

That makes me think of a strategy where one of the players purposely wastes bubblegum left and right and transform into a machine of fury, while all the other players run behind and help him with the "strange gizmos of the world".
Logged
2nd Lieutenant Hell Baron, Body Count: 43879
Wins:[1|7|1|0|0] Deaths: [7|90|26|16|2] Badges:[18|10|4|0|0]
Highest Score: 214763
Currently Doing: AoB HNTR

Klear

  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1319
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 05:39 »

When you get All Outta Bubblegum, I'd advise you to solve ALL your problems with violence. I'm gonna allow kicking the door down to be considered asskicking. Yelling for others to help you is fine, I think, but don't forget - being all outta bubblegum doesn't make you stupid. It makes you so filled with rage that you can physically incapable of anything that is not asskicking, so something more along the lines of:

A *bangs on a massive door, nearly dislocating his shoulder and breaking his arm* "OPEN YOU MOTHERFUCKER!!"
B *comes to the door, presses the handle gently and opens it*
A *watches in disbelief, loses a bit of ego. Optionally, proceeds to kick B's ass*

In any case, upon careful reading of the rules, I won't force you to roll for opening doors, picking stuff up etc. With an initial 1/5th chance of losing bubblegum after doing anything, things would probably deteriorate too fast. These actions will be forbidden once All Outta Bubblegum, though, with some really basic exceptions, like walking and talking. When talking AOB, you should roleplay somebody who just lost their last bubblegum and is pissed... No diplomacy for you in this state, except, you know, the oldest kind of diplomacy.

Oh, and you'll probably be allowed to share bubblegum in extreme circumstances, or maybe I'll allow you to find a pack of gum from time to time if you spend too much time AOB.

So we've got thelaptop, Uitë, ParaSait, HexaDoken... what about you, ZicherCZ?

We should be ready to start. Post the names of your characters and some small background - a couple of sentences is enough to get started, the rest can be filled by roleplaying during the game.

Edit: One more things - unless anyone objects, I'd prefer to handle all the rolling (I'll be fair - honestly!), but if you want to roll yourself, it's OK. In any case, let me handle the outcomes.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 07:59 by Klear »
Logged
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

HexaDoken

  • Sergeant
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 61
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 08:15 »

Care to post an example of roleplaying format? A short act when somebody, say, blasts in the room, does some actions that require rolling, fail there, succeed here, and get out. And this is considering that players can't read GM's mind and do not explicitly know what is considered asskicking, what is not, and what is a free action. This is so I don't act ubersilly.

Final one. Is the "bubblegum" stat virtual or not? As in, do we actually carry actual sticks of actual bubblegum in our actual pockets, or this is just a "creatively named" meter of how pissed off we are?
Logged
2nd Lieutenant Hell Baron, Body Count: 43879
Wins:[1|7|1|0|0] Deaths: [7|90|26|16|2] Badges:[18|10|4|0|0]
Highest Score: 214763
Currently Doing: AoB HNTR

ParaSait

  • Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1223
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 09:20 »

Final one. Is the "bubblegum" stat virtual or not? As in, do we actually carry actual sticks of actual bubblegum in our actual pockets, or this is just a "creatively named" meter of how pissed off we are?
This is a PBF, does it matter? :P
Welp, anyways...


Name: Johnny Balls
Background:
A friend of Duke. He wears a leather jacket, a worn jeans, sunglasses, and he has black hair with a ridiculous amount of grease in it. He's not quite as badass as Duke, but at least he likes to pretend he is.
Hobbies: Smoking, drinking beer, hanging out at stripclubs, kicking male ass, and doing... other stuff... to female ass.
Logged
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Klear

  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1319
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 09:28 »

OK, I'll post some mock gameplay later. In any case - and maybe I should have put this in a big disclaimer in the OP - this will be a highly experimental game. I'll probably have to update the rules a bit on the go if it turns out unplayable. It doesn't help that this is the first time I'm GMing ;)

On the other hand, ubersilly is the correct word for what I expect to happen, though it will depend on how you decide to play the game. I'll try to stay as neutral as possible, but feel free to embrace the silliness or cheesiness of the setting.

Hopefully, there won't be too many actions that are bornerline asskicking and normal. As for free actions, I'll have you roll on stuff which would require a skill check in most other RPG systems, so anything requiring specific skill, concentration or luck.

As for the bubblegum - I'm leaning towards literal bubblegum, though you will probably be able to understand what I write metaphorically as well as literally.

Edit:

OK, here's how I figure the game could look like - though in this fake game I didn't give the fake players too much room to roleplay, writing their imputs as commands in a text adventure game - that's because I was lazy writing it =P

There are 3 players:

Abber - gum: 6
Badburn - gum: 7
Cigg - gum: 7


Quote from: Klear
You are in a hallway. There are three nondescript white doors along the left wall. You can hear grunting from somewhere behind the corner on the other side of the hallway.

Quote from: Abber
I try to quietly open the closest door.

Quote from: Badburn
I sneak to the end of the hallway and try to determine how far is the grunting

Quote from: Klear:
Abber tries to open the closest door, but it seems to be locked. Meanwhile, Badburn sneaks to the end of the hallway, listening intently. It sounds like a pig cop standing a couple metres to the left of the corner.

Quote from: Cigg
I use my knife to try and pick the lock of the closest door.

Quote from: Badburn
I peek carefully around the corner.

Quote from: Klear
@Cigg - You roll 9 on a standard action - fail!
@Badburn - You'll have to roll standard action, or the pig cop might see you.

Cigg pushes Abber aside and jams his knife into the lock, but he doesn't manage to achieve anything. Annoyed, he reaches into his pocket and eats one of his remaining bublegums.

Quote from: Badburn
OK. Crap. I rolled a 9 as well =(

Quote from: Abber
I push Cigg away as well and try to kick the door open. Rolling for asskicking - 2. Ouch.

Quote from: Klear
...when he's done with the lockpicking, Cigg gets pushed away as well, as Abber readies to kick the door open. His mighty boot impacts on the weak wooden door, but it refuses to budge. Unfortunately, the thunderous crash comes just as Badburn peeks around the corner. He finds himself staring in the eyes of an enormous porkalized LAPD officer brandishing a shotgun. The pig cop is startled but for a second, and then he aims his weapon straight at Badburn.

Quote from: Badburn
Crap. I hide back behind the corner, fists ready.

Quote from: Abber
I run towards the end of the hallway, to help Badburn

Quote from: Cigg
I try to to open the other two doors.

Quote from: Klear
@Badburn: I rolled a standard action for you to see if you can duck in time. 1 - you're lucky.

Badburn quickly ducks behind the corner. A shotgun blast roars a split second later, biting a crater in the plaster wall. He realizes the pig cop will have to reload next, creating a small window of opportunity.

Meanwhile, cigg ignores the engagement and checks the other doors. The second one is locked as well, but he manages to open the third one. It leads into a small office.

Quote from: Abber
I run around the corner and jump-kick the pig cop before he can reload!

Quote from: Badburn
Damn, I wanted to do that. And that standard action for ducking sucks. It should have been a free action =(
I go after Abber, ready to kick the pig cop's ass.

Quote from: Cigg
I examine the office.

Quote from: Klear
Abber runs around the corner fraction of a second after the shotgun blast and jumps at the pig cop. Unfortunately, he miscalculates his own speed and completely misses his target, landing on the floor a metre behind him. (you rolled 5 for asskicking) Badburn follows his example, becoming a wihrlwind of fists that falls on the pig cop, who's trying in vain to reload his shotgun. Badburn manages to rip it away from his arms and land a few punches, before the beast pushes him back and assumes defensive stance. (8, you barely made it)
Meanwhile, Cigg finds himself in a small office. There is a desk with a computer on it and filing cabinet that seems to be locked. There is a playboy calendar on the wall and throughout the window you can see a squad of aliens marching somewhere south.

Quote from: Abber
Is the shotgun close enough for me to reach? If so, I grab it, reload it and blast the pig cop away shouting "Makin' bacon."

Quote from: Badburn
I. Kick. Ass.

Quote from: Klear
Badburn quickly regains composure and immediately jumps back into the fight with the mutant. Though his opponent much bigger than him, he keeps pummeling him and dodging his attacks, until finally the beast seems to have had enough. (rolled 9) Suddenly it seems like it's caught a second breath and is ready for more, towering over Badburn, who stands ready to defend himself. Just then the pig cop's head explodes in a bloody spray of bone shards and grey matter. As the mutant topples over, Abber is revealed behind, smoking shotgun in his hands. "Makin' bacon," he says. (you rolled a 10 - lucky bastard =) You now have a shotgun and 12 rounds.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 10:28 by Klear »
Logged
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

thelaptop

  • Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2459
  • Grumpy Admin
    • View Profile
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 10:27 »

Name: Ruhig Joe
Background: Just a regular Joe working as a developer in some unknown small-time start-up.  He's anything but kick-ass.
Hobbies: Reading, writing, knitting.
Logged
I compute, therefore I am.

Hell Baron 1st Lieutenant (0.9.9.7)
[20/12/8/0/0/0]

HexaDoken

  • Sergeant
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 61
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 11:26 »

I don't like physical gum :U I'm not even chewing gum.

Name: Kharana Zephronic, AKA Khran, AKA 'Mercer'
Disclaimer: The name is stolen as feck, and even without any permission whatsoever. But it's so badass I can't resist. Name belongs to Khran.

Bio:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 11:28 by HexaDoken »
Logged
2nd Lieutenant Hell Baron, Body Count: 43879
Wins:[1|7|1|0|0] Deaths: [7|90|26|16|2] Badges:[18|10|4|0|0]
Highest Score: 214763
Currently Doing: AoB HNTR

Uitë

  • Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 113
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 16:21 »

Name: Lucas Graves

Background: Lucas was a criminal investigator with the LAPD. When the invasion started, he was on a camping trip in the mountains, and on his return he found many of his friends mutated into hideous beasts. Now it's time to dust off his weapons training and avenge his fallen comrades. No relation to a certain general.

EDIT: I'm imagining him as mid to late thirties, single, and married to his relatively quiet desk job for years now. And that's just the way he likes it. He's somewhat out of shape, but not horribly so. Mostly he's a serious guy, but he does appreciate the occasional joke. He's the kind of person who introduces himself as Lucas, but doesn't mind when others shorten it to Luke. He knows how to kick ass if he needs to, but it's not easy, and it doesn't come naturally to him.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 16:41 by Uitë »
Logged
Arch-Vile 1st Lieutenant
[26|12|6|1|0]

Matt_S

  • Elder
  • Major
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 394
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 21:20 »

I haven't played a Duke Nukem game since I was a little kid.  But man this sounds awesome.  I'd like to join as well.

Name: Richard Johnson

Background: Richard, or "Richy" as his mommy calls him, is a 21 year old college student majoring in chemistry.  He is a nerd, a dweeb, a geek, and of course a wuss.  Or people call him a wuss at least.  And Richard is tired of it.  He wants to show everyone that they were wrong about Richard Johnson.  So he decides that he's going to prove he's a man.  Richard polishes his glasses, wears his cleanest cargo pants and short-sleeve dress shirt (with pocket protector of course), and heads off to a nightclub one night.  And the test of his manhood approaches...
Logged

Klear

  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1319
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 11:18 »

OK, let's get this train wreck rolling! Oh, and if you ever need more precise description of anything, or a small ASCII map, just tell me. It shouldn't be necessary for now, though.

Edit: Perfect! First post on page 2 =)

Episode one:
L.A. Meltdown


Dark shadows are moving across the sky of Los Angeles, the City of Angels, soon to be better known as Shrapnel City. But for now all goes on as usual. It's Saturday night and the Red Light District is pulsing with life, liquor stores, stripclubs, and cheap hotels doing their best to help everybody forget the working days.

You are in the Titty Kitty night club, one of the more classy establishments in the neighbourhood, which doesn't really say all that much. There are drunk people everywhere, and you proudly count yourself as one of them. Hot babes are gyrating on the dancefloor to the rhythm of the loud music played by a DJ wearing dark shades that have become so popular lately. There are also two bouncers looking over the patrons from a balcony near the bar, but you're much more interested in the chicks, so who cares.
You think you heard a distatnt rumble, but it's hard to say with the loud music. Did the ground shake, or was that just you? Noone else seems to have noticed anything, but you suddenly have a feeling something is going to happen here very soon...
Logged
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

thelaptop

  • Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2459
  • Grumpy Admin
    • View Profile
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 11:30 »

"Get me another damn beer!" Ruhig said with a slurred voice.  "I'm not quite drunk enough for this place!"
Logged
I compute, therefore I am.

Hell Baron 1st Lieutenant (0.9.9.7)
[20/12/8/0/0/0]

Matt_S

  • Elder
  • Major
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 394
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 14:41 »

Richard finishes the rest of his beer and looks around at all the fine women.  He stays seated, sweating nervously like a wuss.
Logged

Uitë

  • Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 113
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 17:26 »

((I guess I misjudged the timing of the start. That means my character's friends are still alive and human. For now. He's still the same semi-wuss anyway.))

Lucas walks up to the DJ, looks him straight in the eye, and raises his voice to try and beat the loud music: "Hey DJ! Do you have anything other than this DJ Porny crap? I'm getting sick and tired of this song! Why don't you play some actual sexy music?"
Logged
Arch-Vile 1st Lieutenant
[26|12|6|1|0]

ParaSait

  • Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1223
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2012, 19:59 »

"DJ Porny? Ew. Man, this place does suck pretty bad.", Johnny thinks. "I'm sure Duke knows far better clubs than this one. Oh well... I'm only here for the booze and the chicks anyway..."
He sits back, lights another cig, and looks around at all the unnaturally busty chicks.
Logged
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

HexaDoken

  • Sergeant
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 61
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2012, 03:02 »

Wouldn't it be better to have IC separate from this thread, just in case questions arise and so we can ask them without polluting the narration and stuff and stuff and stuff?

"BOOYEAAAAA- OUCH holy shit damn man!"

Khran attempts to dance on the table, but slips on something and falls down. Still lying on the floor, he takes a sip from his glass, disregarding the fact that it's contents spilled out just a second ago.
Logged
2nd Lieutenant Hell Baron, Body Count: 43879
Wins:[1|7|1|0|0] Deaths: [7|90|26|16|2] Badges:[18|10|4|0|0]
Highest Score: 214763
Currently Doing: AoB HNTR

Klear

  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1319
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2012, 12:04 »

The DJ nods to Lucas and puts the music to a slow fade and leans to his microphone, while grabbing a new record behind his back. Before he can say anything, there is a sound of explosion from somewhere upstairs, followed by another. With the music out of the way, there can be no mistaking something is happening. The DJ quickly puts on a new song but some of the patrons are no longer in the mood to dance.

I'd try to keep it all in just one thread for now. As long as we divide "gameplay" and OOC talk by formatting, it should be OK, I hope. You think things are starting to be confusing, we'll split it.

@Uitë - no problem. I'll work it into the story, that should prove interesting.

Edit: Forgot to mention - I was going to ask for permission by Uitë to roll a standard action (persuading the DJ), then I decided to roll anyway and only ask for the permission if the roll fails (it didn't, you got 3) and lastly I realized I cannot do things like this, since you would know, if I'm asking you "do you want to roll this?", that I've already rolled and it failed, so this is the last time I did that.
tl;dr - Uitë passed a standard roll to persuade the the DJ and I will ask before rolling next time.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 12:35 by Klear »
Logged
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

thelaptop

  • Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2459
  • Grumpy Admin
    • View Profile
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2012, 14:46 »

"What the hell was that?"  Ruhig said, slurring still as he stood up from his seat, glaring about.
Logged
I compute, therefore I am.

Hell Baron 1st Lieutenant (0.9.9.7)
[20/12/8/0/0/0]

Matt_S

  • Elder
  • Major
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 394
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2012, 18:11 »

Richard looks around.  "Should s-someone go see what's going on?"
Logged

ParaSait

  • Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1223
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2012, 19:10 »

Johnny gets up, raises his voice and says "Don't panic, ladies! Let Johnny handle it! I have it all under control!"
He heads towards wherever the stairs are.
Logged
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

HexaDoken

  • Sergeant
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 61
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2012, 21:51 »

"Nah, probably some idiots playing with the fireworks." - Khran says, standing up. Still, he looks at the stairs, somewhat troubled. With a second of hesitation, he decides to follow Johnny.
Logged
2nd Lieutenant Hell Baron, Body Count: 43879
Wins:[1|7|1|0|0] Deaths: [7|90|26|16|2] Badges:[18|10|4|0|0]
Highest Score: 214763
Currently Doing: AoB HNTR

thelaptop

  • Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2459
  • Grumpy Admin
    • View Profile
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2012, 23:12 »

"You buncha--" Ruhig said as he finished his beer and followed the group that was heading up the stairs.
Logged
I compute, therefore I am.

Hell Baron 1st Lieutenant (0.9.9.7)
[20/12/8/0/0/0]

Uitë

  • Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 113
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2012, 02:23 »

"Holy shit! What was that?" Lucas exclaims in surprise. Instinctively he starts to look around for emergency exits in search of escape routes.

((No problem about the roll. Honestly, I wouldn't mind if you rolled everything, to keep the flow of the story going.))
Logged
Arch-Vile 1st Lieutenant
[26|12|6|1|0]

Matt_S

  • Elder
  • Major
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 394
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2012, 13:54 »

Richard sighs with relief since other people volunteered to investigate.

Just posting to make clear my intention of not following the group going upstairs. :)
Logged

Klear

  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1319
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2012, 10:39 »

Here's a rough layout of the area:

Code: [Select]
   ###########
   #djxxxxxxx#
   +  xdancex#
   #  xfloorx#
####  xxxxxxx#
#            #
#>    _______#
#>    I bar I#
###+######+###

The > are stairs up, leading the the main entrance, as well as an entrance to the VIP area. There is a door (+) behind the bar, probably storage, and another door marked STAFF ONLY is near the DJ. The door between the bar and stairs leads to the toilets. There's a small balcony above them, which I didn't fit. There's people all over the place, quite a few are heading upstairs, Johnny, Khran and Ruhig among them.
Suddenly there's shouting coming from the top floor and those who were pushing to get up the stairs start to push in the opposite direction. There is a flash and a dead body of a patron is falling down the stairs, a burnt hole through its chest. At the same moment, two silvery flares appear on the dance-floor and ugly uniformed aliens pop into existence, guns blazing. A pandemonium breaks out, people screaming and running around mindlessly.


Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 18:45 by Klear »
Logged
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

ParaSait

  • Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1223
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2012, 17:39 »

There's people all over the place, quite a few are heading upstairs, Richard, Khran and Ruhig among them.
(this should be Johnny though, rite?)

Johnny gets pushed right back downstairs, almost falling. He grunts at the people, but then notices the two creatures on the dance floor that just came outta nowhere.
"What the...", he thinks as his cigarette falls out of his mouth. Immediately he jumps over the bar table and ducks to take cover behind it.
Logged
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

HexaDoken

  • Sergeant
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 61
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2012, 21:03 »

Noticing people suddenly rushing down the stairs, Khran immediately leaned to a wall to avoid getting knocked down.

"Ara ara, thi-"

Whatever he wanted to say is interrupted by the sounds of the gunfire from below. He turns back, and, seemingly on autopilot, walks down and looks at the aliens, standing still.

"Ara ara, this totally stopped being fun."

Coming back to his senses, Khran climbed on some random guy passing buy, and while shouting "Sorry!", jumped towards the table. He then ducked behind it.

"Yo!" - he said to Johnny. It was hard to guess if the guy ever cared about the aliens and chaos.
Logged
2nd Lieutenant Hell Baron, Body Count: 43879
Wins:[1|7|1|0|0] Deaths: [7|90|26|16|2] Badges:[18|10|4|0|0]
Highest Score: 214763
Currently Doing: AoB HNTR

thelaptop

  • Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2459
  • Grumpy Admin
    • View Profile
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2012, 23:20 »

Ruhig got knocked down the stairs by the mob with Johnny on top of him.  Thankfully, Johnny had already sprung out, leaving a rather sprawled out Ruhig on the ground.  Angrily, he jumped up to his feet and began shouting "Hey buddy, what's the big ide--"

Noticing the incursion of the interlopers, Ruhig saw red in his eyes.  Picking up a bar stool nearby, he lobbed it towards the aliens.  "Damn you for disturbing my drinking!  I said I was not drunk enough for this place but noooo, you had to barge in!"
Logged
I compute, therefore I am.

Hell Baron 1st Lieutenant (0.9.9.7)
[20/12/8/0/0/0]

Matt_S

  • Elder
  • Major
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 394
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2012, 13:40 »

"Oh my gosh!" Richard shouts as he ducks down.  After a second of thought and planning, Richard decides to try escaping through the STAFF ONLY door.

He runs over to the DJ's area and tries going through the door.
Logged

Uitë

  • Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 113
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2012, 13:57 »

Seeing the sudden appearance of the creatures, Lucas ducks for cover behind the DJ booth. Pressing himself to the ground, he pulls the dazed DJ down with him. "Dammit," he thinks, "if only I'd brought my weapon..." Immediately, he turns to the DJ and asks him if there are any guns in the staff room. Right as he finishes speaking, before the DJ is able to formulate an answer, he peeks his head out to the side, and takes a good look at the alien invaders.
Logged
Arch-Vile 1st Lieutenant
[26|12|6|1|0]

Klear

  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1319
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2012, 19:11 »

    With most people dead or dying all over the place, the situation begins to clear somewhat, but the flashing disco lights don't help. Johnny a Khran take cover behind the bar with the barman, who's grasping a shotgun and preparing to defend his livelihood. The battle is still raging upstairs, but the two aliens seem to be satisfied with the carnage they've done and each is now grabbing one of the babes, who were just a few moments dancing on the dancefloor, and are preparing to teleport away. Before they can do so however, Ruhig grabs a barstool and throws it at one of them. The stool flies through the air, but only hits one of the aliens with the soft part meant to be sat on, not the hard leg so useful in clobbering drunks. (you rolled a 6 for asskicking - close, but not good enough. There's no penalty for trying though)
    With a bestial growl, the alien throws the babe he was holding to his colleague who teleports away with both of them and turns his attention towards Ruhig.
During this distraction Richard tries to open the staff-only door, but it won't budge. Lucas talks to the DJ, who is quite shocked and slow to answer.
    "It's locked. I have a key and...," he says nervously at last.
     He produces a revolver, but he doesn't seem inclined to use it and will need some persuading to give it up.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 19:13 by Klear »
Logged
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

HexaDoken

  • Sergeant
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 61
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2012, 23:36 »

"Alright, plan time. Something tells me that we won't defeat theese aliens with just throwing bottles."

Right as Khran finished saying that, he suddenly stood up, took whatever bottle was nearby, and threw it against the alien. He ducked back without seeing the results of the throw.

"Right, as I was saying, we will need guns, and lots of them. Like the one you have here" - he points at the shotgun the barman is holding. - "Listen, boy, if you're not going to shoot it yourself, better give it to the ones who can actually shoot it." - now Khran points at himself. - "Or AT LEAST tell us where can we find more guns? Shouldn't people leave weapons at the front door? Should be quite a bunch of them there."
Logged
2nd Lieutenant Hell Baron, Body Count: 43879
Wins:[1|7|1|0|0] Deaths: [7|90|26|16|2] Badges:[18|10|4|0|0]
Highest Score: 214763
Currently Doing: AoB HNTR

thelaptop

  • Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2459
  • Grumpy Admin
    • View Profile
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2012, 23:49 »

"Fuck," Ruhig shouted, realising that the bar stool missed its mark and pissed off the alien instead.  He took a dive behind the bar just to hear Khran talk about his "plan".
Logged
I compute, therefore I am.

Hell Baron 1st Lieutenant (0.9.9.7)
[20/12/8/0/0/0]

Uitë

  • Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 113
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2012, 05:38 »

Looking back from the carnage, Lucas sees the revolver the DJ is holding. He looks him straight in the eye and says, "Hey buddy, are you planning on using that gun? I'm LAPD, you'd better give it to me and I'll handle everything."
"You go open that door and get yourself and that idiot to the back," he nods at Richard and the door.
Logged
Arch-Vile 1st Lieutenant
[26|12|6|1|0]

ParaSait

  • Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1223
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2012, 09:30 »

"Oh wow great jeez, I thought I could hide here, but this spot just became the center point of attention." Johnny sighs.
"On the other hand...", he says as he lights another cigarette, "... since there's four of us here now, I guess we might as well all jump up and go kick their asses."

Johnny does what Khran did and tosses an empty bottle at one of the aliens. With his other hand he also grabs another bottle for close combat.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Logged
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Klear

  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1319
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2012, 12:43 »

   The alien trooper shoots at Ruhig as he dives behind the bar, but the shot flies wild, shattering only a bottle of premium whiskey. Before he can fire another shot, a bottle flies from behind the bar and shatters in the alien's face, blinding him and making him drop his laser pistol. Seeing Khran's success, Johnny follows suit and the second bottle also hits its mark, knocking the alien out. Encouraged by the successful throw, Khran turns to the barkeep and tries to convince him to give him his shotgun, but the barkeeper is not moved by this heroic display, having seen similar feats many times in his line of work.
   "Feel free to take more bottles, but this shotgun is mine," he utters. "I wouldn't go upstairs right now, sounds like there's quite a few of 'em still, but there's another exit near the DJ booth. I'll open it up for you."
   True to his words, there seems to be a one-sided battle raging upstairs. You hear lasers flying and a loud cadence of a chaingun, though the screams are dying there as well. It sounds like the aliens are mopping up the last survivors and it's only a matter of time before they come to check downstairs.
   Meanwhile, Lucas' powers of persuasion seems to be better than Khran's, since the DJ hands him his revolver without arguing. It's pitiful how fast he switched from his cool image into a broken coward.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Logged
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

HexaDoken

  • Sergeant
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 61
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2012, 23:09 »

"Damit, you." - Khran mumbles very silently, too silent for anyone to hear.

He takes two more bottles, stands up quickly and throws one at where the alien stood. It takes him a second to realise that the bastard is already quite out of cold.

"Eh... okay." - Khran opens the other bottle he has, and drinks it.

"Bleh... alright people, the guy over here tells we have an extra exit right over there!" - he points to the barman with one hand, and to the DJ booth with another, still holding the bottle of whatever. - "Unless you are keen on fighting guys with chinaguns, I suggest we go there."

Khran then jumps over the table and stands in the middle of the room, looking at the survivors of the slaughter.
Logged
2nd Lieutenant Hell Baron, Body Count: 43879
Wins:[1|7|1|0|0] Deaths: [7|90|26|16|2] Badges:[18|10|4|0|0]
Highest Score: 214763
Currently Doing: AoB HNTR

Uitë

  • Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 113
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2012, 05:18 »

Lucas sees the alien fall, and suddenly remembers a piece of his old training. He carefully takes aim at the creature's head, and looses one round to permanently put it out of commission.
He then orders the DJ, "Didn't you hear me? Open that door!"
Logged
Arch-Vile 1st Lieutenant
[26|12|6|1|0]

thelaptop

  • Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2459
  • Grumpy Admin
    • View Profile
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2012, 09:29 »

Ruhig grabs the DJ by the collar and shouted into the poor man's face.

"Didn't you hear that man?  Why are you still not opening the damn door?!"
Logged
I compute, therefore I am.

Hell Baron 1st Lieutenant (0.9.9.7)
[20/12/8/0/0/0]

Matt_S

  • Elder
  • Major
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 394
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2013, 00:52 »

With the imminent danger gone, Richard mans up a bit.  "We shouldn't lose our heads," Richard tells everyone.  "Where's the key to this staff door?"
Logged

Klear

  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1319
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2013, 02:29 »

OK, I've reestablished my presence here on the forums so I guess it's high time to apologise for letting this hang for so long. I'm ready to continue with this, if there are still willing players remaining after I've abandoned you for a while. I'll resolve the current situation when I get home to my notes and see if we can continue with this.
Logged
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

LuckyDee

  • Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1506
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
Re: All Outta Bubblegum
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2013, 02:34 »

I'd be more than happy to join, if you can take me in. Just tell me what kind of character would fit (otherwise I'll think of something myself).
Logged
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]