Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 11:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: AliensRL on mac  (Read 4608 times)

fragmaster24

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
AliensRL on mac
« on: January 03, 2013, 20:18 »

So I haven't had a lot of time to play here on the mac yet, but I had played some of AliensRL a year ago on PC at my old job (tech support is the perfect job to try all flavors of RLs, particularly playing a ton of DoomRL, Brogue, and Desktop Dungeons). I had wanted to start playing again and saw there is a Mac version now, which is awesome. I can get it running just fine, but I have noticed a bug. If you leave the desktop that AliensRL is running and come back, the game is no longer displayed, just a black screen. The sound continues, and it does continue to receive and react to input (I know because I can still fire at enemies and it will play the appropriate sounds). However it no longer seems to drive the display, requiring me to force quit the game and restart, losing any progress since I can't save and quit. This can be quite frustrating since I switch desktops all the time, and have to remember to save and quit before doing so.

Also, I don't know how big your mac testing pool is, but I'd like to help in any way I can if you need a mac tester for anything, feel free to PM me.

I'm running it on a new retina 15" mac:
Processor  2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory  8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics  NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
Software  OS X 10.8.2 (12C3012)

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
Re: AliensRL on mac
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 20:47 »

ESC -> DOWN -> DOWN -> ENTER -> ENTER should save a game :) .

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 22:37 »

The only reason for that happening that I can think of is loosing the OpenGL context. How long does it take until that happens? Does it happen on both fullscreen and windowed? Also, does it happen with DoomRL also?

My "Mac testing pool" is a single MacBook Pro 13", last model with dual GFX. :P

at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

fragmaster24

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 11:48 »

The command sequence does work to save and quit, so that is a workaround for now at least.

The only reason for that happening that I can think of is loosing the OpenGL context. How long does it take until that happens? Does it happen on both fullscreen and windowed? Also, does it happen with DoomRL also?

This does not happen with DoomRL, only AlienRL. I tried some other things, and it looks like it only happens when you transfer desktops while AlienRL has focus. If I switch to another application and then move between desktops and come back, AlienRL is fine.

My "Mac testing pool" is a single MacBook Pro 13", last model with dual GFX. :P

heh, I figured that may be the case.
Pages: [1]