Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 16:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Weapon variable names for quick swap key binding?  (Read 3395 times)

GermusXeno

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Weapon variable names for quick swap key binding?
« on: January 12, 2013, 15:52 »

Does anyone know where to find the weapon variable names so special weapons can be set to a quick key?
I hate that juggler is fairly useless unless you set an un-keyed weapon to prepared.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 15:55 by GermusXeno »
GX

Uranium

• Greater Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Heavier Than A Death In The Family
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon variable names for quick swap key binding?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 16:59 »

Uh, I think Juggler makes your swap-to-prepared time zero regardless of what's in your prepared slot.
If you're talking about exotics and uniques on the numpad for quick access, I think (but I'm not sure if it still happens) they wouldn't work if you had them on the numpad.
If you want to try it to see if it works, here are the IDs: http://doom.chaosforge.org/wiki/Modding:sID#Items
Use power for power.

GermusXeno

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 19:06 »

Thank you, I'll see what happens.
GX

GermusXeno

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 14:34 »

Tested and confirmed. Custom QuickKey weapons work with Juggler.
Thanks again Uranium.
GX

Evilpotatoe

• Backer
  • Major
  • Lost Soul corpse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 04:56 »

Do you mean that every weapon could be bound to a specific key, so that you never use any time switching ? (well, you still need juggler...)

If it's the way it works, this seems completely senseless to me, and should either be nerfed, or changed so that any weapon switch takes a quick-switch time...
I already hated the quick-switch system, since it's less intuitive that picking item in inventory, and should, from my point of view, automatically be used when picking a "basic" weapon, but now... it looks even worse :(
I don't want to have to set 20 bindings -.-
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 05:00 by Evilpotatoe »
Badges - [26/26/26/22/9/2] - 42/43

Equality

• Second Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 07:05 »

Evilpotatoe
If you don't want - you can play as usual ;) I test it and with Juggler fast switching is really great. Fast switching to only 2 non-standard weapons - missile launcher and nuclear plasma - make game really easy. If add to quick keys some more uniques... Juggler trait becomes really powerful. And no, I think that this must be documented and not nerfed. Each can do a personal bindings, that's all right.

Juggler MUST add possibility instaswitch to anything. Thanks GermusXeno for discovering that
Once advanced DoomRL player
Find mysterious sword Dragonslayer
Say "Best thing ever found!" and start jumping around...
But he can't get the sword from the ground

Sradac

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 08:56 »

I think this is fine, and it dosent make sense to NOT be able to quickswitch to anything.  I can hit 5 and quickswap in a double barrel shotgun, but my guy isnt capable of quickswitching in say a supershotgun just because its "special"? dosent make much sense.

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 14:40 »

It's an undocumented abuse. Iirc there was a talk on changing how jugg works in order to fix idea behind that abuse.

Also there could be some sense in the fact that you can't switch to specials - as UAC marine you trained with all basic weapons and you handle them well. No idea how dat railgun works though...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 14:48 by AlterAsc »
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

Evilpotatoe

• Backer
  • Major
  • Lost Soul corpse
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 15:05 »

I see three possibilities to improve this, 2 nerfs, and one (interface) improvement:

-1- Disallow customizing.
I considered quick swap is a sort of "buff" to basic weapons. e.g., to give you a reason to keep a RL once you got the missile launcher (which is, imo, insanely imbalanced. especially once nanomachic xD). In fact, I see it as the same reason why you can't rocketjump with a missile launcher : a simple nerf, for an exceptionnal weapon.

-2- Allow a number of quick-swappable weapons (e.g. 10), but not EVERY weapon to be instantly accessible at the same time...
I think this is annoying to implement, since the list would have to be specific for every game, and would have to be customised/saved... bah, annoying to use, I guess.

-3- Just make every swap instant, without having to bother with those BS quick keys
Btw, if this isn't considered an overpowered skill, this sounds like the obvious way to improve it. I rarely picked up this skill, but something tells me it's probably one of the most insanes you can get... even more than my beloved Fin3.

Anyway, I know I can play without it, it's what I do most of the time, but I ***HATE*** losing efficiency just because of a lousy interface, and that's why this particular point really bugs me.
Badges - [26/26/26/22/9/2] - 42/43

GermusXeno

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 14:51 »

I personally believe if you go through the trouble you've earned it.  8D
GX
Pages: [1]