Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 09:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: What is your strategy for medium or hard difficulties?  (Read 8354 times)

ultimate26

• Backer
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
What is your strategy for medium or hard difficulties?
« on: February 07, 2013, 13:03 »

What class do you use and whats your perk progression for starters? why do you choose that style and what do you think is a strong build?

I love using engineer for FIN-JUG-SOB-SOB as a starter because you can use any weapon and be effective regardless of what you find.

I start with 2 shotguns to juggle between them while corner shooting till i find a chaingun to turn into an assault rifle once i have assault rifle, i try to get 2 TH to do maximum damage.

Im curious whats everyone bread and butter

Cheers

Rajhin

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: What is your strategy for medium or hard difficulties?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 17:17 »

Cateye'd scout. Early Int2 for easy shotgunning through first episode, cateye by the wall, WK2 and almost guaranreed hyperblaster in armory. The rest of the game is cakewalk.
20/26 4/17
33/50

tylor

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 20:41 »

First I make sure that I have enough fire rate with shotguns to hold off Barons in the Wall. That is, at least Finess*2 + Reloader (or some mod packs and shell box)
Then it depends on build, but I don't know how to beat Cathedral without at least Berserk, so, berserk. Juggler is always good, especially with melee.
My favorite builds are Vampyre, Sharpshooter and Shottyhead.
Gear - I usually make "tactical" everything. Boots, armor, shotgun.

Still don't have reliable strategy for Mortuary. I know running for nuclear  BFG helps at prolonged sieges, as well as having nuclear plasma rifle, as well as clearing some patchess with skulls. And that worst case, I can do four Azrael blasts to kill all Viles, at a cost of 20 maximum health. But either way, above HNTR I end either dead (rarely) or nearly out of resources, so I have to do reast of the game with nuclear weapon, melee and handful of remaining ammo/medpacks.

Deathwind

• Colonel
  • HMP Angel of Patience 0.9.9.4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 16:14 »

For getting into harder difficulties I found the marine's ammochain build (Rel>Rel>SoaB>SoaB>Th>Th>MAc) to work very well. With this build you rely on shotguns and corner-shooting till you hit ammochain (if you clear each floor you should get it around the armory on HNTR).
I find Tac boots to be a better use of mods than the assault rifle as you will retire it for plasma but rapid fire guns tend to be lacking in accuracy so spending one A mod on your chaingun may be a good investment. The spider lair's reward is insane for this build as it removes most of your ammo worries.
v.997 [16/5/2/0/0]

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 19:51 »

Rule of thumb for chain-fire weapon is always one A-mod for chaingun, 2 A-mods for plasma rifle.  Substitute each A-mod for one EE.
I computed, therefore I was.

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 14:39 »

Rule of thumb for chain-fire weapon is always one A-mod for chaingun, 2 A-mods for plasma rifle.  Substitute each A-mod for one EE.
This man speaks the truth. I would just add that gatling gun and hyperblaster assemblies are quite good as well.

Buzzard

• Bronze Supporter
  • Elder
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 09:40 »

This man speaks the truth. I would just add that gatling gun and hyperblaster assemblies are quite good as well.
The gatling gun is very good for nearly every build except for people with Tech 2. You get the effects of a bulk mod (or a mod and a half, I forget what 20 more bullets in the chaingun would be equal to), a power mod, and a firestorm mod for just two bulk mods.

Hyperblaster I'm not so sure about, honestly. At least for Ammochain games, anyway. It's not that it's not good (it is), but I feel that the lower damage really hurts it. Sure, it has a shorter firing time and plus +2 accuracy, but you lose a lot on damage. I'd kind of rather just kill a heavy enemy in one long burst or so with a A1 Plasma Rifle then have to fire three or four Hyperblaster bursts. Does anyone feel what I'm getting at?

Obviously Hyberblaster is better for bunches of medium-toughness enemies, because of the firing time. But against mancubuses...
Hell Baron Captain [16/12/8/0/0]

ultimate26

• Backer
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 11:02 »

PB plasma on ammochain was pretty good :)

Buzzard

• Bronze Supporter
  • Elder
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 11:28 »

The gatling gun is very good for nearly every build except for people with Tech 2. You get the effects of a bulk mod (or a mod and a half, I forget what 20 more bullets in the chaingun would be equal to), a power mod, and a firestorm mod for just two bulk mods.

Hyperblaster I'm not so sure about, honestly. At least for Ammochain games, anyway. It's not that it's not good (it is), but I feel that the lower damage really hurts it. Sure, it has a shorter firing time and plus +2 accuracy, but you lose a lot on damage. I'd kind of rather just kill a heavy enemy in one long burst or so with a A1 Plasma Rifle then have to fire three or four Hyperblaster bursts. Does anyone feel what I'm getting at?

Obviously Hyberblaster is better for bunches of medium-toughness enemies, because of the firing time. But against mancubuses...
May have to rethink this. Hyperblaster does more damage in the same amount of time, but a fully modded Plasma Rifle should outdamage a Hyperblaster...

tylor

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 12:25 »

Compared to ATT plasma, Hyperblaster has -0.1 fire time, +1 damage per shot and +1 accuracy, but half burst size (3 vs 6)
I'd say, with Ammochain plasma is better, otherwise, especially with triggerhappy, blaster is.
Can I blaster-mod nuclear plasma, btw?

Rajhin

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 13:24 »

Can I blaster-mod nuclear plasma, btw?
Unfortunately not. No laser hyperblaster for you too.
Compared to ATT plasma, Hyperblaster has -0.1 fire time, +1 damage per shot and +1 accuracy, but half burst size (3 vs 6)
AAT plasma has 0.7 firetime while hyperblaster has 0.5. 2d4 isn't just 1d7+1, there are different probability distributions.
20/26 4/17
33/50

tylor

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 13:46 »

AAT plasma has 0.7 firetime while hyperblaster has 0.5. 2d4 isn't just 1d7+1, there are different probability distributions.
Oh, right, I was thinking T is -0.2, not -0.15. But 2d4 is actually one more damage on average than 1d7 (5 vs 4)

Rajhin

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 14:25 »

But 2d4 is actually one more damage on average than 1d7 (5 vs 4)
Yes, 2d4 is 2-8 and 1d7+1 is 2-8 too, but latter has uniform distribution while previous is closer to normal distribution. In practise you have only 0.25^2=6.25% chance to do 2 or 8 damage, 12.5% for 3 and 7, 18.75% for 4 and 6 and 25% for 5 damage per shot with hyperblaster. 1d7+1 gives you equal probability (12.5%) to do 2-8 points of damage. You certainly don't want to do low damage, but high is uncomfortable too because of knockback that may move your enemy out of fire range.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 14:27 by Rajhin »
20/26 4/17
33/50

tylor

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 15:30 »

But it is a burst, so it is actually 6d4 vs 6d7 (sans traits). Distribution is not that different to normal in both cases.  Traits, on the other hand, make a lot of difference. EE and SoB (and especially MAc) contribute more to plasma, Triggerhappy - to blaster. Power mod give more to blaster, but you can use one at best. Etc, etc.

As for knockback, And you need 12 damage per non-shotgun shot for it, AFAIK. 5 SoB and/or Power Mod for 1d7. I'm not even sure you can have more than one Power Mod on plasma. So it's rarely  problem.

Buzzard

• Bronze Supporter
  • Elder
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 06:33 »

So overall, Plasma is better with Ammochain? It's hard to tell.

Also I wouldn't say that knockback is bad, if the enemy is knocked back it can't hit you but you still have a chance of hitting it.
Pages: [1] 2  All