Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 17:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Shotgun thread  (Read 7751 times)

ultimate26

• Backer
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
Shotgun thread
« on: February 09, 2013, 21:53 »

Someone help me out with which shotgun to have over others?

Assuming we have this build: REL-SOB-REL-SOB

Elephant gun
Double shotgun
Tactical shotgun

Which one would you suggest to keep for the said build?

Appreciations

2nd question is which shotgun is best for shottyman build? with or without army of the dead
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 22:12 by ultimate26 »

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
Re: Shotgun thread
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 22:10 »

I'd discard the elephant gun if you have a tac.
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Deathwind

• Colonel
  • HMP Angel of Patience 0.9.9.4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 23:00 »

if this is a shotgun challenge I'd say keep all of them for now.

The elephant gun is very good with shottyman but is crap in all other cases, even a shell box isn't quite enough here. The second mod is better spent on armor, if you must drop one drop this
The double shotgun has a WIDE burst and tends to really knock targets back but it's useable range ends within your vision and armor really hurts this gun, it also needs shottyman or a shell box to have a reasonable rate of fire. Don't drop it unless you find a super shotgun but it's not a primary gun due to ammo use.
The tactical shotgun is your primary gun, great rate of fire/reload and it effective range extends beyond your field of view, the only drawbacks are it's somewhat narrow burst and it's a bit lacking when it comes to heavily armored targets.

Army of the dead makes all shotguns but the plasma shotgun better but the biggest effect is on the double shotgun (besides the rare Jackhammer).
v.997 [16/5/2/0/0]

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 15:08 »

I would keep them all.

Assuming we have this build: REL-SOB-REL-SOB
Better to go 2 * Rel first. SoB does not affect shottie damage that much.

Elephant is best shell : damage ratio; got nice range and spread;
The elephant gun is very good with shottyman but is crap in all other cases (...)
I disagree.

The double shotgun has a WIDE burst and tends to really knock targets back but it's useable range ends within your vision (...)
It sucks after half vision already, better to use Elephant at this point.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 22:10 »

The Tactical Shotgun is a good workhorse weapon that I'll use most of the time.  Double Shotguns and Elephant Guns are more situational weapons.  If it's a Shotgun challenge, I'll keep them around, but otherwise, the damage drop-off is too great at medium to long range, so they're most useful at point-blank range, and if I'm that close, I'd rather use a Chainsaw.  :)  The focused Shotgun assembly may be a different story, but to be honest, I haven't experimented with it that much.  Usually, I just throw Double Shotguns away.

Better to go 2 * Rel first. SoB does not affect shottie damage that much.

I've seen people say this before, and I heartily disagree!  The damage increase is very significant to Shotguns.  I find SoB to be a huge help against tougher enemies, since I can kill them a bit faster, (which gives them less chance to hurt me) save shells, and the increased chance of knock-back means they stay out of arms' length which is good for when I'm, say, corner-shooting a Baron and I don't want him to get too close.
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 01:11 »

I find SoB to be a huge help against tougher enemies, since I can kill them a bit faster, (which gives them less chance to hurt me) save shells, and the increased chance of knock-back means they stay out of arms' length which is good for when I'm, say, corner-shooting a Baron and I don't want him to get too close.
:)
Well, Rel * 2 was doing the same work for me (corner shotting & pushing a Baron back).

Buzzard

• Bronze Supporter
  • Elder
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 09:35 »

A combo of Tactical Shotgun/Elephant Shotgun is the best for a AotD build imo. Elephant shotgun for corner-shooting (since you probably won't find a Super Shotgun), tactical for most other things.
Hell Baron Captain [16/12/8/0/0]

ultimate26

• Backer
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 10:29 »

how about assembly shotguns vs unique shotties?

Assault shotgun any better than tac shotty?

tylor

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 10:34 »

Assault shotgun allows 5 mods (as it is exotic), so it's definitely better. I think only unique is Jackhammer, which has huge DPS, but eats through ammo too fast.

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 12:10 »

Well ... First, the availability: Tac shotty >> Assault shotty most of the time. I have yet play a game when I would not find the resources needed for TacSh, while AsSh is not nearly as common. You have a fairly good chance to have the resources ready before Phobos Anomaly, are this chance grows to near certainty just two levels later, after Hell's Armoury.
Secondly, TacSh slightly beats AsSh in terms of damage (8d3 - 7d3).

AsSh has the advantage of being moddable, but to what extent? A mod is outright worthless, B mod increases the clip by a single shot. So only P and T mods make any sense to use. To double this up, if you are going for MAD, you are stuck with a single mod no matter what (MAD disallows Whizkid). All in all, I can imagine a P3T2 or similar AsSh in the hands of a WK2 player - but otherwise, the TacSh availability still beats AsSh almost anytime.

Note that you _start_ with an AsSh when playing Angel of Overconfidence. Be certain to make good use of it.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 23:29 by ZicherCZ »
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

tylor

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 12:56 »

Technically, Assault shotgun is guarantied in Mortuary. But it is probably a little too late.

ultimate26

• Backer
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 13:43 »

Will they ever fix fire-angel?

And i was browsing through the wiki and noticed that fire-angel is the technicians shotgun mastery which i dont understand because shotguns dont have explosive damage...

Can we have a proper shotgun mastery trait for technicians? Something along the lines of "Technical reload" would be nice, Maybe "Pump and reload can be done in one single instant action"

Evilpotatoe

• Backer
  • Major
  • Lost Soul corpse
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 14:42 »

I suggest MAD as the technicians mastery.

Btw, this might be a completely stupid idea, especially since I think I played MAD only once, on a 23 minutes run. But my main reason is that I don't understand why MAD denies WK. I'm pretty sure this is a collateral damage, and the finess block was just here to block... finess (and maybe juggler, which seems to be an insane skill).
This is also why I never use this mastery.

If it becomes techies's shotty mastery, it will enable focused double shotty and modded assemblies for MAD (plus, nano-crapnel, very useful when you already pierce armors :p)
The only remaning questions would be : what stat to replace Marine's shoty mastery & where to put fireAngel.

I got an idea for fireangel, but it involves adding a Demolition class, which would be quite off topic.
  • For curious ones :
    Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, to stay in topic... what do you think of moving MAD to the techies ?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 14:44 by Evilpotatoe »
Badges - [26/26/26/22/9/2] - 42/43

Thexare

• Elder
  • Captain
  • I think I need a new favorite gun now...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 20:27 »

Will they ever fix fire-angel?
Fixed in the betas.

And i was browsing through the wiki and noticed that fire-angel is the technicians shotgun mastery which i dont understand because shotguns dont have explosive damage...
While true, shotguns are prone to barrel-popping. There's another little trait change that'll make Fireangel more interesting, though - and no, it's not an explosive shotgun. It should be! But it isn't.
Former Human Corporal
1/42 M, 7/60 S, 3/30 A
[ 6 / 1 / 0 / 0 / 0 ]

Rajhin

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 02:08 »

I suggest MAD as the technicians mastery.
Btw, this might be a completely stupid idea, especially since I think I played MAD only once, on a 23 minutes run. But my main reason is that I don't understand why MAD denies WK. I'm pretty sure this is a collateral damage, and the finess block was just here to block... finess (and maybe juggler, which seems to be an insane skill).
This is also why I never use this mastery.
So, to stay in topic... what do you think of moving MAD to the techies ?
I think that MAD is about simple, blunt, slow but very powerful doomguy, not about some wimpy finesse or tricks. That is why it sucks on UV/N! where you cannot just tank demons and shoot them to death. But on lower difficuties its pretty good.
Also looking on tech's other mastertraits I suppose that shotgun mastery should be really different from normal shotgun priorities. Maybe even something without Shottyman.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 03:17 by Rajhin »
20/26 4/17
33/50
Pages: [1] 2  All