Chaosforge Forum

• April 16, 2024, 16:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Advanced key bindings & messages coloring  (Read 4952 times)

Evilpotatoe

• Backer
  • Major
  • Lost Soul corpse
    • View Profile
Advanced key bindings & messages coloring
« on: February 22, 2013, 07:58 »

Don't really know where to post this, maybe I should rather start editing the wiki ? I got my 20 posts after all.

Anyway. when I started playing, I found some message coloring somewhere in thoses forums. I must say it changed my DoomRL experience.
So, for anyone interrested, noobie or not, here are mine.

Quick weapons bindings are useful, since they allow to swap at the cost of 0.8s instead of 1s. in other word, they should always be used, since using from inventory doesn't quick swap, even when possible (sigh)
Put this in keybindings.lua, with other bindings
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Message coloring "just" helps you notice useful information in-game, and makes the message log much more readable. (don't forget to increase the log's size, to some thousands of lines, since defaut way too short)
Put this in config.lua, preferably at the end.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Btw, I also encourage you to remap keys such as SHIFT+U for weapon's unload, and custom other aspects of your config files.

Some notes :
-I got an AZERTY (french) keyboard, but I think bindings will be fine for any keyboard, since I had to put 'Q' for 'A', and semicolon for my 'M'.
-Before modifying files, always create a backup ! If your game crashes on launch after modifications, either revert to your backup, or look for the error. I think the most common error is missing a ',' in the middle of a list, or having one after the last element. (If you already screwed up your files, just extract again the config files from the game's zip, or a take them on a fresh install)
Badges - [26/26/26/22/9/2] - 42/43

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Re: Advanced key bindings & messages coloring
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 09:50 »

Yes I think information like this ought to go into a Wiki page.  We'll figure out how to align it with the rest of the Wiki later.
I computed, therefore I was.

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 11:30 »

Nice one, Sir. Thank you for the effort, as this should be _really_ helpful to recognize the more dangerous (or helpful) circumstances easier.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

Deathwind

• Colonel
  • HMP Angel of Patience 0.9.9.4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 04:56 »

adjusting the message colors has a major effect on the game, even if it only helps notice when a special level spawns. Here's the thread I copied my bindings from:  http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php/topic,4252.0.html
v.997 [16/5/2/0/0]

Evilpotatoe

• Backer
  • Major
  • Lost Soul corpse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 08:53 »

You should point out that the thread you link to is initially about colors bindings, which I didn't even mention in my post.

Tough, they don't seem to work on graphical version, do they ?
Is there some way to put a colored glow around berserk packs, some weapons, or nightmare monsters ?
Also, is there a way to alter affects (zerk/suit) colors, so that they don't ruin intuition on graphic version ?
Badges - [26/26/26/22/9/2] - 42/43

Deathwind

• Colonel
  • HMP Angel of Patience 0.9.9.4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 13:40 »

I didn't point that out because at the time of that thread there was only the console version, there isn't any way to change color bindings for the graphic version except changing the tile set.
v.997 [16/5/2/0/0]
Pages: [1]