Chaosforge Forum

• April 16, 2024, 15:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 3283 times)

Rajhin

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Suggestions
« on: February 23, 2013, 15:16 »

There was so many suggestion threads recently that I decided to made my own too. Sorry for my English, it isn't good enough for long posts but i gathered these ideas from .991 or .99 so I feel urge to post them after all.

1) First of all I'd like to see some balance between speed and protection on harder difficulties. By now player will almost always chooses speed, because as I said in other thread  best (and only reliable on UV/N!/AoHu) defence is avoidance.  Fast doomguy can outrun every danger, while protected will be trapped/exhausted or just torn apart by unlucky spawn in the middle of demon horde. I am unsure how it should be done, by nerfing speed bonuses (well game isn't that hard now for experienced players, but think about rookies!) or by buffing protection.

2) Implement some sourse of shells on deeper levels. It is a problem for shotgun games because after halls of carnage you can only pray to RNG. It was resolved in Inferno module (whick I really liked) by adding late shotgun wielding enemy. Too bad that enemy wasn't really doomish.

3) Add late enemies with bullet/shrapnel damage type. "Nightmare" formers, maybe. Now there is almost only fire and plasma.

4) Balance Unholy Cathedral. Spear/scythe shouldn't be *that* important in nonAo100 melee game, or UC should be really difficult for melee players. Someone ever considered not going there?

5) Make bonus for YAAM doomguys. Something like +5/10% experience from cleared levels. It will add more interest to risk on those tricky placed demon packs.

I have some more less important thoughts (like about ridiculous random reward in AoHu arena (really, 66% probability of worthless crap, 33% of best armor ingame) or poor normal cacos in lvl100 UV vaults), but that's all for now. Maybe I will add more later.
20/26 4/17
33/50

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 15:37 »

* thelaptop puts on Evil Sunglasses

1) First of all I'd like to see some balance between speed and protection on harder difficulties. By now player will almost always chooses speed, because as I said in other thread  best (and only reliable on UV/N!/AoHu) defence is avoidance.  Fast doomguy can outrun every danger, while protected will be trapped/exhausted or just torn apart by unlucky spawn in the middle of demon horde. I am unsure how it should be done, by nerfing speed bonuses (well game isn't that hard now for experienced players, but think about rookies!) or by buffing protection.
Speed is not the important concept here, it is the notion of not getting hit.  Speed just happens to be a much easier way to not get hit.  If there's a lesson that a rookie should learn, it is to not be in the line of fire, and to think before making a move.

2) Implement some sourse of shells on deeper levels. It is a problem for shotgun games because after halls of carnage you can only pray to RNG. It was resolved in Inferno module (whick I really liked) by adding late shotgun wielding enemy. Too bad that enemy wasn't really doomish.
Inventory planning is part and parcel of the game-play -- same reason why you can pick up rockets and plasma cells even before you get a Plasma Rifle or Rocket Launcher.  Think ahead and have a strategy -- this is DoomRL, not Duke Nukem Forever or Call of Duty.

3) Add late enemies with bullet/shrapnel damage type. "Nightmare" formers, maybe. Now there is almost only fire and plasma.
Not going to comment on this until 0.9.9.7 comes out.

4) Balance Unholy Cathedral. Spear/scythe shouldn't be *that* important in nonAo100 melee game, or UC should be really difficult for melee players. Someone ever considered not going there?
Too general.  One man's balance is another man's boredom.

5) Make bonus for YAAM doomguys. Something like +5/10% experience from cleared levels. It will add more interest to risk on those tricky placed demon packs.
Meaningless.  YAAM is only a status that you gain after the game is complete.  In a normal play through where you massacre ~80% of what you see, you can already gain lots of useful levels.  Considering the fact that the earlier levels have much easier enemies to kill and lower XP requirements per level, I don't see how additional bonus to XP can help.  When you are at CLev 6 or 7, you are already ready to rock out if you play carefully.

The long and short of my comments can be summarised thusly:
  • Changes that reduce the number of decisions that a player must make for the long-term are not really a good idea.
  • Not all runs through the game are winnable -- I know this is hard to wrap one's head around given the types of games we see these days, but defeat is something that should be acceptable to the player.  Learning from what caused you to not win in that scenario is part of the extra knowledge and experience one gets from playing rogue-likes like DoomRL.
I computed, therefore I was.

Evilpotatoe

• Backer
  • Major
  • Lost Soul corpse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 17:41 »

1) I only think armors should slow you a bit less (lol @gothic)... but I might be completely wrong.

2) Maybe true, but I just use 2 or 3 stacks when I fear loacking of ammo, and usually don't have thoses problems. Also, I got the bad habit to keep ammo boxes unused, "in case of need". Usually, I end the game with them...
My only usual exceptions are triple shotty box use in mortuaries, when I find Jackhammer, and cell packs for fast bosses with BFG.

About Inferno's asuras, I think they ARE doomish... a mancubus with shottys instead of rocket launchers doesn't seem wrong to me, and it keeps all the nice aspecs of a mancubus.

3) Fully agree. Also, I wonder why the mastermind doesn't fire bullets... but ok, let's continue waiting for 0.9.9.7

4) Indeed, all I like in this dungeon is the music... melee can be fun, but stomping a horde of demons is impossible/too hard when you're not melee, and just too easy when you are. Ability to nuke level is completely random, and the WORSE is... a single throwing knife (and some speed) are enough to clear the entire level damageless -.-
Note that again, Inferno's blood temple is a great improvement to this ! It even includes a warning message when entering (Too bad UC doesn't have one...)

5) Bad idea, imo. I always play YAAM, whatever difficulty or challenges I'm playing (well, I made a few exceptions for AoRA, or vaults without master's staff). I consider missing part of level & XP is rarely worth avoiding a few enemies.
Badges - [26/26/26/22/9/2] - 42/43

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 17:50 »

Note that again, Inferno's blood temple is a great improvement to this ! It even includes a warning message when entering (Too bad UC doesn't have one...)
This isn't inferno, and "There are stairs leading to the Unholy Cathedral here." when standing over a RED > isn't enough of a warning for you?
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

Nick

• First Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 14:32 »

Since we have an odd suggestions thread here, I'll add mine. It's not even a suggestion, it's kinda "if I have".
If I have sources, I'll probably make a Video For Windows driver, emulating a video capture device. Unlike "desktop grabbing recorders", this one will be frame-by-frame in sync with the game steps and will provide all visible battlefield, not just the area you're currently scrolled onto. So it'll be possible to replay the whole game, not as it was played in real time, but quickly, one frame per one move. I think 5 FPS will be OK.

tylor

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 15:19 »

There is a program "dosrecorder" that works with doomrl in console mode.
Pages: [1]