Chaosforge Forum

  • May 14, 2021, 10:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.



Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: ARMED nuke!  (Read 3646 times)

singalen

  • Supporter
  • Second Lieutenant
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 182
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
ARMED nuke!
« on: February 26, 2013, 09:20 »

Why cannot I carry it around, after all?
Most I can do is to take it to a lower level or two - as far as homing phases and luck permit.

And why cannot WK2/Scavenger disarm it? I know, AoRA and stuff.. BTW an AoRA nuke doesn't have to lie NEAR you at the level entry, so you still have a chance to explode.
Logged

Kornel Kisielewicz

  • God Hand
  • Apostle
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4548
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Re: ARMED nuke!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 09:47 »

Armed nukes cannot be carried around due to engine limitations. As for disarming armed nukes -- hmm, that could actually work if you would have to sacrifice a mod to do it (any mod).
Logged
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Tormuse

  • Elder
  • General
  • *
  • *
  • Online Online
  • Posts: 1641
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
Re: ARMED nuke!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 09:54 »

...As for disarming armed nukes -- hmm, that could actually work if you would have to sacrifice a mod to do it (any mod).

Ooh, that could be interesting...  And lower levels of Whizkid would require more mods to disarm them!
Logged
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

singalen

  • Supporter
  • Second Lieutenant
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 182
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: ARMED nuke!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 10:09 »

Or WK1 will just destroy it, and WK2/Scavenger will pick it up then.
Logged

Evilpotatoe

  • Backer
  • Major
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 316
  • Lost Soul corpse
    • View Profile
Re: ARMED nuke!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 10:19 »

Could be a good idea, but I wouldn't like it to work on AoRA. Too easy. You could also just ask the player if he prefers cutting the blue or the red wire, giving him 50% chances to disarm the nuke, and 50% to get a nice death :p
I usually hate random factors, but this one sounds fun to me (and is not necessary in normal circumstances)

Oh, also WHY can't we fuse a nuke in a level already containing an armed one ? It sometimes could be cool, to clear a level (UC / valuts ? :p), when you got some invulnerability, but armed nuke prevents it... and you rarely have the X needed minutes of invulnerability to wait for this stupid existing nuke to explode.
Any reason to disallow this ?
Logged
Badges - [26/26/26/22/9/2] - 42/43

thelaptop

  • Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2513
  • Grumpy Admin
    • View Profile
Re: ARMED nuke!
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 10:34 »

Ooh, that could be interesting...  And lower levels of Whizkid would require more mods to disarm them!
Nah.  Use of mod and/or WK reduces the probability of a failure in disarmament of the thermie.  In the beginning, you have a 80% chance of it blowing up in your face; each mod/WK level reduces that by 5%.

Why make it easy to defuse a thermie?
Logged
I compute, therefore I am.

2nd Lieutenant (JH 0.9.8a)
[7/7/2/0/0/0]

ZicherCZ

  • Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 740
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
Re: ARMED nuke!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 12:11 »

Still easy with Invuln running.

I can imagine something like 80% chance of blowing up without WK, with a 20% reduction per WK rank. Another/complementary option is to ask for a _specific_ mod (common mods with more weight, rare ones with less weight, and the rare requirement increasing with depth) - just any mod requirement is way too soft. And of course - no chance at all on AoRA.
Logged
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

Tormuse

  • Elder
  • General
  • *
  • *
  • Online Online
  • Posts: 1641
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
Re: ARMED nuke!
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 14:18 »

I'd say anything less than 100% chance of success makes it not worth the attempt unless you really have no other option, i.e. you only have a few seconds left and can't find the stairs.
Logged
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

thelaptop

  • Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2513
  • Grumpy Admin
    • View Profile
Re: ARMED nuke!
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 16:47 »

Still easy with Invuln running.
Blechh.  If you have Invuln running, why are you disarming the free XP generator?!
Logged
I compute, therefore I am.

2nd Lieutenant (JH 0.9.8a)
[7/7/2/0/0/0]

ZicherCZ

  • Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 740
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
Re: ARMED nuke!
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 23:43 »

Blechh.  If you have Invuln running, why are you disarming the free XP generator?!
Dunno. Maybe if you have last 10 seconds of Invuln and the bomb will go off in 30?
Logged
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

singalen

  • Supporter
  • Second Lieutenant
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 182
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: ARMED nuke!
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 04:00 »

Blechh.  If you have Invuln running, why are you disarming the free XP generator?!
To take it with me to a lower level?
Logged

raekuul

  • Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 668
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
Re: ARMED nuke!
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 06:24 »

That would be a nice option, though.

"There is an armed nuke here."
U
"Would you like to [T]rigger the nuke, attempt to [D]isable it, or leave it alone?"
T
"Are you sure? [Y/n]"

Triggering would make it explode instantly, while disabling it successfully would make it completely useless.
Logged
Quote
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

tylor

  • Sergeant
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 63
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: ARMED nuke!
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 12:26 »

Btw, what will make nuke (placed by you, or not) explode prematurely? I heard dropping it into acid would, but what about shooting it with rocket launcher and such?
Logged

Nick

  • First Sergeant
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 103
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: ARMED nuke!
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 10:59 »

I like the idea "press u to set it off right now". If you came to level Invulnerable, it's sorta insta-win (rare luck), but more probably you'll use it with nearby Inv globe, if any.
Logged

Melon

  • Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 535
  • Men are from Mars, Women are from Snickers
    • View Profile
Re: ARMED nuke!
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 12:17 »

Logged
Ludzie, którzy piją, są dla mnie niczym...

... niczym bracia!
Pages: [1]