Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 11:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Tech mods and armor, small change?  (Read 13444 times)

Fanta Hege

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Will it work? I HAVE NO IDEA
    • View Profile
Tech mods and armor, small change?
« on: February 27, 2013, 16:28 »

How about instead of increasing knockback, make it increase the resistance values when used on armor.
Because face it, you have pretty much no reasonings to use tech mod on armor unless you got absolutely nothing else to use it on or are trying to make an assembly. Knockback resistance just isn't that good for non meelees.
Resistance increase could be very worthwhile investment to consider for armors.
i dont even know anymore

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Re: Tech mods and armor, small change?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 17:57 »

I actually kinda like this idea, especially if it would only increase physical resistances (melee, shrapnel, pistols).
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Nick

• First Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 01:59 »

And... increases some resistances and decreases others, depending on the type of the armor? So players will have to try to figure out, like assemblies? ;)

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 02:28 »

And... increases some resistances and decreases others, depending on the type of the armor? So players will have to try to figure out, like assemblies? ;)

I vote Nay to this - I think gameplay systems should be more simplified than they are now
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

Nick

• First Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 02:47 »

More "coffee-break"? Maybe... but this is not as critical as assemblies are, so one neither get much from a good upgrade nor suffer much from mistake. I think it's rather "space for exploration" than "another list to learn".

Evilpotatoe

• Backer
  • Major
  • Lost Soul corpse
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 05:13 »

I think giving resistances depending on armor types is a good idea.
Another would be to allow any mod use for resistances improvement, as another way of improving armors. e.g. bulk could add 100% durability or 25% "low" resists (melee/shrap/bullets). P could give +2 armor or 25%.. maybe acid ? T and A would improve plasma/fire.
What I don't like in this idea is that it makes mod use "more complicated", but what seems good is that I would use something else than always A and P. Carrying multiple armors would become quite interesting.

I vote Nay to this - I think gameplay systems should be more simplified than they are now
Same opinion here.
I love roguelikes for their difficulty, but I *hate* hidden knowledge. Some call information spoilers, but this just appears to be the game rules to me.

Anyway, even after reading wikis or whatever, you'll still need to experiment, since there is a huge gap between theory and practice. But not having enough in-game informations (like monsters resistances, or some precise items effects, e.g. forshockwave pack) is really frustrating, especially when discovering the game.
It's the same problem with unintuitive cornershooting... if I didn't watch a video of gameHunter, I would'nt have figured that monster's line of sight are intentionally bad, and would have stopped playing, because "HMP is too hard"...
As long as roguelikes are so complicated, they will remain a niche for geeks... It's too bad millions of people play WoW but only a few know doomRL :(
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 05:15 by Evilpotatoe »
Badges - [26/26/26/22/9/2] - 42/43

Nick

• First Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 05:27 »

I like to have basic information (barely enough to win) revealed and advanced hidden, just to have a space to explore. I allowed myself to read Wiki only when I've found a nuclear plasmagun and then discovered the burst cannon assembly on it. And placed the Power mod. And have the Burst Nuclear Plasma Gun (P1).
And only then I thought I know the Tao and can just read the details.

Basic: Tech improves the main purpose of an armor.
Advanced: You have +1 main protection on Red, +40% to Melee and Shrapnel on Bulletproof, and you have twice as much repair effect from Armor Shards on the cursed Cybernetic Armor. At least, you know what to do and what to avoid if you have the Tech Pack and a new armor.

Nick

• First Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 05:30 »

Actually, it's good to have the same principle in some other details. For example, we all know Lost Soul screams on first levels mean there are well-guarded good things nearby. But we never know which ones and do they worth the fight.
It's totally random, not determinated-but-hidden. But the effect is close.

Also, I love the idea itself. Maybe it's even better than change Gatling assembly from Ch+BB to Ch+TT, as I suggested. But may be Tech will be TOO useful, that's why I suggest to place some difficulties on this way.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 05:33 by Nick »

tylor

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 10:02 »

Resist bonus could be nice, but it's just so many of types.
What about bonus to dodge?

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 09:08 »

Resist bonus could be nice, but it's just so many of types.
What about bonus to dodge?
IMO:
Tech mods should add technical stuff (resistances, etc).
Agi mods should add dodge stuff.

Thexare

• Elder
  • Captain
  • I think I need a new favorite gun now...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 21:20 »

How's this for a simple mix of ideas: Tech mods increase resistances already present, and "related" resistances -these would be grouped into Melee/Bullet/Shrapnel, and Fire/Plasma. Physical or Energy, basically, should be easy enough to remember. So on Blue or Red, you'd get a Fire and Plasma resistance boost, while Green would boost Melee, Bullet, and Shrapnel resistance.

The only time this formula wouldn't work is Onyx Armor, I'll let someone else figure out what to do there.
Former Human Corporal
1/42 M, 7/60 S, 3/30 A
[ 6 / 1 / 0 / 0 / 0 ]

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 05:55 »

How's this for a simple mix of ideas: Tech mods increase resistances already present, and "related" resistances -these would be grouped into Melee/Bullet/Shrapnel, and Fire/Plasma. Physical or Energy, basically, should be easy enough to remember. So on Blue or Red, you'd get a Fire and Plasma resistance boost, while Green would boost Melee, Bullet, and Shrapnel resistance.

The only time this formula wouldn't work is Onyx Armor, I'll let someone else figure out what to do there.
Blue - increase only plasma res (and protection)
Red - increase only fire res (and maybe protection)
Green - increase melee, bullet, shrapnel res and protection (needed, as it is pretty weak when compared to others)

This way even a green armor could be useful in a late game (and I hope Spidey will get SuperChaingun - with bullet-type damage - in future, like in the original Doom).

Deathwind

• Colonel
  • HMP Angel of Patience 0.9.9.4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 21:36 »

Mind if I make another suggestion? Make T-mods decrease the rate armor takes damage?
v.997 [16/5/2/0/0]

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 06:31 »

Than it would be basically a duplicate of bulk mod - making armor last longer.
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

Nick

• First Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 10:53 »

...and Environment Suit should give you 100% Acid resistance, totally saving your armor and body from that howling goats for this short time it lasts :)
Pages: [1] 2  All