Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 06:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Best Melee fighter in Doom RL  (Read 6301 times)

deathknight1728

• Elder
  • Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Best Melee fighter in Doom RL
« on: February 28, 2013, 09:40 »

Im currently loving the game as a melee fighter and am using a marine melee fighter with tough as nails, brute and ironman traits. I find it to be mostly a concept of if I can get to the enemy with most of my health high, that enemy will die in the next round or 2. I still dont have the powerful melee weapons yet but Im enjoying this so far.

Has anyone actually thought of which melee fighter is best for the game. I like the hardy marine type as its good to have a load of health and hardiness to take hits. However I can see why hellrunner/finesse fighters might be cool too.

What do you like when you go melee? I'd like to know as I always like to try new builds in the future.

tylor

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Best Melee fighter in Doom RL
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 10:00 »

I think it boils down to masteries, and Vampyre is just better.

IronBeer

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Carry on, citizen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 11:50 »

I've always had better luck with Blademaster or Malicious Blades than with Vampyre. MVm is a COOL trait, I'm not going to deny that, but my personal style is better served by the other two options.

Blademaster is good because you can rapidly close in with a foe and tear them up. Tankiness isn't a huge deal since a berserk status makes any doomguy very hard to kill, and the free action after a kill is a massive plus for Blademaster. Pain Elementals (and their progeny) become trivial, and even packs of 1- to 2-swing enemies die rapidly. Plus, nobody ever said you had to use that free action offensively.

Malicious Blades isn't really a melee-first build, but it plays really well with the item- and upgrade-happy nature of the Technician class. To truly shine, MMB needs Juggler, which can be snagged the very next level after getting the master. Your playstyle changes once you have Juggler- essentially, you trade in the convenience of your prepared slot for a huge defensive buff. Typically, I play a MMB character as a gunfighter first, with a strong melee backup for enemies in my face or melee-weak monsters. Also, rocketjumping is a neat trick that a MMB character can do with almost no pain. It's a great way to conserve actions from a powerup, lets you rapidly close in on an enemy, and is incredibly handy in the Mortuary (since the splash from your rockets will gib corpses!).
0.9.9.7 Mancubus 1st Lieutenant
[19/12/5/1/0]

deathknight1728

• Elder
  • Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 12:47 »

Is the badass trait good to take? I was thinking of using it for my tank but didnt know what it did. It says health decay, so does that mean when you have an abundance of health, it stays for 50% more?

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 13:34 »

Best in what situation?
Pure melee:
If i have access to LS/AS/DS and anti-grav boots then MBm wins with a HUGE margin. You simply can't say no to death machine that moves 5 tiles per second without stopping to kill things.
Only LS/AS/DS and no anti-grav - MBm and MVm are on par.
With simple chainsaw MVm is a bit better i'd say.
Only knives: MVm and MMB.
Hybrid melee-ranged:
MMB. It blocks only Ber, EE and TaN. Ber is unneeded anyway, you get free ton of resistances so TaN isn't that important and EE is not that much of a loss.

Badass reduces knockback and your health no longer drops if it's more than 100%.(First level is nodrop up to 150%, second is nodrop up to 200%(max)).
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 13:37 by AlterAsc »
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

ih8regin

• Captain
  • You dodge! The Cyberdemon dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 23:05 »

I vote for hardy, namely Vampyre, while Scout+HR+Brute+Fin+Ripper+Zerk is extremely fast, Vampyre is just that, you go find a pain elemental, drop your armor, split lost souls in a corridor and have a lot of fun :)
0.9.9.6: Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant, wins 3|5|3|2|0, badges [22|17|7|1|0]
0.9.9.7: badges [21|17|17|10|1|wow,1], quest: UV each challenge (9/16)

deathknight1728

• Elder
  • Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 08:25 »

I vote for hardy, namely Vampyre, while Scout+HR+Brute+Fin+Ripper+Zerk is extremely fast, Vampyre is just that, you go find a pain elemental, drop your armor, split lost souls in a corridor and have a lot of fun :)

I just lost my marine after 66% of the game. Im going to try that scout version you mentioned. I find that I get more from these games when I die compared to any other game I play. Next time, Ill scrap tough as nails as it doesnt seem worth it compared to ironman, hrunner and brute. Hopefully dodgemaster is worth it later on :)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 08:26 by deathknight1728 »

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 11:24 »

Tough as Nails is worth it taking if you have another sources of damage reduction. For example berserk state from berserker.
-2 dmg isn't much when you get hit by 15 dmg shots, but if you're berserking then these 15 first get reduced to 8, then let's say you wear blue armor so you get damaged by 6. With TaN2 you take 4dmg. -33% damage taken.
It also really helps against shrapnel and enemies with chain attacks. Arachnotrons are much less dangerous if you take (max[1d5-2,1])x5 then 1d5x5. Iirc defense from TaN isn't cut by half by plasma(not sure though).
Lastly it's always noticable in melee fight when you berserk hasn't triggered yet.

Another thing is: taking Iro reduces your chances to rage due to being hit. By default all classes go into rage from one vile blast and since damage calculation in this matter goes backwards you're always sure that one arch-vile is no problem for you. But take Iro2 (Iro1 for marines) and feel pleasure as you take full 20 dmg every blast and god, where are you runnning with 160% speed????

tl;dr : in melee game TaN is almost always better then Iro. If you also can take HR, then take it too. Taking more than Bru2 is useful only if you plan on using double chainsaw/ripper or you're stuck with fists/knives only.

deathknight1728

• Elder
  • Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 06:11 »

Ok, quick question about something else. Im currently lvl 2 as my former character died on lvl 15 of game. I decided to make a scout instead of a marine and this time, I decided to take 2 lvls of hell runner. My question is is hell runner give the ability to dodge both bullets and melee or just bullets? Im only asking as I want to find a way to doge melee as well. Although bullets usually help me advance to melee or dodge in the first place. I checked the dodge chart but it confused me. Any info would be much appreciated.

Evilpotatoe

• Backer
  • Major
  • Lost Soul corpse
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 08:48 »

Very interesting question, but I think it belongs to the quick questions thread.
http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php/topic,3999.0.html

Also, is there any other place to find this kind of informations ? I read many parts of the wiki, but if any "knowledge base" exists, it would be good to have it sticked. This game (as most roguelikes), cruelly lacks documentation.
Badges - [26/26/26/22/9/2] - 42/43

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 08:48 »

Seems like you misunderstand what 'dodge' is.
Dodging is an action where you move transversely to line of fire between you and enemy. After such action enemy has the chance to target not your current position but your previous one. If you stand on one spot HR and all +dodge items do absolutely nothing.
And it doesn't work on melee attacks. Besides if you want to avoid being attacked in melee you can just step back.

2DeviationsOut

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 09:38 »

I've played a LOT of DoomRL, and I can say that hardiness and any passive defense are worthless compared to raw speed and offensive capability. If I can kill an enemy before they can attack, or I can dodge the attack with either tactical defense or active defense, then that's far better than just taking a bit less damage.
Pages: [1]