Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 01:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Getting reacquainted  (Read 3356 times)

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
Getting reacquainted
« on: March 20, 2013, 01:58 »

Hi everyone,

Since I've been a bad supporter over the past half a year or so, and I suddenly have quite some time on my hands due to personal circumstances, I thought I'd do a proper check-up on how things are going here. Seems I picked the perfect time, with 0997 just being released :) Take a couple of minutes for this little story and then off we go, first game since June or July, I think.

I tried keeping tabs on the forum, especially the PBF bit - I really hope the Dark Heresy thing gets reanimated - but unfortunately several key figures either don't respond to my msgs or seem to have disappeared completely. The Bubblegum thing also petered out just as I was gearing up to step in, it appears.
As such: I'd like to launch a PBF myself, for up to about 4 players. System/rules are of minor importance, setting is up for discussion. Anyone who has ideas, please reply so I can get a feel for things.

In the meantime I've been working on some music as well, finally getting things going. I'm hoping to post my first true production on YouTube soon, and I won't hesitate to annoy you with it. I've been talking to Kornel about contributing music to the Forge on a couple of occassions, but as of yet nothing solid came from this. I am very much willing to try commissioned work though, for games or short animations for example, so anyone who's looking for such, please give me a shout. Check out my YouTube Channel for influences and such; I did upload some songs to which I've contributed, but none of them truly reflect the way I'm heading.

So. Now to descend into Hell and see what's happening.

Regards,

Dee
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Ashannar

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Shottyhead Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Getting reacquainted
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 17:06 »

Neat! I've been the same way. Haven't played for a good 6-7 months, and managed to win my first game in 0.9.9.7 on HNTR. :) Then I got a little cocky and tried for AoB and died. I remember when I left off I was just barely able to beat U in certain modes.
Hell Baron Major (0.9.9.7) 22 18 12 1 0 0

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 19:02 »

Oh look, it's Dee. Welcome back. :D
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 08:48 »

I remember when I left off I was just barely able to beat U in certain modes.

I could barely knock a dent into HMP when I quit, and am now severely whooped on ITYTD again. Sloppy gameplay mostly, so I think I'll climb back up soon enough. Maybe at some point I'll even see a UV game; the game itself feels more than enough of an improvement to get me all excited again, at least.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Radagast

• First Sergeant
  • Cogito ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 12:54 »

Hang up in there, most of us started on first two difficulties anyway.
Just do some runs, enjoy the game, and do some small breaks to check strategies or items etc in both the wiki and the forum. This helped me a lot. Also taking my time in levels helped.

Just follow your instinct and play as fast as you like. I'm still an uber slow player compared to others in here ( I still do 5-9 hours per run mind you which is probably outrageous for many fast players), but I guess we all need different amount of times to enjoy it and properly advance through it. Taking my time actually enhances the experience for me and it makes it easier to avoid silly/rush deaths.

Personally I found out that once you play 5-10 decent runs and finally understand how corner shooting works, and at which angles and ranges you can hit and "not" get hit back, knockback-kill hard monsters with shotguns etc, it gets much much easier.
This is probably the right moment to progressively change to HMP and UV. At least that's my opinion about it. And it's not by any means an easy game, but it does get easier the more you play. Nightmare is entirely another story though which I'd never recommend to anyone since it reaches the borders of masochism.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 02:30 by Radagast »
[0.997G] Hell Baron, Lt. Colonel
SP:56/67, ASB:36/40, Medals: 28/43, Badges: 20|17|12|5|2|0
Games: 37 -- Wins: 0/2/3/5/0, best game so far: AoSh/UV/YAAM
Now trying: Arch-Vile/Colonel (11k kills, 150 melee kills, 3 Gold to get)
Pages: [1]