Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 14:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: "Mid"-Classic Doom feature?  (Read 3591 times)

GinDiamond

• First Sergeant
  • Warrant Officer-Mancubus, trying to get all Bronze
    • View Profile
    • GinDiamond Stuff
"Mid"-Classic Doom feature?
« on: March 23, 2013, 14:26 »

I really liked 0.9.9.6. Sure, it had some glaring bugs (Fireangel didn't work, some enemies were "too smart", liquid spawning problems), but other than that, I think that 0.9.9.6 siginfied the climax of the "modern-age classic" DoomRL.

I mean, Classic DoomRl was when you had the 10 levels and no special levels and just the Cybie to deal with. The "modern-classic" DoomRl is the one like 0.9.9.1 to 0.9.9.6, the one with 11 special levels, all the same, not much changing, same exotic/unique weapons/mods/stuff, and similar assemblies all the way.

Sure, I like 0.9.9.7, but I feel that new special levels change the entire feel of the game. It's like playing Inferno for the first time--you don't know what's going to happen, you're caught off-guard, and you feel kind of lost, now that your usual routine has been overhauled.

I would really like to see a "0.9.9.6" mode in new DoomRl versions.
Do not muddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
Re: "Mid"-Classic Doom feature?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 14:38 »

Hmmm. You registered around the same time as I did, so I'll assume you started playing around the same time too. Isn't starting 0997 actually the same as starting 0996 back when, then? I mean, not knowing what's going to happen and stuff?

I think I know what you're saying, but I actually kinda like the thrill of it. And you can still play 0996, of course.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

GinDiamond

• First Sergeant
  • Warrant Officer-Mancubus, trying to get all Bronze
    • View Profile
    • GinDiamond Stuff
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 14:51 »

nah, I started playing literally the day after 0.9.9.4 was released. I had no idea about how big of a game DoomRl was and will become. I was just some innoccent player. However, I quickly learned, and seeked out older versions of DoomRL. I watched Game Hunter's tuts on youtube, and I have to say, I've become quite good. Not as good as 2Dev or anybody who can go through Inferno as Nightmare! and not get hit once.

But no. 0.9.9.7 is not the same as 0.9.9.6 at all.
Do not muddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 15:50 »

You young whippersnappers! I remember when we only had version 0.9.8.10. In those days there weren't any of your new-fangled assemblies or fancy-schmancy master traits or high-falutin' classes! No! We only had UAC's leftover shit! And we had to pry it out of the dead marines' cold hands first! Uphill! In the snow! Both ways!

[/fogey]

(EDIT: Oh to hear that as said by Tabitha St. Germain)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 15:53 by raekuul »
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

tehtmi

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 17:32 »

You young whippersnappers! I remember when we only had version 0.9.8.10. In those days there weren't any of your new-fangled assemblies or fancy-schmancy master traits or high-falutin' classes! No! We only had UAC's leftover shit! And we had to pry it out of the dead marines' cold hands first! Uphill! In the snow! Both ways!

I was definitely going to say this.  "Modern classic" DoomRL is clearly 0.9.8.10 :P

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 18:22 »

Now when you first won DoomRL, was it on ITYTD?

Bzzzzzt, you suck, real DoomRL just kicks you in to level 1 the moment you run DoomRL.exe (well, DoomRL.bat, I suppose)

To actually add to this thread beyond a stupid joke, I'm not sure if there's going to be much demand for past version mods - especially considering that there's been recent talk about putting all versions up as an archive in 2 weeks or so.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40
Pages: [1]