Chaosforge Forum

• April 25, 2024, 08:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Opinions on new special levels needed!  (Read 22842 times)

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Opinions on new special levels needed!
« on: March 23, 2013, 17:18 »

So, some time passed since the release, and I'm really interested on your opinions on the new special levels! Short and long opinions all welcome!
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Isasaur

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions on new special levels needed!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 17:19 »

omgz 2 shamblers

2scary4me

on a less sillier note, the shamblers seem to have ridiculously high hp/resistances to bullets/shrapnel (there was a thread on the post-mortem subforum talking about this), and the phobos lab was really cool, with the levers and stuff, and those are the only dungeons i got to see, so i can't really give my opinion on the other ones.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 17:27 by Isasaur »
:D

Rajhin

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 18:00 »

I think that Phobos Lab is much harder than Military Base (thanks to nightmare demons and unavoidable ambushes), Containment Area isn't equal to The Wall (maybe the later needs some changes?) and new Halls of Carnage was a nasty surprise (but I liked it),
Haven't seen Limbo and Mount Erebus yet (is this some "store two envirosuits for whole game" level too?)
20/26 4/17
33/50

oohhboy

• Backer
  • Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 18:04 »

So far the new levels have been lots of fun. The difficulty is about right. Still haven't played some of the higher end special levels like limbo or Erebus. Could cut down on the ambushes though.

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 18:13 »

Containment Area is a fair bit easier than The Wall. Not only that, but if you're not feeling up to the challenge it's also easier to take a partial reward. Giving the player the missile launcher before they even need to fight the barons is a huge shift in difficulty and I don't feel like there was anything to balance it back to "as hard as The Wall".

Everything else is pretty fun and well balanced. I would say that halls of carnage is still a tad easier than spider's lair but I've only done the new halls of carnage as a Shottyhead scout, so I was essentially custom-built for perfect close-range cornershooting which is what halls of carnage is all about. Maybe I'll have more trouble doing it with pistols or something.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 19:11 »

Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

Ashannar

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Shottyhead Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 19:35 »

Military base: really a lot of fun! And just about perfect for the depth you find it. I like the special formers. :) I also like how there is a guaranteed item to help you out with the second half of the level if you know where to look.

Phobos Lab: I agree it's harder than the military base. The biggest problem is shortly after hitting the final lever. I ran into some nasty situations that required a phase in that place.

Containment area: I agree that it's a little easier than the Wall. I also found it humorous that I had the backpack in my hands before I saw the first enemy the time I ran through it.

Abyssal Plains: I had a nice rapid fire cateye build going on. Clearing out the hell knights and barons was a cakewalk. I got a little cocky and wasn't at all prepared for what awaited me in the center of the level! After almost dying, I successfully phased out, thank goodness, and was able to clear the level. I like it. If you prepare for it, it's a nice alternative to City of Skulls.

The one with all the levers: Yeah, I wasn't at all prepared for what all my lever-pulling would unleash. It's a fun level, though. I like camping the teleporter exit area and slaughtering enemies one by one. :D But yes, the boss encounter is very difficult.

I'm kind of indifferent about the new Spider layout. It didn't seem to make much of a difference to me. I'm disappointed that nuclear plasma rifle isn't the prize for beating it anymore, though. As for the rest, I haven't been man enough to enter them yet! Soon.. soon.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 22:57 by Ashannar »
Hell Baron Major (0.9.9.7) 22 18 12 1 0 0

Shinji_Ikari_9th

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lock and load!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 21:51 »

Haven't played much myself now that the new version is out, but what levels I've seen I've liked.
(Excpecialy the Millitary Base.)
Over and Out!

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 23:16 »

So far I've seen the Military Base, Phobos Lab, the Wall (on revised Depth) and new Spider's Lair, all of which seem very good to me.
For the City of Skulls I've not seen any significant changes yet, but that's probably due to still having to reach it on HNTR+.
As indicated by Maizure above, the Deimos Lab came as somewhat of a shocker to me.

All in all, I think they make for a better game, with the added randomness of it.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Equality

• Second Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 02:29 »

Well, tomorrow I think about start such a topic but think that I need more testing. First impression:

- well, new special levels seems better. Randomness of paired levels is a great.

But lets look on 9.9.6 special levels. They are all challenging and make a chain of dependencies - you need complete one or two for (easy) completing another.

Hell Arena - challenge. You need to complete it if you want Rocket launcher (and break the Wall) and if you want get Arena Master Staff for breaking Vaults.
Chained Court - challenge.  You face a strong AM who can resurrect enemies. You need complete CC for easy scavenge Vaults.
The Wall - challenge. Only Phobos-7 (and player level about 5-7), and for breaking wall you need previous win on Arena and get Rocket launcher. Reward not only backpack, but also Missile Launcher - great weapon for dealing with Bruiser Brothers on next level.

Halls of Carnage - challenge. Lava flood + former sergeants + demons + cacodemons/hell knights + closed doors. And BFG make things much easy on next special.

Hell Armory - challenge. No dependencies, but a good level for everyone. ...who can kill shambler.

City of Sculls - challenge. You need beat this for more easy handling corpses on Mortuary

Spiders Lair - of course challenge. At this point we have a master trait ready. MAc + nuclear plasmagun means no more ammo needed. Only some rockets... And nuclear weapon means nuke possibility, critical for Full win.

UC - every melee char must win that level for getting absolute melee weapon and...
Mortuary - give us a second part of set, armor. One of most challenging special level.

Vaults - challenge. Just good place for getting experience, some badges and rare weapons.

Lava Pit - of course challenge. And you need complete it and get reward for full win.

New special levels have not such dependencies anymore.

New Arena - good.
New Chained Court - yes! both layout, and without Arena Master it extremely good.

Phobos lab/Military base - both are nice. A good two levels, very "doomish" in style. But not so challenging (for that depth we are need some more dangerous) - and no missile launcher as a reward for next, Anomaly

The Wall/Containment Area - both are excellent but... for that depth we have something plasma/rocket firing and not so challenging anymore. And not need win on Arena for breaking them.

Deimos Lab - ouch! The best one. With insane difficulty and 2 shamblers. But... not equal Hells Armory! And not for that depth, IMO. Dangerous like opened Vaults.

Abyssal Plains - good. But... are you sure that Agony Elemental must be on ITYTD?

Halls of Carnage - at new depth it becomes easy, and paired with Spiders Lair???? Why? :( was nice have both (AND, not OR)

Limbo - excellent pair for Mortuary, no comments.
Mt Erebus - excellent pair for Lava Pits, no comments.
Once advanced DoomRL player
Find mysterious sword Dragonslayer
Say "Best thing ever found!" and start jumping around...
But he can't get the sword from the ground

VANDAM

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 03:39 »

Change Mort/Limbo+UC  (demons to N! demons V to N! V...) after special conditions (uw cond) (if they were not satisfied then normal spawn). Also You can change ME and LP.
Archangel of minimum damage (you deal min damage always enemies — maximum).
Archangel of should be selectable in double angel.
Adjust the hell armory to be equal to DL.
New special level:
"You feel that you're playing different game"
On this level there will be enemies from different RL with items from those RLs.
---
And Archangel of Infinity (IC in adom)
---
Special levels for Ao100-666:
Boss base: You're fighting with bosses C, M, JC, and so on.
Abandoned base: A base with insane marines.

[16/17] AAo666 left.^W
Deleted and started again.
[4/17] And now I've got AAo666 (hate this challenge very much).

Equality

• Second Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 04:37 »

And Archangel of Infinity (IC in adom)
no, no references to ADoM here. ID in ADoM is interesting and have a lot of things like weapons, armor, spellbooks, potions and so on. Monsters have levels and rat lvl 10 is more dangerous than troll level 1. We have a lot of possibilities like gardening, alchemy, reading books, pickpocketing enemies and so on. Descending to infinity in DoomRL just booooring. Imagine: past level 300 only monster for such danger level is a Cyberdemon. And you are welcome to infinity of Cyberdemons )) Again and again. Until you die. Not funny at all. Sorry.
Once advanced DoomRL player
Find mysterious sword Dragonslayer
Say "Best thing ever found!" and start jumping around...
But he can't get the sword from the ground

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 04:57 »

Well, the ADOM reference I made was to the fact that your _character_ can literally die of old age there, mostly after ghost(lords and kings) attacks. Two or three hits and your troll is toast, and even grey elves won't last forever.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

VANDAM

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 07:18 »

no, no references to ADoM here. ID in ADoM is interesting and have a lot of things like weapons, armor, spellbooks, potions and so on. Monsters have levels and rat lvl 10 is more dangerous than troll level 1. We have a lot of possibilities like gardening, alchemy, reading books, pickpocketing enemies and so on. Descending to infinity in DoomRL just booooring. Imagine: past level 300 only monster for such danger level is a Cyberdemon. And you are welcome to infinity of Cyberdemons )) Again and again. Until you die. Not funny at all. Sorry.
Aro666 is grind.
AroI isn't intended to be funny so as Aro666.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 07:19 by VANDAM »
[16/17] AAo666 left.^W
Deleted and started again.
[4/17] And now I've got AAo666 (hate this challenge very much).

Q2ZOv

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 10:44 »

I have not played much games still, so hust a few notes:

Out of three arena types one with courner-cutted pillars is much harder that other ones (it is not suited for corpsestacking at all)

New CC is great, new CC+ is the same as old and that means that it is great.

Phobos lab harder than military base. I think military base difficulty increase needed.

Deimos lab is way harder that armory, i think that some layout tweaks to DL needed.

The wall - very easy, it wasn't hard before when it was on lvl7 and now it is just super easy. Containment area - looks really hard, not sure though.

City of skulls - missile launcher reward is useless (since it is later than the wall).

The rest I either still didn't see or they are just like in 0.9.9.6.

0.9.9.7 Imp Corporal
[6/3/2/1/1/0]
0.9.9.6 Cyberdemon God Hand
[24/22/22/17/15]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5