Chaosforge Forum

• April 18, 2024, 07:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: CyberDemon dodging  (Read 2907 times)

BrickGun

• Supporter of Chaos
  • Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
    • BrickGun
CyberDemon dodging
« on: March 24, 2013, 17:32 »

I've been playing since .9.9.1 and have come up against the CB many times, and beaten him a fair number of them, but I don't feel I have ever gotten a grasp on the timing of dodging his shots. Even with Dodgemaster and a bunch of HR bumps. I've read all the strategy info I could find here, watched videos, etc. I understand the "move perp to his shots", etc. But how anyone manages to pull off a damageless run against him, dodging every shot and never getting spalsh damage from the pillars in the ToB is beyond me. Can anyone shed any light on the sequence/timing to outwit that punk? :P
(0.9.9.7) Hell Knight Warrant Officer
[M:116 11/43] [I:248 51/67] [A:144 24/40] [22/7/3/0/0]

Rajhin

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: CyberDemon dodging
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 17:43 »

Move until he fires, shoot until he reloads. Thats all. You should also think about splash damage and pray to dodge RNG unless you have Dodgemaster.
There is also reliable way to kill him damageless - just shoot him with BFG splashes while hiding behing pillar.
20/26 4/17
33/50

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 18:08 »

CornerBFG'ing FTW
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Ashannar

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Shottyhead Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 18:10 »

Isn't it difficult not to blow up the pillar with the BFG? It only has such a middling range...

Also, carrying enough plasma ammunition to do this, if your build isn't plasma friendly, seems a tad crippling. But I guess it could be worth it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 18:12 by Ashannar »
Hell Baron Major (0.9.9.7) 22 18 12 1 0 0

ParaSait

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 18:23 »

Missile launcher works too I guess.

edit: but basically the way I get cyberdemon's head, personally, is usually in a totally incidental manner when I'm on a dodgemaster build, where I just shoot him till he reloads, and successfully dodge his missiles every time. That's probably the best way, but cornershooting whenever you get the opportunity certainly can't hurt either.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 18:27 by ParaSait »

Radagast

• First Sergeant
  • Cogito ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 19:12 »

I actually prefer to kill him damageless with a cateye build which makes it too easy. The weapon choices don't matter that much. It can be bfg/plasma/rocket or whatever that can hit from big range as an elephant gun, it doesn't really matter.

The only true caveat is that you should try and have enough ammunition, plus as much speed as possible on the char (tactical boot & armor for instance and a HR trait or even more movement speed if possible) and perhaps an EE trait point or 2, to actually make hits from large distance. Easier done in AoMC ofc.

Supposedly Cyberdemon had a bigger sight range than the doomguy, but cateye with INT2 actually reverses the roles.

With the above requirements you just run around the level trying max distance shooting and running again. If you do it correctly then Cybie will never even manage to throw a rocket.
Done it twice or thrice till now, it does work at least in 0.996 it worked. I find that method even easier than dodgemaster but maybe it's just me.

Also, if you get cornered due to the layout and the positioning "run" to get away fast enough and raise the distance. Use medpacks for fatigue for more running if needed.

PS: It's obvious that antigravity boots, and/or phaseshift/malek's armor make the cyberdemon head (as well as the masterminds), a walk in the park with the above build.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 19:14 by Radagast »
[0.997G] Hell Baron, Lt. Colonel
SP:56/67, ASB:36/40, Medals: 28/43, Badges: 20|17|12|5|2|0
Games: 37 -- Wins: 0/2/3/5/0, best game so far: AoSh/UV/YAAM
Now trying: Arch-Vile/Colonel (11k kills, 150 melee kills, 3 Gold to get)

ParaSait

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 21:12 »

Oh and that reminds me, I just "earned" Mastermind's Brain because I was invincible. Heh. Like, if you really wanna get it the lucky-piece-o-schmuck way... jus' sayin :p

Rajhin

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 03:31 »

but cornershooting whenever you get the opportunity certainly can't hurt either.
Cornershooting isn't working AFAIR. Here I made a little picture about it, red circle represents BFG splash, orange circle - C's rocket splash. If you try to simple cornershoot him he will still blow you and your pylon because of his AI. Second variant is perfect, you will have enough time to  unload you bfg at target. Third variant is fine too, but pylon will be destroeyd very shortly.
20/26 4/17
33/50

Trar

• Backer
  • Sergeant
  • dsvilsit.wav
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 06:46 »

I find the best way to fight him (the few times I have beaten him anyway) is with Shottyman. Not having to stop to reload works wonders.
0.0.9.7: Former Human Lance Corporal
Pages: [1]