Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 13:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: Oh dragonslayer why do you taunt me  (Read 75021 times)

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
Re: Oh dragonslayer why do you taunt me
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2013, 23:49 »

Apparently, I have to amend my above comment.  I thought that DS can appear again in the same game only if you don't try to pick it up, but I just found it again, so scratch that theory!  :o  Hey Klear, Skarczew, start up an AAo666 game quick!  The RNG has declared it Dragonslayer day!  :D

Spoiler: Screenshot (click to show/hide)

Now I feel dumb that I threw the Berserker Armour away; I figured that since I wasn't going to be wielding DS, there was no point in keeping it around.  :(  (though, I might not be able to wear it anyway, since I'm wearing cursed Cybernano armour)  In any case, the rain seems to have abated outside, so maybe I'll continue puzzling over this for a while.  :P  And as an added bonus, the ingame music track that's playing is my favourite song in DoomRL, the one that plays on level 5 of hell.  :)  (I still have it set to play the midi files; I don't think there's an mp3 version of that song)

unless DS has abilities I'm entirely unaware of...

I'm not sure if you're trying to avoid spoilers, so I'll spoiler this next bit...

Still, this is all just my opinion; if you're fond of your Ammochain build, hey, whatever floats your boat! :)

...blocking my technician diamond this run(so is a complete lack of chainsaws - how do I get 3x DS and not a single chainsaw?)

Aha!  I guess I've been stealing your Chainsaws and you've been stealing our Dragonslayers!  In my game, I found two Chainsaws, one on level 17 and one on level 18!  :)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 23:51 by Tormuse »
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Equality

• Second Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2013, 01:18 »

not only Dragonslayer. I found 2 Subtle Knifes at one run. Seems "Unique" non an unique anymore.
Once advanced DoomRL player
Find mysterious sword Dragonslayer
Say "Best thing ever found!" and start jumping around...
But he can't get the sword from the ground

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2013, 02:34 »

By any chance, did you pick up the first one by (u)sing it from the ground?  Someone said that that might be a way of getting around the "uniqueness" of uniques.  (I tried (u)sing the DS in my game)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2013, 05:31 »

Hey Klear, Skarczew, start up an AAo666 game quick!  The RNG has declared it Dragonslayer day!  :D
Haha, nice!

There is one problem though: I cannot imagine not going for YAAM!
And it would take months to finish game the way I usually play ("lemme think... oh phone... now I can get back to it, where I was... oh, I have to finish sth first... alright, I think I am able to play doomrl now...).

;)

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2013, 05:38 »

I... I think I'm gonna start an Ao100 game at least. I once made a very rough (and maybe quite wrong) estimate that there's a 1 in 6 chance to find a DS on Ao100, so I'll give it a try. I'm not playing Ao666 until Centurial Angelic Badge seems to be the easiest achievable badge for me.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2013, 10:26 »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(response to spoiler tagged information above)

Oh well, if it's as good as you say, it's worth trying next time, especially if I'm not 25 yet... though I have not the slightest clue how to go about picking up. You asked if spoilers bothered me... no. I'm the guy who read all the ADOM guides possible trying to figure out how to get the cool hidden stuff there. I don't want a challenge, I just want to be godlike. That's probably why I was enjoying my existing build so much - nothing could kill me, short of my own massive stupidity, which is why I now have a chance to start over and grab a medal of prejudice this time.

If it's not considered too spoily, can someone who has picked it up at least indicate whether the conditions are something anyone can fulfill on any floor, or if they're such that if the right random circumstances aren't present(say, It involves a phase device or some such, and you're not carrying one, and there's not one on the level) you simply won't be able to achieve it?

One further question related to the forums: how do I elaborate on the text within tags like spoiler or hyperlink? I took a web design class ages ago, and can no longer remember how to include any additional text in there.
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31

IronBeer

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Carry on, citizen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2013, 12:24 »

If it's not considered too spoily, can someone who has picked it up at least indicate whether the conditions are something anyone can fulfill on any floor, or if they're such that if the right random circumstances aren't present(say, It involves a phase device or some such, and you're not carrying one, and there's not one on the level) you simply won't be able to achieve it?
You can meet the "primary" criteria with any character. However, the "secondary" condition(s) have shifted a bit from version to version, so you may need to hold on to a particular item, or have some RNG co-operation.
0.9.9.7 Mancubus 1st Lieutenant
[19/12/5/1/0]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2013, 12:39 »

If it's not considered too spoily, can someone who has picked it up at least indicate whether the conditions are something anyone can fulfill on any floor...

That's what people keep telling me...  It's supposed to be doable in any game with any build, but that makes it even more confusing to me, because there aren't that many different things you can do in the game!  :|

...so you may need to hold on to a particular item, or have some RNG co-operation.

Seriously?  So, I may be wasting my time trying to pick it up now?  :(  (I still have the game on my screen, trying to figure it out, also flipping through the Berserk Manga online in case it has clues to help me)

One further question related to the forums: how do I elaborate on the text within tags like spoiler or hyperlink? I took a web design class ages ago, and can no longer remember how to include any additional text in there.

You use the spoiler tag like you did above except that you make it say "spoiler=text" where "text" is what you want it to say.

Spoiler: like this. (click to show/hide)

To put a hyperlink in text you similarly say "URL=text" in the same way.

like this.

You can push the "Quote" button on my post to see how I did it.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 12:44 by Tormuse »
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2013, 14:23 »

Thanks - I should have just thought of quoting it in the first place, lol.

In light of the RNG intervention and holding a particular item comments, I'm wondering if maybe it's
Spoiler: this. (click to show/hide)
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2013, 14:38 »

VAGUE MODE: ACTIVATED

There are certain things you can do beforehand to make it much easier to fulfill the requirements, if you don't want to rely on luck.

VAGUE MODE: DEACTIVATED

I don't think it's terribly spoilerish since this information is available in some mortems on the forum, but spoilered anyways:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2013, 15:21 »

Your VAGUE MODE statement assumes one knows what the requirements are beforehand... without knowing, it's impossible to take such steps.

Also, by much easier, do you mean much more likely to be possible, or possible regardless, but somehow less difficult in terms of playing skill?

The last bit of your post makes me sad for this run, but ultimately it will be easier without that condition, I suppose.
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2013, 15:29 »

Aw, hell, that seems to suggest that there is something I should have done ahead of time that I may not have done...  Basically, I have no way of knowing whether or not I'm wasting my time here.  I think I'm gonna give up again this time around and try this again another day.  :|
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2013, 15:34 »

Yeah, that's why I find this whole taboo thing so ridiculous. I don't care about figuring it out myself. I care about picking up the goddamn Dragonslayer.

I do understand why some people would want to figure it out on their own, and don't want it spoiled... but as far as I'm concerned, someone could PM me how to do it and I'd be just fine.

On a (presumably) related note, is there some special combo involving the Berserker armor and Dragonslayer? Cause right now I'm considering finishing off my cybernano armor and forgetting about Bereserker, since its stats look awful... 0 armor, no high resistances, ridiculously slow, and permacursed.

Edit @ below: That wasn't my point at all. I'd like to pick it up... if I ever find it again. I just don't feel like stressing about it for hours, leaving the game running, trying all sorts of ridiculous things that probably aren't even close to what's actually required, and otherwise hating life, like so many people seem to be doing because of it =P
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 15:47 by Sereg »
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2013, 15:37 »

If you don't care about figuring it out yourself, just give up picking it up. It's no big deal.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

SageAcrin

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2013, 15:57 »

On a (presumably) related note, is there some special combo involving the Berserker armor and Dragonslayer? Cause right now I'm considering finishing off my cybernano armor and forgetting about Bereserker, since its stats look awful... 0 armor, no high resistances, ridiculously slow, and permacursed.

I have a vague idea from mortems, but I haven't confirmed it. (This isn't really spoilers, just go look at some mortems that have both equipped, and you'll probably guess what I mean.)

If I'm correct, from a strict gameplay standpoint, you're better off with the Cybernano.

(You can also use mortems for an idea on how to pick up Dragonslayer-it's how I got part of the patchwork theory I used to pick it up. The other part I may never have guessed, though...if it's even just one part. I need another one so I can experiment more; I've picked it up but I don't know exactly how, so listening to me might be a trap, even. :) )
Arch-Vile Brigadier General, 25|18|15|7|1|1 (0.9.9.7)
(10k enemies/65~ Cyberdemons from Cyberdemon, 1 Diamond from Mjr. General)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12