Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 14:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: Oh dragonslayer why do you taunt me  (Read 75026 times)

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
Re: Oh dragonslayer why do you taunt me
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2013, 11:43 »

@Sambojin, huh?  Is this a clue?  Or a reference to something I don't get?  Am I overthinking this?  :P
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Sambojin

• First Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2013, 16:19 »

Actually, it was theory and conjecture at 2:30am and drunk, the exact time when some things become very clear (often in a very fuzzy, hazy way).

I've never actually wielded DS so I don't know. I thought it may have to do with my last post and with a mix-and-mash of the struggle against hell (don't dance to hell's tune, ever), Berserk! (DS and never giving that last part of yourself away, no matter the rewards), and Poland's part in the east vs west conflict (well, everyone vs the USSR, except nobody but Poland did anything and then they got labelled poorly for it).

Yes, I was exactly that drunk. No, I have no idea what side I ended up thinking the daemons behind the wall were on, but only that they're not really any danger to you. It's you that is stealing their backpack.

Although, thinking about Berserk! (I'm vaguely familiar with the story) and thelaptop's ominous chuckle, has anyone tried dying on the square that DS is on? With nothing wielded? Didn't something vaguely similar happen in the story? ("Ouch! I've got nothing. Now I'm dead. Now I'm in hell. Now I'm pissed off. Now I've got a great big sword. Now I'm going to kick hell's arse." Very basic plot synopsis?)

Some combo off any of my now hungover rambling might work. I'll try them all out, possibly at once. I think I might be onto something here.

Ps. I'm terribly sorry if my theories get you killed. I'm trying to make them obtuse, just in case I'm right. I'll post a screenshot if I pick it up, but not how I picked the blasted thing up.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 16:48 by Sambojin »

Kristopher

• Supporter
  • Private FC
  • Kitkat
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2013, 21:45 »

Didn't something vaguely similar happen in the story? ("Ouch! I've got nothing. Now I'm dead. Now I'm in hell. Now I'm pissed off. Now I've got a great big sword. Now I'm going to kick hell's arse." Very basic plot synopsis?)

Not really, no, but I was thinking about the same thing (dying on the tile) earlier; it's just that there's not an especially great number of ways to do that after you've already cleared a level (unless there's barrels you can push to it nearby). After all, using the rocket launcher to kill yourself can't be a requirement since people have done it on Angel of <weapon restricting> challenge.

Really, I must just be unlucky since I haven't seen it in...geeze, a few versions now, probably. That's despite playing a bunch of standard games and several Ao100 runs. I wish I knew how to pick it up, but even if I did, I'd probably never find it again. Just my kind of luck. =P

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2013, 22:45 »

Although, thinking about Berserk! (I'm vaguely familiar with the story) and thelaptop's ominous chuckle, has anyone tried dying on the square that DS is on? With nothing wielded? Didn't something vaguely similar happen in the story? ("Ouch! I've got nothing. Now I'm dead. Now I'm in hell. Now I'm pissed off. Now I've got a great big sword. Now I'm going to kick hell's arse." Very basic plot synopsis?)

I seriously doubt that's it because it's possible to get a guaranteed DS in UC and other people have successfully picked that one up.  The guaranteed DS appears in the same spot the Longinus Spear would.  (I know because I got it to generate once)  At that point, there are no enemies or even any walls, so nothing to use to kill yourself on the DS square.

It's funny that you mention that, though, because I was just thinking the other day that it would make for a very clever and incredibly cruel requirement that the player Shift-Q quits while standing on it...  no one would ever dare try it.  :)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2013, 22:46 »

... a very clever and incredibly cruel requirement that the player Shift-Q quits while standing on it...
Now that's a thought!
I computed, therefore I was.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2013, 02:11 »

It's funny that you mention that, though, because I was just thinking the other day that it would make for a very clever and incredibly cruel requirement that the player Shift-Q quits while standing on it...  no one would ever dare try it.  :)

That's actually currently my only theory... and damn this thread, I don't want to read any more speculation. I'll have to stay clear of it.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Zalminen

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • The Good, The Bad & The Random
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2013, 04:09 »

I've seen DS only once. And that was before I even knew there's some trick to picking it up.
I saw the DS, couldn't pick it up and assumed I didn't have the correct traits and moved on. And only went to check the wiki after I'd finished the game.

Had I known DS was special, I'd have spent a lot more time trying to wield it...
Hell Baron Captain (0.9.9.6)
[25/19/9/0/0] m:25 sp:54 as:38

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2013, 10:28 »

Now that's a thought!
I agree, this is a great idea.

But please, fix other bugs first, as changing reqs is only a cherry on a cake :) .

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2013, 10:46 »

Sure, make it Shift-Q... that one I can do.

Whatever it is currently is so bizarre and esoteric that it hasn't even occurred to me, or it's something I've been incapable of doing due to lacking traits/items/level features/etc.

Unless it already is Shift-Q... can't say I tried that, though. Maybe next time.
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2013, 11:13 »

But please, fix other bugs first, as changing reqs is only a cherry on a cake :) .

Which part of "I fix the typos" do you not understand?  I have been doing that diligently.  I am not about to stomp through the Lua and Pascal sources as KK does his thing -- I don't have that amount of time to keep up with the changes in underlying architecture.

If this is an attempt to rile me up and make me angry, be forewarned that it is working.
I computed, therefore I was.

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2013, 11:41 »

Jimmy status: Rustled.

I think he was only kidding though, not actually criticizing you.
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2013, 13:14 »

So no for SHIFT+Q for DS pickup? :'(

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2013, 13:40 »

*Ahem*  I want to tread delicately here...  Without wishing to make anyone angry or speak for anyone here, I think Skarczew was directing his comment at the whole Devteam, not just you personally, Thelaptop.  He's not saying that you need to personally fix all the bugs, just saying that that's what needs to be the priority for the Devteam as a whole.  I think this is a reasonable request.  Do you disagree?  (Not trying to rile anyone; just trying to clarify intentions!)  :)  <--  look at the calming smiley face!

The Devteam is doing a good job and has made a terrific game that deserves to be commended.  Again, I don't want to anger anyone and I don't want to undermine the great work they have made on the game, but I think it is also worth noting that the previous version was released with a number of major bugs (Fireangel, Destroyer Diamond, etc.) and this version was very nearly released with a major bug that would have denied people a lot of badges that I thankfully caught at the last minute.  This bug came about because of an emphasis on adding new features over cleaning up existing problems.  This is not to say that the Devteam never fixes bugs; I'm just saying that Skarczew has a legitimate complaint.

I hope noone is angry about this post, but just in case, this should calm anyone down!  :D

EDIT:  Ooh!  666th post!  Ominous!  :o
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 14:31 by Tormuse »
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

Sambojin

• First Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 03, 2013, 16:36 »

Hey, I like the bugs. Some them anyway. Quite a few of them get promoted into core gameplay features, or just nice little quirks that makes DoomRL what it is. Considering I haven't seen a typo in a while (and I don't really proof-read roguelikes), you're doing a fine job thelaptop.

Anyway, I'm going for a "deals with the AM, no rockets and shift-Q'ing it" for my theory. Maybe not slaughtering out the wall as well. I tend to see the DS and BA a fair bit for some reason (about 10-20 times each since 0.9.9.1, which is a lot considering I don't really play much). Still haven't picked it up though.

Reasons for theory:
Berskerk!'s story (I really must re-read it), Dragonslayer being a type of multiple-rocket artillery as well as a big sword (you can have one and not the other) and the aforementioned sacrifice posts (I still don't know if the daemons behind the wall are allegorically Polish or commies. Maybe neither). Now I'll probably never see it again for a few versions.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 16:41 by Sambojin »

Equality

• Second Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2013, 22:36 »

damn... No, no Shift-Q.

All clues in game. Yes, I know now. I even try the both conditions, one of first thing that come to mind. But must satisfy 2 together.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

health may be any. 2%, 100%, 200%. Do not kill himself for that.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 22:39 by Equality »
Once advanced DoomRL player
Find mysterious sword Dragonslayer
Say "Best thing ever found!" and start jumping around...
But he can't get the sword from the ground
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12