Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 09:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Trouble with Anomaly? Rocket jump! Wait what?!  (Read 9416 times)

appuru

• Elder
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
Trouble with Anomaly? Rocket jump! Wait what?!
« on: March 29, 2013, 02:50 »

So I've been hearing about rocket jumping to skip the ambush portion of the anomaly, but I can't figure out just how you'e supposed to do it. Last time I tried it I was boosted and I think I rocket jumped with a green armor. I did this close to the trigger for the ambush and I just ran into the door.. woops

I figured next time I'll shoot some rockets to make sure the door at the other end of the room is open, but here's my question: is it possible to avoid activating the ambush by rocket jumping correctly?

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
Re: Trouble with Anomaly? Rocket jump! Wait what?!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 02:52 »

Don't think so - if you phase into the third chamber (ie between bruiser brothers and other inhabitants), it triggers the opening of the first walls as well...
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 02:53 »

Nope - the ambush triggers once you move _past_ certain column (see map on the wiki), not _onto_ certain column. The same goes for opening the wall to BBs, and phasing past that point opens the ambush as well (although phasing is just about the most probable way to do Anomaly damageless).
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

Evilpotatoe

• Backer
  • Major
  • Lost Soul corpse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 03:20 »

I usually open the door with bullets. Rockets can open severeal tiles of the wall, which probably makes things harder.
Also, you may prefer to jump back in the first room, with the health globes (I feel too claustrophobic for this)

Just trigger the walls before the jump. With one more move, you can usually get most demons near you at the time you rocket jump, it's pretty efficient.

EDIT : and no, I don't wear the red armor. I don't like having my movespeed and knockback reduced, and usually save the suit undamaged for moments where I'll be forced to wear it.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 03:49 by Evilpotatoe »
Badges - [26/26/26/22/9/2] - 42/43

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 03:44 »

And wear the conveniently provided red armour to further reduce the damage from the rocket jump.
BTW, I also prefer to jump back to the starting room. You won't have to open the doors AND you will be able to close them to let the situation calm down a little bit.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 03:45 by Klear »
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 09:07 »

EDIT : and no, I don't wear the red armor. I don't like having my movespeed and knockback reduced, and usually save the suit undamaged for moments where I'll be forced to wear it.

I'm pretty sure the red armour doesn't reduce knockback and the fire protection is typically enough to reduce the damage you take from the rocket jump to one, so I think it's helpful.

BTW, I also prefer to jump back to the starting room. You won't have to open the doors AND you will be able to close them to let the situation calm down a little bit.

^ This.
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

appuru

• Elder
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 11:12 »

Thanks for the replies! That explains a lot. I take it rocket jumping is fine when going for Gatekeeper badge? I'm not sure if "no damage" includes self-inflicted damage.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 11:16 »

Thanks for the replies! That explains a lot. I take it rocket jumping is fine when going for Gatekeeper badge? I'm not sure if "no damage" includes self-inflicted damage.

It does. For gatekeeper, you need either a lucky phase, or to run like hell.

Evilpotatoe

• Backer
  • Major
  • Lost Soul corpse
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 11:47 »

Damned, Tormuse is right... red armor doesn't reduce knockback !  I'm probably just too used to carrying cerberi armors... I would have sworn it was -20% or -25%
Anyway, I don't think I'll wear it much more now, but I should probably try, since it's precisely the purpose of this suit.

For gatekeeper, there's an alternative to the lucky phase device : the lucky invulnerability globe ! I say that coz I got gatekeeper diamond platinum on my first N! AoPc reaching the anomaly... didn't even know about it xD

Damn, I gotta learn to read not only about armor's knockback, but also badges :(
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 12:27 by Evilpotatoe »
Badges - [26/26/26/22/9/2] - 42/43

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 12:19 »

For gatekeeper, there's an alternative to the lucky phase device : the lucky invulnerability globe ! I say that coz I got gatekeeper diamond on my first N! AoPc reaching the anomaly... didn't even know about it xD

Oh yeah... me too actually, though that's platinum. You need to clear both anomaly and tower of babel UV to get diamond.

Radagast

• First Sergeant
  • Cogito ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 12:36 »

Did it recently: (well on UV I mean)
http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php/topic,6207.0.html

Unfortunately you do need a phase to succeed in damageless anomaly run.

And as for rocket jumps usually I take 5 to 20 dmg. It's kinda random. Red armor does help to lessen the dmg as has been mentioned.
And I usually jump to the right having destroyed the door beforehand. You get 1 tile extra movement that's why I prefer it. You see you are closer to the right door than to the left when you trigger the mass spawns.
It doesn't matter much though since the rocket jump literally throws you miles away.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 12:37 by Radagast »
[0.997G] Hell Baron, Lt. Colonel
SP:56/67, ASB:36/40, Medals: 28/43, Badges: 20|17|12|5|2|0
Games: 37 -- Wins: 0/2/3/5/0, best game so far: AoSh/UV/YAAM
Now trying: Arch-Vile/Colonel (11k kills, 150 melee kills, 3 Gold to get)

Ashannar

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Shottyhead Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 13:09 »

You know, I always preferred to jump back to the first room, but lately I discovered jumping to the other door is way better. It's closer — you're guaranteed to actually get past the door. Going the way you came, you can get swarmed again before you get to the doorway.

Remember that you can close the door and the stuff that is in there (in most difficulties, anyway) can't open it back up. So you shouldn't need access to the health globes anyway. (As long as you open the far door with bullets, you'll be able to close it again later. Don't use rockets. :) )
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 13:12 by Ashannar »
Hell Baron Major (0.9.9.7) 22 18 12 1 0 0

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 13:13 »

You know, I always preferred to jump back to the first room, but lately I discovered jumping to the other door is way better. It's closer — you're guaranteed to actually get past the door. Going the way you came, you can get swarmed again before you get to the doorway.

Remember that you can close the door and the stuff that is in there (in most difficulties, anyway) can't open it back up. So you shouldn't need access to the health globes anyway.

You can't close the door if you shoot it open, and if you don't, opening it manually takes precious time.

Anyway, I know that with enough levels of hellrunner and agility mods, it's in fact possible to outrun the ambushing lost souls. I did it routinely on AoHu, though the hpaseshift armour from Hell's Arena helped a lot there.

Ashannar

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Shottyhead Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 13:22 »

Are you absolutely sure about the door thing? I'm almost positive I've done it since 0.9.9.7. I'll have to test it some more. Come to think of it, I may just be confusing runs I've used a phase with runs I've rocket jumped. Don't mind my idiocy. :P
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 13:26 by Ashannar »
Hell Baron Major (0.9.9.7) 22 18 12 1 0 0

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 15:01 »

About getting Gatekeeper diamond:
Getting phaseshift armor from arena on AoHu, taking HR and wearing tac boots gets you enough speed to simply outrun initial ambush. After that it's quite easy. Though in the end i never got to Cybie, so no diamond for me.
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]
Pages: [1] 2  All