Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 03:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: 1899 - Under the Sign of the Lock and Feather  (Read 43065 times)

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
Re: 1899 - Under the Sign of the Lock and Feather
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 15:34 »

Fixed by adding "Knowledge: Exotic animals 1". Seems logical, but I'm not entirely satisfied with it because a) it feels a bit too specific compared to other skills. Might be better suited as a special, b) I couldn't come up with a better sounding name for it =P

Read up on Frank. Heh... I can already see quite a few very different ways his interactions with Hugo can play out. Should prove interesting.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 12:57 »

In regard to the layout of the story text once we get started, I'd like to see the following:

1) Each player picks his own color, which is easy enough to read. All in-game text is to appear in this colour.
2) Everything you're character says (or thinks) is colourless, but italic
3) All out-of game information is without additional formatting.

A short example in the Storyteller's green:

When I see the suspect fleeing the scene of the deal, I bark at the Sergeant "Get the goods!" while I start the chase - but I have a feeling I know where he's going: using my knowledge of the city streets, I take another route to the nearest Tube entrance...
If it comes to a test, I'll spend a point of Willpower for the effort the Inspector is putting in beating the culprit to the stairs.

[/example]

Unless any of the current players have huge problems with this, I declare it accepted by default.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2013, 00:23 »

@Klear: as partly discussed, I suggest the following finishing touches for Hugo:

• Choose one of the three basic alchemical causes (Alkahest/Panacea/Philosopher's Stone) as your specialty for that skill
  • Replace 'Knowledge: Exotic animals' by 'Guild Lore', to reflect the fact that you've been in multiple jobs which have been part of some Guild or other.
  • Your blessing consists of the following (which would be called Merits in the nWOD system): Contacts - Circus 1, Contacts - Pugilism 1, Contacts - Nightlife 2, Contacts - Innkeepers' Guild 1, Mentor 1, Resources 1

Your blessing reflects the fact that you quickly become known within whatever circle you find yourself - not only due to your impressive physique, but also because of the friendly and outgoing personality that lies behind it - which makes obtaining information easier. Whenever you need to know more about a certain subject which touches upon one of your areas of influence, Contacts can be used to try and find out; it'll take up some game time naturally, and some of it may have to be played, but eventually it will result in a dice roll to which your Contact level is added as a bonus.
The Mentor merit indicates your low-level Alchemist patron, who considers you more a helping hand and test subject than a potential Alchemist; he'll occasionally give you scraps of 'real' alchemy to keep you satisfied though.
Additionally, you have the Resources merit to reflect the fact that you have a proper job with a proper, albeit very low, income. This job comes with a membership in the Innkeepers' Guild.

The final finishing touches on your part will be determining how old Hugo is, and where he lives - not the exact location, but at what sort of accomodations.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 07:12 by LuckyDee »

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2013, 07:46 »

Updated my character information. Seems like I'm ready to start.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2013, 08:29 »

Eeeexcellent. I just heard my secret weapon's gearing up to start character creation as well. Time to cook up a story, methinks..

Esther

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2013, 09:14 »

So we meet again, hehehehe.

Esther

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2013, 10:11 »

Posted my character. Might have to change some thing but this is the basic stuff. Feedback is wanted!

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2013, 10:31 »

Crafts is a physical thing, not mental. Since Athletics
3 seems at least 2 points too high - unless you have a fabulous story - you can use that to compensate. Same goes for Stealth, for which I think 2 is a more feasible rating.

This leaves you without Mental skills, facing the same problem Klear had. Lemme ponder that for a bit. Any ideas on what your little 'problem' might entail?

Esther

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2013, 11:03 »

Took my information from world of darkness skills and specialties. Crafts was under Mental?????

MENTAL
Academics
Anthropology, Art, English, History, Law, Religion, Research, Culture, Geography, Humanities, Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology, Economics
Computer
A.I., Data Retrieval, Graphics, Internet, Programming, Virus’, Networking, Computer Engineering
Crafts
Autos, Aircraft, Forging, Jury-Rig, Sculpting, Sewing, Metal Smithing, Armor Smithing, Gun Smithing, Weapon Smithing, Computer Hardware, HVAC, Carpentry, Bricklaying, Pottery, Cooking, Fletching/Bowery, Carving
Investigation
Artifacts, Body Language, Crime Scenes, Cryptography, Autopsies, Puzzles, Riddles, Science Experiments
Medicine
Emergency Care, Pathology, Pharmaceuticals, Physical Therapy, Surgery, Anesthesiology, Neurology, Pediatric, Ob/Gyn
Occult
Cultural Beliefs, Ghosts, Magic, Monsters, Superstitions, Witchcraft, Gypsies, Fortune Telling, Paganism, Theomancy, Alchemy
Politics
Bribery, Elections, Federal, Local, State, Scandals, Lobbyists
Science
Biology, Chemistry, Geology, Metallurgy, Physics, Statistics, Civil Engineer
PHYSICAL
Athletics
Acrobatics, Climbing, Kayaking, Long Distance Running, Sprinting, Swimming, Throwing, Jumping, Bicycling, Skateboarding, Surfing, Skiing, Hang-Gliding, Hiking
Brawl
Blocking, Boxing, Dirty Tricks, Grappling, Kung Fu, Throws
Drive
High Performance, Motorcycles, Off-Road, Pursuit, Shacking Tails, Stunts, Aircraft Pilot, Small Fixed Wing Pilot, Fighter Jet Pilot, Cargo/Airliner Pilot, Glider Pilot, Helicopter Pilot, Speedboat Driver, Small Sailboat Pilot, Boat Pilot
Firearms
Auto-Fire, Bow, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Sniping, Trick Shot, Revolver, SMG, Cross-Bow
Larceny
Concealing, Lock-Picking, Pick-Pocketing, Security Systems, Safecracking
Stealth
Camouflage, Crowds, Darkness, Woods
Survival
Foraging, Navigation, Meteorology, Shelter, Tracking, Hunting, Camping, Woodland, Arctic, Desert, Mountains, Jungle, Ocean/Shipwrecked, Fishing, Fly-Fishing, Deep-Sea Fishing
Weaponry
Improvised Weapons, Knives, Swords, Fencing, Single Weapon, Two-Handed Weapons, Weapon/Shield Style, Two Weapon Style, Axes, Clubs, Flails, Pole Arms, Whips, Staves
SOCIAL
Animal Ken
Animal Needs, Imminent Attack, Training, Dogs, Large Cats, Bears, Small Wild Carnivores, Sheep Herding, Cattle Wrangling, Horses, Camels, Milk Cows, Rats, Ferrets/Minks, Donkeys/Mules, Racing Horses, Trick Horses, Greyhounds, Fighting Dogs, Fighting Roosters, Guard Dogs, Hunting Dogs, Circus Animals, Zoo Keeping, Apes, Boxing Kangaroos
Empathy
Emotions, Lies, Motives, Personalities, Body Language
Expression
Classical Dance, Drama, Exposes, News Articles, Speech, Guitar, Drums, Drum Circle, Saxophone, Trumpet, Jazz, Rock, Punk, Country, Bluegrass, Blues, Cover Band, Pop Rock, Piano, Synthesizer, Techno, Mixing, Rap, R&B
Intimidation
Bluster, Physical Threats, Stare-Down, Torture, Veiled Threats
Persuasion
Fast-Talk, Inspiring Troops, Motivational Speech, Sales Pitch, Seduction
Socialize
Bar Hopping, Dress Balls, Formal Events, Frat Parties, State Dinner
Streetwise
Black Market, Gangs, Rumors, Under Cover
Subterfuge
Con Jobs, Hiding Emotions, Lying, Misdirection, Spotting Lies, Disguise

Esther

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2013, 11:20 »

Based on my litlle problem I thought that Athletics (climbing) would be possible. My problem would be an advantage there. But I guess three is a bit much. Maybe two in just climbing???
Steath I thought was what kept her alive for three years wandering around. She would have had lots of time to practice. But I guess two will do fine.

Just keep crafts as mental. The things listed under it do take more knowledge than physical ability, me thinks....
For me you can even divide the 4 points on sewing 2, cooking 1 and carving 1

I'll look into my physical skills and spent those two points in a different way.

Esther

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2013, 11:32 »

Do I need points in Weaponery  because of my problem????
I'll spent the two or three points left on that then.
I'm going with the FC option I mentioned to you before. She has been using it a lot to survive, so she knows how to use this by now.

Carving I'm going to abandon, rather be a good cook ;)

Any free bees or things I did not think of?????

Esther

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2013, 11:39 »

@Klear

Under Animal Ken it says Circus Animal. That's different from taking care of wild exotic animals I guess. Maybe that's what you are looking for?

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2013, 11:52 »

My word, Crafts is listed as Mental. Must be confused with another set of rules. Anywho:

1) Sewing and Cooking as Mental skills are acceptable. Consider scratching both and listing Housekeeping as a Mental skill, for 2 or 3 points.
2) I had to look this one up, but for your 'problem' I think it's safe to assume you're referring to the thing with your hands. Weaponry isn't relevant, Climbing (or Athletics with specialty Climbing, for example) only if you can explain what you used this for in the first place.
3) Survival (and probably Larceny) are what kept you alive, more than Stealth did anyway. Make it 2, indeed.

Additionally:
4) You still get to pick 3 skill specialties.
5) I only just now noticed Subterfuge 3. This level of deceit is hard to attain for a 15 year old that doesn't talk.... Combined with the Larceny, I think Streetwise for 1 or 2 points would make more sense, with Subterfuge taking the other 1 (or 2).

Esther

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2013, 13:10 »

I picked Subterfuge because she's a master at hiding her emotions and spotting lies. Streetwise in this case is knowledge of what's going on in the streets of London. Don't see her taking much part in it. So I choose to keep Subterfuge at 2 and Streetwise just 1.

Still don't know what to spend the left over 2 dots Mental on.
Maybe herb lore? Common knowledge type for a rural environment?

And the three Physical Dots??? She has been in trouble and had to fight for her live a lot. Maybe brawl would be okay, kinda dirty tricks style......
Yet I don't think you would give me three dots Brawl ;) Maybe 2?
Maybe she knows how to swim? One dot?

Klear has Carpentry listed under Fysical but it's a craft, so it should be Mental.

Specialties:
Think I'll go for climbing, pick-pocketing and lock-picking
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 13:12 by Esther »

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2013, 15:42 »

Hi Esther! Long time no see.

Maybe that's why I listed carpentry both as physical and mental? =)

I'd rather not touch my character sheet anymore unless I really have to. It looks fine the way it is. The way I see it, skills such as carpentry can be thought of as either mental (knowing what to do with the stuff you're working with) or physical (being used to the movements you need to do to use the skill).

Edit: Read up on Josephine. Interesting backstory. So I suppose we've known each other for a while, being employed at the same place. Hugo's definitely gonna be quite protective when it comes to her. BTW, thelaptop, what's Frank's connection with Lock and Feather? A regular customer? And if so, I hope not the kind Hugo would have to kick out too often =P
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 15:47 by Klear »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7