Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 13:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Corner shooting oddities  (Read 8365 times)

Ashannar

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Shottyhead Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Corner shooting oddities
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 21:07 »

Not counting AIs that will blindfire you like cybie, I only know of this happening in some uncommon but not unheard of scenarios involving multiple doors and shotguns.  We tried to fix it once :/

It's not just shotguns. It's everything. You're right that it only seems to happen through doorways, but it can happen through a single door. An easy way to test this is to open the leftmost door in the Military Base and corner shoot from it. You'll get shot at by former humans you cannot see.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 21:13 by Ashannar »
Hell Baron Major (0.9.9.7) 22 18 12 1 0 0

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 21:32 »

It's not just shotguns. It's everything. You're right that it only seems to happen through doorways, but it can happen through a single door. An easy way to test this is to open the leftmost door in the Military Base and corner shoot from it. You'll get shot at by former humans you cannot see.

Single door case:
It's most common when an enemy is positioned right inside of an open door and the player is a few steps away from the door. Player LOS get's stopped at the door but the enemy is not.
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

Solarn

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 01:00 »

...And don't forget about Radar-shooting (using weapons with ranges further than your LOS to scout/kill enemies)
That's only really useful with a shotgun with a focused or normal blast though and it can backfire horribly if there's an enemy just outside your LOS.

errol

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 13:00 »

I radarshoot with shotguns constantly in my games.  The only real downside is hitting barrels and destroying items, and it's not enough of one to stop.

I mean, this is the entirety of hell's arena. Radar shoot around until you find a cacodemon or baron, drag it to a corner, and cornershoot it to death. Really, I do the same thing for the whole game up until the enemies start becoming easy/run low on shells/etc. Build doesn't matter, actually, I do this on every build. Melee, Pistol, Shotgun, Chaingun. It seems to be the optimal strategy to me.  I guess I don't really consider corner shooting or radar shooting to be what makes DoomRL unique. What I thought made it unique when I first started playing was the music, the sound effects, the weapons (almost all ranged), the class and trait system, mods/assembles, special levels, saved data between games (schematics, medals), etc.   There's a whole lot that is unique about this game.

I would rather than corner shooting have something more intuitive (as opposed to having a tutorial to explain it) or explicit. I think corner shooting is less interesting because almost all the time it's a no-brainer to do it. Just the math on how long it takes to get to a corner, how likely you are to get hit in getting to the corner, and how long it will take you to kill the enemy leads to me heading for the corner. I don't know what exactly might be nice to have instead. I agree that you can't just remove it, because there needs to be some form of strategy in the game. Maybe if enemies with ranged attacks that could blow up walls would attack the corner. Or maybe just something to even out fighting without a corner a bit. Reloading while moving? Another thought that interests me on LOS is non-radial LOS. it was an FPS, maybe you could only see in a cone.

Solarn

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 13:46 »

Yes, and if this was an FPS you could dodge the enemies' shots in real time instead of having to wait your turn. The advantages and disadvantages of each format balance out.
Pages: 1 [2]  All