Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 12:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Poll: which medals can we do without?  (Read 17718 times)

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
Poll: which medals can we do without?
« on: April 08, 2013, 13:08 »

Inspired by another discussion about medals, and having had doubts about certain medals before, I'd thought I might as well set up a poll about it. I've selected the 10 medals I have least confidence in, and some of you will likely sooner see others disappear, but hey, it's my poll.

A bit of background as to why these 10:
Cyberdemon's Head + Mastermind's Brain: I have earned a combined total of 8 of these in 20 games, 7 of which due to invulnerability. One lucky sphere - which is actually pretty common - and you're there. Hell, you get a free Mastermind's Brain with every full win.

Gambler's Shield
: Is this actually possible? I don't believe I've ever seen a non-A100 game with this many levers in it, let alone I felt lucky/stupid enough to pull them all.

Gutts' Heart+Grammaton Cleric Cross: Being able to lift the DS should be worth a medal in itself; slaying the Mastermind with it would be the only logical result, I guess. Shooting (not even killing?) the MM with the GCB is only a matter of actually finding a GCB in a standard game (the only 2 I ever found were on A100), too arbitrary.

Thomas's Medal+Every Soldier's Medal+Spider Killer's Cross: Earning the first nearly automatically means earning the other 2 as well - at least it used to on 0996. Now it's only a matter of lucky level spawns. And besides that, it's kinda insane. Spider Killer could be done with a lucky invulnerability - I did the Spider's Lair on AoMC today thanks to exactly that - most other levels.....*shudders.

Iron Skull: blegh. No further explanation needed.

Hell Arena Pwnage Medal: Come on. The Arena on N! is enough of a challenge as is. Not suffering damage whilst trying to get shot in order to destroy corpses... nuff said.

These are my poorly phrased opinions, feel free to disagree. With all the creativity floating around the forum, though, I think we can come up with some better medals than these.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 14:22 by LuckyDee »
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Poll: which medals can we do without?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 13:24 »

Gambler's shield.  Definitely.

The dragon slayer reference really makes me want to comment, but I'm obliged to keep my mouth shut :(

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 13:33 »

The head & brain requirements should be altered so it becomes without getting HIT, regardless of damage, and no bomb.
Gambler's shield needs to be less demanding. Levers also need to be less risky. :P (seriously, who in in his right mind EVER uses levers without intuition?)
Iron skull should be less demanding too.
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

White Rider

• Elder
  • Captain
  • Doesn't play much
    • View Profile
    • My Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 13:36 »

I voted Gambler's Shield and Iron Skull.

I guess the point of Gambler's Shield is to pull random levers, which is kinda subverted if you have one point into Intuition, since you know the effects of the random levers that you're randomly pulling.

Iron Skull seems like a grind to get, and funnily enough, you can't get it in the modes where the game turns into a grind. (Ao100/Ar666)

Also, I've gotten Cyberdemon's Head and Mastermind's Brain without invulnerability, in the form of Gunrunner + Missile Launcher for Cybie, and Gunrunner + Super Shotgun for Mastermind. I've only gotten Shambler's Head once though, and it was straight-up luck...though Gunrunner may have been involved. Don't remember.
0.9.9.6: 10d 15h Arch-Vile Major; 6/6/2012 - 3/15/2013
0.9.9.7: 12d 9h Cyberdemon Br. General; 3/19/2013 - ?
V: 31 (5P 17S 9F) M: 32 I: 66 A: 40 | 26 24 19 8 1 0

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 13:42 »

Hmm.. I voted Iron Skull since that's something that's never going to happen on accident. Pulling levers is FUN, and with the new special levels, I think there might be plenty of space to get 25, though maybe I'm wrong.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 13:43 »

Iron Skull. There's only one way to achieve it and it's extremely boring.
Getting gambler's shield requires either abusing or boring counting.
I see no problem in other badges.
Well, HA Pwnage is hard to get (i still don't have it), but why not?
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

Rajhin

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 13:47 »

Srsly guys, I was the only one who voted for Gutt's heart? You need to spawn DS (and that is... difficult), wield it and then go not for A, but for poor SM? It doesn't have any sense.
GCB cross\Gambler shield is just for random. Nothing interesting or challenging.

20/26 4/17
33/50

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 14:00 »

To go for A, you also need BA. Oh, and you also need random nuke. Remember that you can't overload anything if you got DS. And if you're talking about guaranteed DS&BA - people who can pull this thing off can do it again.

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 14:15 »

Remember that you can't overload anything if you got DS.
:o I never thought about that before.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 14:31 »

The dragon slayer reference really makes me want to comment, but I'm obliged to keep my mouth shut :(

Good, although it annoys me not being able to wield DS, this is the one thing I wouldn't want spoiled. But my point is: killing MM with the DS pales in comparison to being able to wield it (unless there's some other secret I'm totally missing, but then I wouldn't know that).

Well, HA Pwnage is hard to get (i still don't have it), but why not?

'Hard to get' is a bit of an understatement I guess. And there's difficult badges and medals aplenty. The point of my inclusion is that, as with Iron Skull, this medal makes an entire game hang on just 1 little point (luckily on dlev2 instead of halfway through the game, but still): you enter the Arena and
1) you get hit and start again
2) you don't get hit, clear the Arena and the rest of the run is pointless. Personally, I'd jump into the nearest pool of lava and get it over with just to make sure my computer doesn't crash and lose my medal. But that's because what I named '2)' is more likely to be '2153)', with attempts 1 through 2152 having failed.
It's just no fun, same as Iron Skull.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 14:41 »

'Hard to get' is a bit of an understatement I guess. And there's difficult badges and medals aplenty. The point of my inclusion is that, as with Iron Skull, this medal makes an entire game hang on just 1 little point (luckily on dlev2 instead of halfway through the game, but still): you enter the Arena and
1) you get hit and start again
2) you don't get hit, clear the Arena and the rest of the run is pointless. Personally, I'd jump into the nearest pool of lava and get it over with just to make sure my computer doesn't crash and lose my medal. But that's because what I named '2)' is more likely to be '2153)', with attempts 1 through 2152 having failed.
It's just no fun, same as Iron Skull.

Would you believe I got this medal while going for something completely different? Edit: And we're talking about a medal which, when I learned what it is for, I had to look up a youtube video demonstrating it or I wouldn't have believed it can be done.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 14:42 by Klear »
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 14:42 »

Well, it's definitely not pointless if you aim for DS in UC or one of low/no-damage badges. Also your logic could be applied to any badge that doesn't require you to win - but it's not like you need to suicide after that immediately.
And the fact that there's plent of difficult badges doesn't mean that number of them should be limited.
Iron Skull unlike HA Pwnge requires no skill.

Evilpotatoe

• Backer
  • Major
  • Lost Soul corpse
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 14:55 »

Voted shield & skull coz it's only luck & unskill reward (you're not supposed to try to max damages taken -.-) I guess MvM + pain elemental is the only serious "strategy" to get this crap, so, I'll just never get it.

Also voted against GCB cross, since I got it on one of my first games (completely randomly) and won't get it anymore.
I'm sure I could get it easily with a nuke, though... but why not a medal for killing the mastermind with a napalm launcher or the mega blaster ?

AoHu medals don't seem too useful to me either, since they are too redudant.

Gutt's heart ? Well, I'd rather remove (or document) the dragonslayer itself. I don't see the point of such "mysteries".

Fully agree with the idea to change how head & brain work. Currently, we get most of them through invulnerability globes, they aren't relevant.

Hell's arena pwnage medal is the only one I love among thoses. I don't remember if I manage to get it outside of AoMC (which is so lame...), but it really needs playing carefully.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 14:59 by Evilpotatoe »
Badges - [26/26/26/22/9/2] - 42/43

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 00:27 »

And the fact that there's plent of difficult badges doesn't mean that number of them should be limited.

No argument there - although for slow learners like myself, some of them (like HA Pwnage) seem too daunting. For the record, I voted for Gambler's Shield, Iron Skull and GC Cross, because there is indeed no skill involved in winning them.

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 00:41 »

I like shinies - no vote from me!

I don't see any problem with measuring the weird and wild. I guess it would annoy people with the completionist OCD, but arguing about irrelevant medals seems...irrelevant.

I won't get more than 30 medals ever, but seeing 30/32 or 30/48 feels the same to me. I got 30! woohoo!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 00:42 by MaiZure »
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]
Pages: [1] 2 3 4