Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 06:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Poll: which medals can we do without?  (Read 17708 times)

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
Re: Poll: which medals can we do without?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 00:46 »

I guess it would annoy people with the completionist OCD

Erm... eh... that's to say... hehehe :S
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Fanta Hege

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Will it work? I HAVE NO IDEA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 01:09 »

Honestly speaking Gut's hearth is probably the only one I feel bit "eh" about
Killing mastermind is nothing compared to actually weilding the damn thing. You'll kill the thing if you get it up in a regular game 99% surely.

Iron skull might look like bit too demanding at first, but honestly speaking, as I've actually been trying to get this medal for a while now, will have to say that I wouldn't mind if its recruitment was lowered but I dont really see a need to remove it.
Forcing yourself through soaking all of the damage is a fun little challenge, though a real bitch when you get to deimos.

Gambler shield I could maybe agree on as pulling 25 in one game is really unlikely, unless it counts special level levers? I don't actually know I've never tried this badge so its hard to take a stance for it. It is just one of those medals that might have too high recruitment
i dont even know anymore

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 04:07 »

Gambler shield I could maybe agree on as pulling 25 in one game is really unlikely, unless it counts special level levers? I don't actually know I've never tried this badge so its hard to take a stance for it. It is just one of those medals that might have too high recruitment

It does. Chained court has 3, Phobos Lab two, I think, Deimos Lab a whopping 6, City of Skulls has one, and Dis has two, though the second one might get removed once you open the arena, I'm not sure. With these levels you have 14 already, which leaves 11 for the rest of the game if you're lucky with special levels.

Oh, and health, armour, or enemy spawning levers can give you up to 3 pulls. It's not that hard to get, if you plan your game around it. You should definitely get Intuition and some sort of perfect foot protection, so you can pull the ones that flood the whole level. I did it the hard way in 996, I believe, and there was a lot less guaranteed levers in the special levels.

Hmm... I think I'll try to get this badge when I get home, just to prove it's not hard to get =)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 04:09 by Klear »
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Radagast

• First Sergeant
  • Cogito ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 04:13 »

Gambler's shield is actually bugged and I got it by mistake in my first full run afair.
I just kept pressing the lever in Dis I think, cause I thought something might happen.
Was a cateye run, so I had used many levers in other levels as well. I'm pretty sure it would be more difficult without this "accident" btw, which seems like an exploit now that I think about it.

Anyway voted for iron skull obviously. It's too much of a "silly" strategicless grind if you ask me. Bored to do it. Like hell.
Guts heart is kinda silly as well since that weapon is uber hard to find anyway. Many of us have never even managed to encounter it in our runs.
[0.997G] Hell Baron, Lt. Colonel
SP:56/67, ASB:36/40, Medals: 28/43, Badges: 20|17|12|5|2|0
Games: 37 -- Wins: 0/2/3/5/0, best game so far: AoSh/UV/YAAM
Now trying: Arch-Vile/Colonel (11k kills, 150 melee kills, 3 Gold to get)

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2013, 04:23 »

Yeah, there was a bug which allowed you to press the levers in Dis and the one in Hell's Armoury as long as you wanted and it counted. It's been fixed AFAIK, though.

Radagast

• First Sergeant
  • Cogito ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2013, 04:28 »

A ok, I didn't know it was fixed in latest version missed that.

Also wanted to mention that Cyberdemon and Mastermind brains are quite easy to get and also exploitable. IMO there should be strict rules to get these such as:

All of the following conditions must be met to get the boss medals:
  • Getting 0 damage in the level.
  • Never being "hit" by the Boss. Immunity is irrelevant for this.
  • Nukes prevent getting the medal.

In one sentence:
COMPLETE the level without nukes, without getting hit or damaged.

Finally for the GCB make the medal so that:
You have to kill the Spider mastermind by ONLY using the GCB beretta. No other weapons.
There, fixed. Now that's better.

This will make the medals actually somewhat challenging.
Now they are more of a cakewalk. xD
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 04:35 by Radagast »
[0.997G] Hell Baron, Lt. Colonel
SP:56/67, ASB:36/40, Medals: 28/43, Badges: 20|17|12|5|2|0
Games: 37 -- Wins: 0/2/3/5/0, best game so far: AoSh/UV/YAAM
Now trying: Arch-Vile/Colonel (11k kills, 150 melee kills, 3 Gold to get)

SageAcrin

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2013, 09:19 »

No option for Fallout Gold/Platinum? The medals that literally exist to show the world that you got really lucky and got to skip a whole lot of floors?

:(

Voted for Gutt's Heart/Iron Skull/Gambler's Shield. Gambler's Shield requires you to play negatively on purpose(not judging the switches, just randomly mashing them) and since mashing switches randomly can kill you randomly, but probably won't, this is less hard and more RNG. Iron Skull requires specific build boring degenerate play, from what I've heard.

Gutt's Heart...I'm not as fretted about Dragonslayer as some people. But simply getting Dragonslayer, and being able to equip it, probably means you're going to clear on whatever difficulty you're on, given the range of floors it can appear at and how powerful it is. That's not really something that needs a medal, and Dragonslayer wearers already get the entry in their uniques anyways to note that they did it. (And there's another medal related to Dragonslayer, I think.) So ehn, seems kinda trite. At least Cleric Cross means you may have had to swap to a pistol to finish off Mastermind, which is at least a little annoying...
Arch-Vile Brigadier General, 25|18|15|7|1|1 (0.9.9.7)
(10k enemies/65~ Cyberdemons from Cyberdemon, 1 Diamond from Mjr. General)

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 09:22 »

That's not really something that needs a medal, and Dragonslayer wearers already get the entry in their uniques anyways to note that they did it.

I heard you get an entry to the uniques list even if you just try to wield it without success.

And the fallout crosses? We need one for nuking 15 levels, that's for sure =P

Rajhin

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2013, 09:26 »

I heard you get an entry to the uniques list even if you just try to wield it without success.
It worked that way in .996.
20/26 4/17
33/50

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2013, 10:05 »

No-one better have voted for my goddamn-

oh hey, cool

Iron Skull sucks, I proposed the idea without really knowing how much damage I normally take in my runs and figured "10000 is probably a good estimate for a clumsy Vampyre AoB 100%" when it was really closer to 3000 or so.

(my original proposal for Untouchables was also high - Kornel changed 1000/600/300 to 500/200/50)

Gutts' Heart is stupid. The Dragonslayer still curses on equip, right? So once you pick it up you literally cannot avoid getting this medal (well, you could die, but death is very easy to avoid when you have such a powerful weapon)

Hell Arena Pwnage is a pet peeve of mine. I really don't like playing Nightmare! for 90%+ kills, let alone actually trying to clear something completely. Without taking damage.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2013, 11:35 »

No-one better have voted for my goddamn-

Yeah, sorry bout that :)

No option for Fallout Gold/Platinum?

Hadn't given them that much thought. In hindsight, they are indeed luck based all the way, but less 'flip-a-coin' than GC Cross, Cyberdemon's Head or Mastermind's Brain (yes I realize the latter two can be done purely on gameplay as well, but like I said, chances that you find that 1 lucky Invul are just too high - up to 6 lucky invuls or perfectly placed stairs + a trigun or a small herd of nukes is a different story already).

That is so 0996. No seriously, I ran into DS a couple of runs back and it didn't register. Dangdest.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

White Rider

• Elder
  • Captain
  • Doesn't play much
    • View Profile
    • My Steam Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2013, 13:05 »

Has anyone ever wielded the Dragonslayer and died before getting to Mastermind?
I think I have as much of an issue (for the lack of a better word) with Gutt's Heart as I do with the GC Cross, as they're both "find an item and kill the 'last' boss with it". Though in contrast, I quite like Malicious Knives Cross/Sunrise Iron Fist/"YAAM on some challenge" badge, since those require a different style of play, and maybe even use one or two weapons (or no weapons!).

Maybe we should have a medal that requires having a certain percentage of kills that you weren't the direct cause of...

No option for Fallout Gold/Platinum?

I'd say the only reliable way to get Fallout Gold/Platinum is the Trigun early enough, knowing what the Angel Arm does, and knowing how to survive it. It's certainly more reliable than waiting for the RNG gods to hand you nukes.
After that it's a matter of asking yourself, "Do I want to explode a chunk of the Phobos Base, and possibly miss out on heals, mod packs, ammo, armors...all of which I won't need--but get a floor's worth of EXP for a measly 5 maxHP? And then repeat this for some shinies on my player profile?"
0.9.9.6: 10d 15h Arch-Vile Major; 6/6/2012 - 3/15/2013
0.9.9.7: 12d 9h Cyberdemon Br. General; 3/19/2013 - ?
V: 31 (5P 17S 9F) M: 32 I: 66 A: 40 | 26 24 19 8 1 0

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2013, 13:14 »

After that it's a matter of asking yourself, "Do I want to explode a chunk of the Phobos Base, and possibly miss out on heals, mod packs, ammo, armors...all of which I won't need--but get a floor's worth of EXP for a measly 5 maxHP? And then repeat this for some shinies on my player profile?"

YES!

Solarn

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2013, 15:03 »

The problem I see here is that medals have very variable difficulty. Some are intended to be fairly easy to get and some will only ever be achieved by the top players, while some are simply luck-based. I honestly have no problem with any of them. I know I will likely never get the Hell Arena Pwnage Medal or Thomas' Medal, but that doesn't make me want to get rid of them because they were never intended for me. Similarly, I will probably never have the patience for Gambler's Shield, but that doesn't make it any less valid.

So no, I don't think any medals need to be removed.

SageAcrin

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2013, 15:08 »

That is so 0996. No seriously, I ran into DS a couple of runs back and it didn't register. Dangdest.

I can confirm this for this version-I found it once, poked at it a while, decided it wasn't worth time I'd rather spend playing the game to figure out, and wandered off. Despite trying a dozen or so times to pick it up, no register for me.
Arch-Vile Brigadier General, 25|18|15|7|1|1 (0.9.9.7)
(10k enemies/65~ Cyberdemons from Cyberdemon, 1 Diamond from Mjr. General)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4