Chaosforge Forum

• March 19, 2024, 02:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: The Elevator of Dimensions (0.9.2)  (Read 42078 times)

flamewolf393

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: The Elevator of Dimensions (0.9.2)
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2017, 17:18 »

I am!  Funny thing; I was just thinking of playing this again.  :)

Yeah, it sounds like you found the most irritating feature of this mod.  :P  Every time you complete a level, you get a message that says "Elevator doors are closing" and there's a countdown that goes 5 4 3 2 1.  You have a limited time to get back inside the elevator to continue, otherwise, it's game over.  It's annoying because it's *really* easy to miss the message about the doors and I've lost the game a number of times because of that.  I think other people have worked around that by adding a line to the bottom of the Config.lua file to change the colour of the text of that message to make it more eye-catching.

Yes, it's designed so that basically anyone can complete it.  The *real* challenge is doing it without dying.  :)  See if you can get Tourist Angelic!  :D

I just tried it again, and there literally is no message for the doors closing, or any kind of countdown. I guess I just have to notice if the last enemy has died and run for the doors.

And as far as I can tell its physically impossible to do this without dozens of deaths, considering the avatars and diabolists kills you in two hits flat (even with an ironman/TaN build), and even the "basic" enemies kill youin 3-4.

yaflhdztioxo

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Captain
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2017, 05:41 »

aah, memories.  The gameplay suffers heavily from an unstable equilibrium and if you're patient enough you can beat it standing still--but that's no fun.

I tend to think of it more as a modding demo; instead of the randomness you usually expect with a roguelike here's a very predictable, structured telling.  With lots of easily stolen features for future modders.  Alas modding didn't revitalize the DoomRL community as much as I would have hoped.  But we got tehtmi's work out of it so that's a plus.

You can edit the mod and lengthen the timeout if you like.  Maybe add a screen flash.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2017, 11:55 »

I just tried it again, and there literally is no message for the doors closing, or any kind of countdown.

This sounds very strange; can I see the mortem?

And as far as I can tell its physically impossible to do this without dozens of deaths, considering the avatars and diabolists kills you in two hits flat (even with an ironman/TaN build), and even the "basic" enemies kill youin 3-4.

And this sounds like a challenge!  :D  Maybe this should be my next video.  :)  It's definitely possible, since I've done it several times.  :)
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2017, 14:48 »

Okay, so I ended up dying several times and ultimately, didn't succeed because I tried to pick up too much stuff while the elevator doors were closing, but there were long stretches of time where I daresay I was holding my own pretty well; I still wouldn't say it's impossible.  Recording available by request.

Spoiler: Mortem (click to show/hide)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2017, 18:26 »

So, I had another pretty good game going, Army of the Dead build, well on its way to being Tourist Diamond;  I managed to complete the first and third levels without dying and died twice on level 2 in completely avoidable ways that only happened because I was playing while tired.

Then, suddenly, on level 4, the game crashed!  D:

I think what triggered the crash was me pushing the E key to look at my equipment screen while I was targeting an enemy to shoot them.  I'm not sure why that would trigger a crash; it's a somewhat common accidental key combination.  Maybe it had something to do with the Search & Destroy Orbs?  I don't know.  Anyway, here's the error log:

Code: [Select]
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Timestamp   : 26/07/2017 20:14:20
Error level : CRITICAL
Message     : Player action exception!

Error message : Access violation

Timestamp   : 26/07/2017 20:14:38
Error level : FATAL EXCEPTION
Message     : Fatal exception encountered

An unhandled exception occurred at $0040DAA8 :
EAccessViolation : Access violation
  $0040DAA8
  $0047977E
  $00462508  TDOOMXML__SAVE,  line 449 of src/dfhof.pas
  $00460219  TSCOREFILE__SAVE,  line 187 of src/dfhof.pas
  $0046BC15  THOF__SAVE,  line 1249 of src/dfhof.pas
  $0046BB6F  THOF__DONE,  line 1233 of src/dfhof.pas
  $0042FA11  TSYSTEM__DESTROY,  line 51 of e:/Projects/fpcvalkyrie/src/vsystem.pas

Timestamp   : 26/07/2017 20:14:38

An unhandled exception occurred at $02E225FD :
EAccessViolation : Access

Unfortunately, this means there's no mortem.  :|  Fortunately, I recorded the whole thing and I can upload the two hours of gameplay if anyone wants to see it and get an idea of how I keep ahead of the ridiculous mobs of enemies in this challenge.  :)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

Errant

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2017, 11:19 »

Link dead, requesting a re-up please.

Edit: oh, nvm, it was just the xmas logjam causing too much load to serve the request.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 08:42 by Errant »

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2019, 18:53 »

I felt like playing this mod again today (for the first time in almost two years, apparently!)  :P  and I had the same fatal crash as in my above game.  :(  It happened in the same place too, level 4 (the upside-down one) when I tried to look at my equipment screen and this time, I'm sure I wasn't targeting an enemy at the time I tried to look at it.  Out of curiosity, I reviewed the video I recorded two years ago of myself playing this and I freely looked at my equipment screen on that level without problems.  (I thought maybe it had something to do with the equipment I was using, since I had recently picked up a plasma rifle in both games before the crash, but that doesn't seem to be what caused it...  or at least it doesn't do it consistently)  I doubt anyone's looking at this mod these days, but here's the error message it generated anyway:

Code: [Select]
Timestamp   : 2019-04-12 20:36:47
Error level : CRITICAL
Message     : Player action exception!

Error message : Access violation

Timestamp   : 2019-04-12 20:37:03

An unhandled exception occurred at $0040DAA8 :
EAccessViolation : Access violation
  $0040DAA8
  $0047977E
  $00462508  TDOOMXML__SAVE,  line 449 of src/dfhof.pas
  $00460219  TSCOREFILE__SAVE,  line 187 of src/dfhof.pas
  $0046BC15  THOF__SAVE,  line 1249 of src/dfhof.pas
  $0046BB6F  THOF__DONE,  line 1233 of src/dfhof.pas
  $0042FA11  TSYSTEM__DESTROY,  line 51 of e:/Projects/fpcvalkyrie/src/vsystem.pas

EDIT:  I have a feeling that since both error messages have the "TSYSTEM__DESTROY" line in them, it has something to do with the "Search and Destroy Orbs," like looking at the equipment screen in their presence crashes it.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 18:56 by Tormuse »
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

Errant

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2019, 07:16 »

That looks pretty similar to the error I encountered. I wonder why you only get them every so often and i get it 100% of the time. I want to finish the game dammit.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2021, 06:39 »

(Huh, no posts here in two years?)  :o

Well, today, I randomly felt like playing this mod again, trying it with a Malicious Blades build.  This made me very dependent on my shotgun for the first two levels, which was tricky, but I was barely able to scrape by, up until I got cornered in the elevator on level 2 by two of those yellow baron guys.  (I can't remember what they're called, but they're the ones that cause spontaneous explosions around themselves)  They completely torched everything in the area, and I had no cover, and was reduced to just running up to them and knifing them with my Brute 2 unmodded combat knife, which wasn't terribly effective, and that's where I got the vast majority of those 25 deaths.  :P  (I didn't actually get Malicious Blades trait until the Wolfenstein level)

So no Diamond badge for me this time, but it was at least good enough for Platinum.  :)  (The game didn't actually take 11 hours;  I just left it running overnight)

Spoiler: Mortem (click to show/hide)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

pika132

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2022, 14:11 »

I know this forum, and this game, and this whole site are dead as hell, but I'd really like to download this mod and the link doesn't work =(

tehtmi

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2022, 20:14 »

I don't have the actual release of 0.9.2 (it looks like the only "official" version I have is maybe 0.8.1), but I have dev copies of add's mods that were in the old Chaosforge svn repo (although maybe not the absolute latest versions). Not sure what changes this entails besides some updating to account for changes in the base game. This doesn't work with DRL 0.9.9.7, but it mostly works with the github version. So, I could maybe post a Windows binary of my github fork with a fixed version of dev Elevator, or I could try to downgrade dev Elevator to 0.9.9.7 (maybe not that hard, but I don't really remember all the changes off the top of my head). Or you could wait and see if someone else like Tormuse can share the actual release of 0.9.2.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2022, 10:30 »

I know this forum, and this game, and this whole site are dead as hell, but I'd really like to download this mod and the link doesn't work =(

Here.  I just threw my copy on my Google Drive.  Try this link.  :)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All