Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 10:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Practical use of skulls/Arena Master staff  (Read 15859 times)

dougjoe2e

• Elder
  • Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Practical use of skulls/Arena Master staff
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2013, 11:13 »

This idea is interesting. It could also work as a single charge for the staff - after you die, the charge is gone, but you arise and the staff remains only to act as a lockpick for the Vaults with its lousy fire attack.

Actually, I was thinking that the Staff would not remain after reviving you and hence could not be used as the lockpick for the Vaults (if you weren't there yet).  I also wanted to force a decision to be made at the vaults themselves: do I spend the Staff to crack the Vaults, or do I keep it and save the "Get out of Jail Free" card for later?

Yes, this is yet another side of this question. Here we come up to the point of deciding whether we need an Item of Life here in DoomRL or not.

These items, I believe, will not just lay on the ground like ammo clips. :)

Personally I think it might be handy (homing phase devices, to some extent, belong to the category of life-saving items), however, obtaining such an item here must either be very difficult through special levels, or extremely unlikely as a random item spawn, like the homing phases. I don't think that the Arena Master's Staff which is discussed within this topic can potentially fulfill such a role. It will definitely require more balancing, like making the Chained Court tougher, or creating a completely new item used for such purpose in another special level.

That's why I tied this effect to the Arena Master's Staff - there's only *one*.

I'm sure one could balance the life-saving effects as needed (maybe it really pumps you up on ITYTD but has some serious drawbacks on N!).  Whether or not DoomRL needs such an item is a debate for more experienced DoomRL veterans than myself... I just wanted to give the Staff a more compelling reason for lugged around all the time.
0.9.9.1:Arch-Vile Colonel [19/19/12/3/0]
0.9.9.2:Hell Baron Captain [21/12/7/1/0]
0.9.9.3:Mancubus 2nd Lieutenant  [18/9/7/1/0]
0.9.9.4:Mancubus 2nd Lieutenant  [17/9/7/1/0]

Dreadlord

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Practical use of skulls/Arena Master staff
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2013, 03:08 »

Actually, I was thinking that the Staff would not remain after reviving you and hence could not be used as the lockpick for the Vaults (if you weren't there yet).  I also wanted to force a decision to be made at the vaults themselves: do I spend the Staff to crack the Vaults, or do I keep it and save the "Get out of Jail Free" card for later?

That's why I tied this effect to the Arena Master's Staff - there's only *one*.

Yes, this idea seems to be more balanced than my suggestion.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All