Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 07:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [N!|YAAM|YAFW] First (and last ?) N! win  (Read 5088 times)

Evilpotatoe

• Backer
  • Major
  • Lost Soul corpse
    • View Profile
[N!|YAAM|YAFW] First (and last ?) N! win
« on: April 20, 2013, 14:55 »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ok, so I wanted to complete a N! game... well, it's done. Took way too long, though.

Phobos levels were rather easy. Got a nasty opened caco vault at dlvl2. Wasn't really prepared for it, but a tracking map helped. This gave me some XP and a RL, but I could have waited a little for that, and didn't even use the rocket in HA.
Arena with Int2 was easy, anyway. Should probably have pwned it... but I wasn't careful enough for that.
Then, chain courts, much more serious. Had to rush chainsaw due to enthusiastic barons, losing one zerk pack, but managed to gib intruders barons on doors & kill AM quite fast. I had enough medkits, so it wasn't too much painful overall.
Military base was ridiculously easy. I didn't notice elite formers don't produce corpses, and still wonder why (k, they are quite dangerous, but not worth that O_o). Then, as I tought, I just had to wait in front of the bottom door to gib everithing on it. Didn't even take the tracking map, since it cripples waiting (and I'm fond of waiting, just look at my turn counter)

Anomaly was more dangerous than I expected. For once, I worn the red armor before the rocket jump, and didn't regret it. I never realized there is no place to gib monsters in this bloody level... maybe I should have jumped back to the left rather than to the right side, since it would have saved me a door.
I quickly realized nightmare monsters were too strong for me (didn't find a plasma rifle yet), and after wasting several rockets trying to wound a horde of cacos, I made a strategic withdrawal to the right, and had to kiss the BB.
Since the place offers some cover, killing them wasn't too hard, but getting & gibbing everything needed to use my rockets efficiently. 1st time I counted my rockets in this level.

Deimos lab with intuition was even easier that usually... except for the shamblers, ofc.
Here, I found not only an assault shitty, which I didn't care much about, since I crafted a Tactical shotgun, but also my laser rifle. Double bulked it in hope I could do a nanomachic one (which would have saved me a looooooot of time). Anyway, I wanted to be able to chainfire the shamblers really quickly. And it worked pretty well.
Btw, I got a sniper mod and cybernano armor. **** it.

City of skulls was easy, as usual. A level without respawning enemies is sooooooo sween on N!
Then, I got lucky and found my 2 first phase devices in the game, just before halls of... spiders (damn, I needed mods !!!). At least, I got a free cell pack : INT2 on lair's new layout is really sweet, with walls everywhere to land your rockets, be it to kill, or gib corpses.
Found an invulnerabilty for cybie, so he tasted my B3 laser rifle fully.

On Hell1, I found a nuke... but no damn globe. I was gonna leave the level, sad to fail conqueror, when I realized I just found phaseshift boots too, and had HR. Looked at my movespeed, and didn't resist to longinus diamond... so I grabbed a throwing knife on the floor and dove in.
1h40 for that bastard !!. I knew it would suck, but really... he's so ridiculous. well, it was a "great fight" I guess. At least, I got a scythe rather than a stupid DS I couldn't have picked up.
I just HATE that level. Really.

At least, I liked the scythe. So much that I picked a 2nd level of EE just for it (well, my rifle probably got some benefit from it, but it didn't need it)
Found an invulnerability in the level before the vaults... hesitated to nuke it, but I had a tracking map, so it wasn't needed. Then hesitated to nuke the vaults, but the monsters in are weak, it's full of rockets, and I was hoping for an energy shielded vest or other good armor, so I kept my nuke. Btw, they offered me crap : ballistic shield & Charch's null pointless.

Got another invu for the mortuary... just what I needed ! Came in, dropped the baby, rocket jumped to get the BFG, and watched the fireworks. I should have taken the P-mod too, but didn't want to take any risk (Never found the 3rd one I needed to complete my cerberus suit ~~).
Mt. Erebus was easy, as usual. I spent a stack of shells camping the entry for elementals & souls, then pwned the baddies. No loot at all, except lava element.

I paid Spider's toll with my nuclear BFG, and I met JC. I don't know if my screen filled with barons was because I shot him from intuition range or N! difficulty, but it made the fight a little more serious than usually. I Shot a few rockets, then switched to BFG, and chainfired. It was also the occasion to explode this stupid hellwave pack, which looks rather efficient.

Overall... I had to manage my ammo too much. Was always saving my cells, except for dangerous situations. This resulted in a huge use of my shotgun, and rockets. Since I was short of inventory slots, I even had to use several of my shell boxes (which I keep in case of need, and most of the time never use, on UV).

I was also quite disappointed with my overall loot. In fact, the RNG really didn't want me to get stuffed :
Two nice exotics, with laser rifle & phaseshift boots. What else ? The too late assault shotty, a combat pistol, two plasma shotties (which might have been good... if I wasn't so short of ammo), ah, and a blood skull. I got to mention it since it's probably the only other exotic I found. No duelist or onyx armors, no rare packs, just nothing.

...even the normal mods I found sucked. Well, I found something like 10 bulks, which let me assemble my Tac RL rather fast, and 4 or 5 T around half of Deimos. The drawback was : no A or P.
Didn't finish my tactical boots, put my 2nd A for a never finished cerberus, and found the 3rd & 4th ones in Hell8 (very funny, RNG).
No serious unique either : Cybernetic Armor, Hellwave Pack, Hell Staff, Charch's Null Pointer, Mega Buster &... late GCB !
Ok, staff is good, pack might be a lifesaver, & GCB is great for gun builds... but staff was quite late, and I wasn't on a gun build.

Bah, let's enjoy shiny new badges... I even got angelics for 100% & Full win !
Badges - [26/26/26/22/9/2] - 42/43

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
Re: [N!|YAAM|YAFW] First (and last ?) N! win
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 15:33 »

So your first N! win attempt is YAAM Conqueror?
If i have heard this before you posted this, i would have called you crazy.
After seeing this i can only say that your skills are awesome.
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

Q2ZOv

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 15:45 »

Wait..... WHAT?

First win on N! and YAAM and Conqueror?

Thats
Just
Insane.

Congratulations! I am a bit jealous :)
0.9.9.7 Imp Corporal
[6/3/2/1/1/0]
0.9.9.6 Cyberdemon God Hand
[24/22/22/17/15]

SageAcrin

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 18:41 »

Seriously crazy, seriously impressive.

Congratulations. :)
Arch-Vile Brigadier General, 25|18|15|7|1|1 (0.9.9.7)
(10k enemies/65~ Cyberdemons from Cyberdemon, 1 Diamond from Mjr. General)

Evilpotatoe

• Backer
  • Major
  • Lost Soul corpse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 03:20 »

What's wrong with YAAM and conqueror :p ?

We all hate leaving enemies alive, don't we ? Well, I could have just taken the XP, and run to the stairs like a coward, btw. But I like job done thoroughly, and usually don't consider leaving a floor before fully cleaning it unless an armed nuke argues against me (they are quite persuasive, I must admit).
Anomaly and mazes are harder than I thought, but the other ones are not too hard to handle.

For conqueror, bah... unless I just want something specific, or play a particular challenge (AoMr city of skulls ? :p), I rarely skip special floors.
Most of them are not that hard past CC+. Cathedral needs a nuke (or alternatively, patience, which is why I usually skip it), the vaults and lava pits just need to carry oer an item, so, only the mortuary is a real choice, from my point of view.
Carrying the vault's staff, or dlvl7's envirosuit isn't necessary, indeed, but I got used to it. Sort of "training" constraints : limiting my inventory to make a better use of it, and stop dying with 10 large medpacks.
I think I carryed an average of 5, but I managed to survive with powerups most of the time, which is very satisfying for me (and also means I could free 2 slots for ammo). The final fight cost me 1 or two only, so I definiltly could have used less... but wasn't confident at all on this.

Anyway, I'm still missing 2Dev's sixth sense to replace MCe and intuition. Unlimited ammo would have made my game sooooooooooooo much quicker !

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 11:16 »

What's wrong with YAAM and conqueror :p ?

We all hate leaving enemies alive, don't we ? Well, I could have just taken the XP, and run to the stairs like a coward, btw. But I like job done thoroughly, and usually don't consider leaving a floor before fully cleaning it unless an armed nuke argues against me (they are quite persuasive, I must admit).
Actually, most of people here are lazy pussies, and they do not aim for YAAM.

This makes your win even more TRUE :) .

SageAcrin

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 15:14 »

Actually, most of people here are lazy pussies, and they do not aim for YAAM.

Hey!

I'm only lazy. :(
Arch-Vile Brigadier General, 25|18|15|7|1|1 (0.9.9.7)
(10k enemies/65~ Cyberdemons from Cyberdemon, 1 Diamond from Mjr. General)

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 19:59 »

Hey!

I'm only lazy. :(
Be a man, go for YAAM! :)

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 21:22 »

Hey, that almost rhymed!  :D

@Evilpotatoe, I just wanted to say kudos on a seriously nice run here!  I think the kill counter on the character screen makes it slightly easier than it used to be, but still, I know from experience just how much patience this kind of run takes and the fact that it was your first Nightmare win is...  wow...  Well, I guess your motto is go big or go home, eh?  :)
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Napsterbater

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 23:49 »

Why get EE for the Scythe when Brute gives the same bonus and gives +2 damage?

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 01:24 »

+3 damage, actually, and I'm guessing he didn't want to lose the Longinus Diamond?  Can you get Brute after you complete UC and still get Longinus Diamond?  I've wondered about that, but never tried to find out.
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Evilpotatoe

• Backer
  • Major
  • Lost Soul corpse
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 02:22 »

I don't think it would have denied longinus, but anyway, what are 3 damages when scythe has an average of 45... ?
Improving my RL & maybe laser rifle's accuracy (I'm not sure I reached it's cap) sounded much more useful.

And yeah, new version makes it a little easier, but level really should turn to blue on N!... once all corpses are dead. It's annoying to keep a red level when you squished or melted everything, and while waiting some more 10000 turns usually ensures you forgot nothing, it's just not the best solution.

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 03:54 »

And yeah, new version makes it a little easier, but level really should turn to blue on N!... once all corpses are dead. It's annoying to keep a red level when you squished or melted everything, and while waiting some more 10000 turns usually ensures you forgot nothing, it's just not the best solution.
I agree with that.

Hopefully Kornel will stop adding new content, and rather aim for gameplay & interface changes in the following releases :/ .

Uranium

• Greater Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Heavier Than A Death In The Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 09:19 »

What.
What.
whaaat

First N! win and it's not only a full win but a 100%
Kudos!

+3 damage, actually, and I'm guessing he didn't want to lose the Longinus Diamond?  Can you get Brute after you complete UC and still get Longinus Diamond?  I've wondered about that, but never tried to find out.
Yeah, you can. The badge is awarded when you leave the UC (or kill the AoD), rather than at the end of the game, I believe.
Use power for power.
Pages: [1]