Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 05:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Graphic display of what tiles the DoomGuy are in cover from  (Read 2785 times)

Infinitum

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile

Seeing as assymetrical LOS is such a central game concept, it'd be helpful if the game was less opaque about exactly which monsters could see the PC or not. Having to memorize LOS patterns is at best artificial difficulty and needlessly adds to the games difficuly curve (especially as players familiar with the mechanic from other roguelikes get a head start). A simple dimming of affected tiles would suffice and probably look neat to boot.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 11:38 by Infinitum »

Evilpotatoe

• Backer
  • Major
  • Lost Soul corpse
    • View Profile
Re: Graphic display of what tiles the DoomGuy are in cover from
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 12:03 »

Upvoting !
it'd be helpful if the game was less opaque
Sounds completely obvious, yeah. Same for shotgun's affected areas, which are completely assymetrical.
I quickly got a very precise vision of shotgun's affected area, but since it's not consistent, I still sometimes miss a target in front of me...
Alas, I recently was answered that the shotgun's area display tool exists (as a debug one), and isn't planned to be added in the game.

I hope the dev team will understand that the game has to be more intuitive, since an artificially long learning curve is NOT a good way to improve difficulty, but it's often not the first priority of RL developpers (and while it's far from enough, we gotta keep in mind that doomRL is already extremely intuitive, compared to most other roguelikes).
Badges - [26/26/26/22/9/2] - 42/43

lmaoboat

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Graphic display of what tiles the DoomGuy are in cover from
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 19:12 »

I think it would be cool to see corner shooting made a little more offical by letting you see anything that you could hit with a trade off of the difficulty being increased in some other way. I thought it would probably increase pace quite a bit.
Pages: [1]