Chaosforge Forum

• March 19, 2024, 01:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Evolustuff (1.0.3)  (Read 31647 times)

SPTX

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Evolustuff (1.0.1)
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2013, 12:41 »

I think this is intended, but just for the record:
The game yells at me if I kill something without anything equipped (armor and boots empty, not just weapons slot)

Okay, fixed it.
I changed the resistances message syntax to add commas too.
I noticed a few more things that needed change, I'm doing this and then I'll upload the next version.

EDIT :
uploaded, here are the changes :

-made the mod recognize equipement-less kills
-added commas and "and" to the armor/boots resistances ui message
-the chances to get a dice sides boost over a dice roll are now applied properly (I had inadvertedly inverted the chances, resulting in weapons gathering additional dice rolls too fast)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 13:42 by SPTX »

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
Re: Evolustuff
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 08:10 »

This is so much fun! I'm doing a gun-kata UV run and the anomaly ambush was hilarious - I got the upgrade that gives me free action on kill and MGk gives me free reload on kill, so I just stood in the middle and shoot everything before they could move. I can't wait for the city of skulls.

I am a bit scared of UC though, with brute blocked. I'll have to level up my chainsaw a bit I guess...

Edit: Also, gibbing imps and formers with a pistol is awesome.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Steve

• Supporter of Chaos
  • Corporal
  • Misplaced Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Evolustuff (1.0.2)
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 10:21 »

If everything you have is fully upgraded and you are not in automatic mode, you get stuck in the select screen. Also the clip and reload upgrades don't work.

By the way, This is great fun ^.^
You found the chain-rocket launcher!

White Rider

• Elder
  • Captain
  • Doesn't play much
    • View Profile
    • My Steam Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 12:19 »

Found a bug at Deimos Lab. Thought it was the base game; turns out it's the mod.
And since I'm lazy, here's the link
http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php/topic,6466.msg56363.html#msg56363

This bug is related to the module.  The issue here is that the module sets all of the exotic mods weight's to 0.  The items that are chosen in those two spots are chosen from the exotic mods.  Because all the weights are 0, nothing is picked, and then the game attempts to place a null item (there's the error).
0.9.9.6: 10d 15h Arch-Vile Major; 6/6/2012 - 3/15/2013
0.9.9.7: 12d 9h Cyberdemon Br. General; 3/19/2013 - ?
V: 31 (5P 17S 9F) M: 32 I: 66 A: 40 | 26 24 19 8 1 0

Evilpotatoe

• Backer
  • Major
  • Lost Soul corpse
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 13:49 »

Just tested the mod... it's terribly fun !

Well, not balanced at all, of course, but I didn't think my pistol would have 5d5 by the 1st level O_o
It makes the tourist module's cosmo blaster a bad weapon :p

My steel boots ended with at least +52% speed and 100% both resists, and the Malek's armor found on level 9 was rather good too :p
I nuked MM, then JC, then rocket-jumped to kil him with the chainsaw during the countdown xD

some feedbacks :
- It seems all weapons are capped at 15d15, right ? It would be better to cap them at something like initial dice&sides * 2, so that bigger weapons might have some use. I didn't bother much giving XP to my scythe in such conditions, since my Chainsaw already had 0.1 AS, 10d14 and Cleave.
- Since the monsters levelup too (1.02 addition ?), it's nearly impossible to level an "old", unused weapon. I tried to level a plasma gun in deimos lab, but after some difficulty to get kills, and at only 2d7 damages, I gave up, since my gun & shotgun were already maxed.
- Too much damages gibs everything -> ammo issues xD !  This somehow forced me to switch to melee (well, I probably had 3 or 4 spare ammo boxes... but they are not meant to be used !).  I think ammo stacks size should be increased.
-Weapons quickly get zillions of damages and 0.1 AS, but never improve clip size and reload speed. Is that intended ???
-Give back a weight to some exotics mods, so that Deimos lab/Armory don't bug on complete. (Hey, makes me realize I found a shockwave in some late cave... are not all exotics supposed to be removed ?)
-Nuking halls of carnage didn't seem to buff my chainsaw. I think it changed from 5d6 to 6d6, something like this... while I had 2.5 pages of improvements logs, including several ones on my weapon. Maybe another bug, related to multiple improvements in a single game turn ?

Overall, I like the concept, but think it would be way better with (a lttle) more balanced improvements, and (WAY) less stuff evolutions. A gun should take at least an episode to max, and unused weapons should just be weak, not useless.
Badges - [26/26/26/22/9/2] - 42/43

White Rider

• Elder
  • Captain
  • Doesn't play much
    • View Profile
    • My Steam Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2013, 14:41 »

What if weapon upgrades were given every few kills, and not every single kill? Torchlight 2 had it where some weapons were "augmented" and got better stats upon killing a certain number of something. Admittedly though, I've never used any of those weapons so I don't know if it's a one-time improvement or multiple improvements.

And yeah, ammo is a problem when you're gibbing humans with a 12d10 pistol all the time.
But as you progress enemies get stronger, so it's hard to justify using another kind of weapon when you already have a (13d10)x4 chaingun or whatever for the normal (1d7)x6 plasma rifle, which would be superior in a standard game.

Thoughts:
- What if you had an item that could store improvements and then use them as you wish? Make an item that you could equip in your prepared slot to "absorb" improvements and you could apply them onto equipment as you please.

- To prevent equipment from getting too OP, give equipment experience levels? Make improvements happen less frequently as gear has more concurrent improvements?

SPTX

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2013, 14:52 »

Well, it looks like I have quite a few things to do still.
- It seems all weapons are capped at 15d15, right ? It would be better to cap them at something like initial dice&sides * 2, so that bigger weapons might have some use. I didn't bother much giving XP to my scythe in such conditions, since my Chainsaw already had 0.1 AS, 10d14 and Cleave.
- Since the monsters levelup too (1.02 addition ?), it's nearly impossible to level an "old", unused weapon. I tried to level a plasma gun in deimos lab, but after some difficulty to get kills, and at only 2d7 damages, I gave up, since my gun & shotgun were already maxed.
- Too much damages gibs everything -> ammo issues xD !  This somehow forced me to switch to melee (well, I probably had 3 or 4 spare ammo boxes... but they are not meant to be used !).  I think ammo stacks size should be increased.
-Weapons quickly get zillions of damages and 0.1 AS, but never improve clip size and reload speed. Is that intended ???
-Give back a weight to some exotics mods, so that Deimos lab/Armory don't bug on complete. (Hey, makes me realize I found a shockwave in some late cave... are not all exotics supposed to be removed ?)
-Nuking halls of carnage didn't seem to buff my chainsaw. I think it changed from 5d6 to 6d6, something like this... while I had 2.5 pages of improvements logs, including several ones on my weapon. Maybe another bug, related to multiple improvements in a single game turn ?
Overall, I like the concept, but think it would be way better with (a lttle) more balanced improvements, and (WAY) less stuff evolutions. A gun should take at least an episode to max, and unused weapons should just be weak, not useless.
Capping the damage at 15d15 was initially meant to give a chance to the cyberdemon and other bosses to survive at least one shot (man, had you see the mod when it was uncapped, I had a nuclear BFG that split fired 3 balls... like ten times by shot, which exploded the whole level size, which in turn ultimately made the game freeze for half a minute), anyway, now I am a bit more nimble with manipulating prototypes, so I should be able to get something more sophisticated in place.
Monster health is quite a big problem, whatever I attempted to do, it always end up to high or too low, I think to balance it I'll have to find something radically different. Right now they are getting some silly formula made with base health, maximum achieved weapon dice and sides as well as number of shots.
Apparently I somehow managed to break the clip size and reload speed upgrades, they were previously working.
I didn't remove all exotics, I removed the mods (I remember applying some of them would reset the items' stats). I'll think of a way to fix that issue that happens in special level.

What if weapon upgrades were given every few kills, and not every single kill? Torchlight 2 had it where some weapons were "augmented" and got better stats upon killing a certain number of something. Admittedly though, I've never used any of those weapons so I don't know if it's a one-time improvement or multiple improvements.
- To prevent equipment from getting too OP, give equipment experience levels? Make improvements happen less frequently as gear has more concurrent improvements?
Ultimately, I thought about making the items upgrade with experience rather than plain kills. But I am not sure how to make it work (technically speaking I mean) yet.

And yeah, ammo is a problem when you're gibbing humans with a 12d10 pistol all the time.
But as you progress enemies get stronger, so it's hard to justify using another kind of weapon when you already have a (13d10)x4 chaingun or whatever for the normal (1d7)x6 plasma rifle, which would be superior in a standard game.
I thought about that, but I just don't see what I can do about it, deactivating the ammo not dropping on gibbing if it's possible? I have to find how to do it. Or spawn ammo if the enemy is gibbed. Either way I have to find how to manipulate gibbing.
- What if you had an item that could store improvements and then use them as you wish? Make an item that you could equip in your prepared slot to "absorb" improvements and you could apply them onto equipment as you please.
Rah, don't spoil it, that was for an other mod!

yaflhdztioxo

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Captain
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2013, 19:23 »

Ultimately, I thought about making the items upgrade with experience rather than plain kills. But I am not sure how to make it work (technically speaking I mean) yet.
Hackish but doable.  Player experience is a viewable field.  An OnTick or OnKill hook can check the player's experience, see if it's past a threshold, and upgrade if it is.  You'd have to generate your thresholds or have an algorithm that'll do it and you'll have to store a custom attribute on the player for their current 'level'.  There could also be issues if nothing upgradeable is equipped.  But overall there are several ways to make it work.

I thought about that, but I just don't see what I can do about it, deactivating the ammo not dropping on gibbing if it's possible? I have to find how to do it. Or spawn ammo if the enemy is gibbed. Either way I have to find how to manipulate gibbing.Rah, don't spoil it, that was for an other mod!
The OnDie and OnDieCheck hooks will give you a boolean if the being was gibbed (overkilled).  You can't override the overkill flag but you CAN drop ammo if they were killed manually.  If you do it in the OnDie hook the inventory is already cleared; if you do it in the OnDieCheck hook I believe the inventory is still mutable so you could 'drop' all of those items (see the Elevator for one way, ep's hinted there's a more proper way I don't know about) and then clear the inventory, letting the being get gibbed naturally afterwards.

*This genius advice comes to you untested, but I'm pretty certain it'll work.  For more insight on abusing the engine visit IRC.  It's where the cool people go.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 19:24 by yaflhdztioxo »

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2013, 08:53 »

Giving upgrades for XP is what I came up with as well... it would be good if you could make it work.

Ammo problems - do we really need to make this mod easier? I'd leave it the way it is. At least you'll need to be careful about something.

RE: Levelling "new" weapons - you can simply keep the new weapon in your prepared slot. That's how I levelled my chainsaw.

The question is - what kind of self-imposed challenge would make this less easy? I'm thinking a sunrise iron fist run, though if you can survive the first few levels, you'll probably end up with 100% resistance to everything without weapons to upgrade... I need to try that.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

White Rider

• Elder
  • Captain
  • Doesn't play much
    • View Profile
    • My Steam Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2013, 13:55 »

Clearly we need nanomanufacture ammo to be one of the evolution perks.

SPTX

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2013, 15:19 »

It already is.

White Rider

• Elder
  • Captain
  • Doesn't play much
    • View Profile
    • My Steam Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2013, 15:23 »

It already is.

You serious? Sheesh.
Haven't seen it myself yet, though I've seen armor and boots replicating Nano and Onyx mod effects.

SPTX

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2013, 15:31 »

I made Flags quite are. Around 5% all around, then it chooses one of the possible flags from those applicable/available.

darksergio

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2013, 09:16 »

gibbing is a real problem unless you stock ammo on the early levels since both shotgun shells 10mm ammo and cells are abundant on the mod in the phobos base but really a 15d15 handgun doesnt give the Cibye a fair change of battle since it it does max damage he is one shoted xD but I enjoy having a desintegrator ray on nightmare xD

Equality

• Second Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2013, 05:02 »

gibbing corpses not a problem of mod, you always can find ammo-packs or just ammo, or unload chainguns. When 1-3 shot is enough for everyone, 250 10mm ammo = 100 enemies. 2 ammopacks and no problems
Once advanced DoomRL player
Find mysterious sword Dragonslayer
Say "Best thing ever found!" and start jumping around...
But he can't get the sword from the ground
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All