Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 13:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What I've learned from Ao666  (Read 2187 times)

aka_Cthulhu

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
What I've learned from Ao666
« on: May 10, 2013, 07:11 »

Greetings, all. Well, since it's my first post and all, I figure I should post about my experience in surviving 666 levels of hell.

-In hindsight, I should have picked at least Hurt Me Plenty. I went with the lower difficulty to have an idea of what to expect, but by the time I reached level 200, it became a matter of killing everything on sight as fast as I can.
-Barons become much more accurate later on, and they can take a chunk of armor away so fast. Early on, the lava armor was very useful alongside the cerberus boots, but against Barons they quickly go down to zero durability.
-The Inquisitor set is a near game breaker. Arch-Viles, Mancubi, Revenants... all three are weaker than former humans at a long range fight by the virtue of the set having a 100 percent resistance to fire.
-Of course, Barons still require caution. Nightmare Arachnotrons are by far the toughest enemy. The caves of them are pure hell.
-Using a scout, I thought of going melee with blademaster. With the butcher's cleaver, there's no need to get that skill, and the weapon serves as a fantastic melee weapon from start to end.
-The Nano Shrapnel mod is another game breaker, if you're patient. This is especially the case if you use a super shotgun for that mod. The reduced damage is fixed from the double hit nature of the shotgun, without the limited range of the double shotgun. You might as well shoot in the dark until you know the enemy in the distance is dead. No reloads, just an endless stream of shotgun blasts.
-Whether it's the shotgun or the cleaver, everything gets killed fairly quickly. From Cyberdemons to Agony Elementals.
-Of course, it was all made much easier with the berserker trait.
-Getting the items for the nano shrapnel, thanks to so many levels, is usually just a matter of when than if. Got very lucky that I got most of what I needed before level 200, though I did not realize the benefits of the Inquisitor set until much later.
-However, getting the Dragonslayer is still outside my reach. I got the berserker armor, and I figured that I need that for the sword, but finding the latter was impossible.

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
Re: What I've learned from Ao666
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 08:52 »

Welcome to forums.
Difficulty really matters only for early levels. After lvl30 it's all the same. Except that on UV/N! you take twice as much time to clear the level due to increased number of monsters.
The Inqusitor set is OP, that's true.
It's not berserker armor is needed for dragonslayer, it's the opposite - to wear it you first need to pickup DS.
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

aka_Cthulhu

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: What I've learned from Ao666
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 21:02 »

It kinda feels the enemies are more accurate once you go past level 100. Perhaps it's more of a case of there being more and more enemies. Though the Inquisitor set is OP, I almost died due to something stupid; I completely forgot that it's not immune to acid, so I almost died in a later level when trying to move my character through acid during a fight.

Armor early on was my only issue. Never seemed to get anything useful; even went with the Necroarmor for several levels. For overall defense, I went with a Cerebus mod on a Duelist armor. Then I stuck with the lava armor for a hundred levels or so, switching back and forth with the Cerberus Duelist. Cerberus boots for terrain hazardous levels, and antigravity phaseshift for the rest until I used the Inquisitor set. Quite dumb of me, but it took me a while to realize that the Malek armor and Nyarlathotep boots was the pair needed for the set.

The Butcher's Cleaver is pretty dang fun on Agony Elemental caves. The entire floor was covered in blood, or at least 70 to 80 percent of the floor was covered.

Swarms of former humans have become pretty dangerous on later levels if I try to melee, since they can take out bits of my armor's durability. For that purpose, the nanoshrapnel super shotgun works wonders; and pretty much the normal enemies go down in three to four blasts.

It's freaking noisy though. Kind of reminds me of a scene on the first Expendables, with the rapid fire shotgun.
Pages: [1]