Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 01:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: If I were to try to PBF a boardgame...  (Read 19076 times)

HexaDoken

• Sergeant
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile
If I were to try to PBF a boardgame...
« on: May 12, 2013, 02:26 »

Hi. Long time no see. I was kinda absent for a while, and I see I've missed a lot.

So, if I were to try to PBF a boardgame here, would anybody actually play that? You know, not those make-believe games which have flooded this entire forum, but rather those boardgames where you constantly roll dice and move figures around? Like snakes and ladders except much more complicated?

Preceding the question "what boardgame?" -  a one you never heard about, because it's of my own creation. All I can say that it's based on Doom the Boardgame(although the basic idea of the game has changed a LOT), and it is somewhat like chess, except much less boring and much more imbalanced.

So if anybody shows interest in playing a boardgame over a forum, I'll post the rules of it. There is no hard limit on amount of players, though the maximum amount I have attempted is 3 and I have no idea how well it will work with more.

EDIT:

EDIT EDIT: okay fixed the formatting a bit, holy mackerel its painful.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 01:35 by HexaDoken »
2nd Lieutenant Hell Baron, Body Count: 43879
Wins:[1|7|1|0|0] Deaths: [7|90|26|16|2] Badges:[18|10|4|0|0]
Highest Score: 214763
Currently Doing: AoB HNTR

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
Re: If I were to try to PBF a boardgame...
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 02:29 »

Hi HD, good to see you around again. I think I'd need a little more convincing than just your brief summary below, but as a rule this sounds interesting enough to me to give it try.

Can you give a bit more background? The rough lines of how it's going to work? I don't need the full story nor rulebook, just to dig a little deeper...
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

HexaDoken

• Sergeant
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 02:49 »

The full story: a bunch of guys in a spheric battleground floating in vacuum decided to kill each other. Simple as that.

If you ever have played ZDoom Wars mod for newschool Doom, then you mostly know what you'll be expecting. If not...

Basically, there is a battlefield - more complex than just a large square, with corridors, rooms, teleporters, toxic sludge, stuff. The players are located there. The goal of each player is to completely obliterate every other enemy player. There may be teams, or not. Depends on amount of players and their decision.

From the start of the game, each player has only one unit - the Summoner Unit. Theese are  huge bulletsponges, but cannot directly attack. Instead, they receive Mana Points at a constant rate. They can expend MP on summoning monsters - monsters which can directly attack and are directly controlled by the player who summoned them. The goal of the game is to use the monsters you have summoned to defeat the monsters of your opponent, while keeping an eye on your fairly vulnerable Summoner. The death of your Summoner usually marks the end of the game, since he cannot revive, and without him, bringing reinforcements to the battle is impossible. Though the actual loss condition is "lose every unit you can control", so a victory is possible even after your Summoner has died, though this never actually happened.

So yeah. Less boring and less balanced chess. As you can see, there will be a fair amount of strategy involved. Those who want a plot will receive nothing because we will purely operate with faceless mooks.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 05:18 »

Ok, sounds like a good concept. I don't know if it'd be my kind of game, personally, but I'd be willing to give it a try.

HexaDoken

• Sergeant
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 06:49 »

You'll probably like it if you have ever enjoyed playing a turn based strategy (video)game. It's about using your limited resources in a right way, positioning your soldiers in locations that play to their strengths, disallow the enemy to position himself in locations that play to their strengths, surround him, cut off escape routes, etc. etc. etc.

So that's two players(with me being first). That's already enough to start, but I'll do that some time later, seeing as how the game doesn't really accept late-joiners and I still need to write a "rulebook".

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 07:10 »

So yeah. Less boring and less balanced chess.

Chess? Boring?! You, sir, disgust me.

Nah, good to see you again. I'll need more information, but it could be fun. I'll wait and see for now.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

HexaDoken

• Sergeant
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 11:12 »

Well if you like chess you will probably like this too!.. probably.

Anywho, I've forcefully dragged politely invited a certain friend of mine to this game. I'm not sure if he is going to register on forums, but anyway, that means we have four potential players - me, LuckyDee, Klear, and that mysterious friend guy. This means we can try a 2 vs 2 teamgame, rather than just a FFA. Opinions on that.

Also, it seems that it wasn't obvious enough for somebody, so I'm making it clear. I will be participating in the game both as a GM of sorts and as a player. I guess that's okay since there isn't much advantage I can get, at least without it becoming blatantly obvious that I'm cheating.

Aside from the game being FFA or Teams, there are two more discussion topics brought up.

First: the way of communication with players. More specifically, how the battlefield will be drawn. I thought I would just spam MSPainted images all over the place... but then it hit me. This is a damn roguelike forum. Why not use ASCII?

The thing is that images are obviously much more informative than ASCII. However, on the other hand, ASCII is much easier, allowing me to update faster and reduce the chance of me losing motivation.

Second: I'm debating whether I should include the exact inner formulas in the rulebook. Hiding the formulas from the players has one upside and one downside.

The upside: I find the gameplay more interesting when you dont know exactly stuff like how much damage that attack deals. I find it better when you just have to use faith. And since the random has a large impact on the formulas, it doesn't really give me that much of advantage, since even if I try to use the knowledge to predict everything, that blasted random miss chance will screw my shit up.

The downside: this impacts communication. If I hide the formulas from the public, I will have to resolve every friggin turn myself. While I totally can do that, this has a negative effect of players being unable to see the result of their immediate actions. If I make formulas public, players can roll damage and other stuff on the fly, to see what exactly happened right away.

So, your thoughts?

Also, I should probably notice that this game won't be quick. I haven't exactly counted, but I'm pretty sure previous games have taken a hundred or more turns - and since this is a forum game, I won't be surprised if a single round will suddenly take weeks. Though it might just end in one day... but yeah, be prepared for a long game.

The rulebook is still under construction. The progress is there - it is now more than an empty .txt file - but still not done.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 11:15 by HexaDoken »

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 12:35 »

Re: teamgame versus FFA (free for all? probably not 'free fatty acids', which I'm confronted with on a daily basis): either way is fine by me (as long as I'm winning)
Re: GM versus player: sure (as long as you're losing)
Re: show/hide formulas: show. Especially if we're playtesting your creation. I think we deserve to know what's fixed (and how) and what's random.

And do go for ASCII, simply because it's the easiest way. Images are icing on the cake, first you need to bake the fat bastard.

HexaDoken

• Sergeant
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 01:23 »

Well, this took MUCH more time than I thought it would. Goddamn internet instability and real-life problems.

The "rulebook" is complete. Note that it isn't exactly a small read. It's on the first post.

So well, what now? Now you ask question. If you don't have questions, you signify if you're going to participate or not.

And what I'm doing? I'm drawing a map, that's what. Also, after that, I'll be making a short battle between myself and... myself. It will sow you the basics of the rules and tell you how the turn format should be theoretically handled. I hope.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 02:02 »

The "rulebook" is complete. Note that it isn't exactly a small read. It's on the first post.

Eep - you weren't kidding. Give me a week or two to absorb all this... :S

HexaDoken

• Sergeant
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 02:35 »

Come on, my friend read through it all within just an hour! It's not THAT bad!

But yeah. The textfile with this is 33,1 KB large, meaning that there is slightly more than 30,000 symbols in all this. Have fun.

Though the only part which you REALLY have to like, memorize by heart, is the monster table. Everything else deserves only a minor glance, and everything you don't remember can be caught up on the go. Most of text exists there solely for the reason of me having something to counter the "you're making rules up!" claims which seem to pursue me about all the time.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 05:26 »

Come on, my friend read through it all within just an hour! It's not THAT bad!

I know, it's just that it could take me a week to spare an hour :) I'll get to it a.s.a.p.

HexaDoken

• Sergeant
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 02:39 »

Also, ASCII was too hard for me to handle, so instead we will be using screenshots. I've already cooked up a basic image editor for that purpose.

Programming a grid-based image editor from scratch for me is way easier than doing things in ASCII.

Something must be wrong with me.

Orvus

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 01:36 »

Also, ASCII was too hard for me to handle, so instead we will be using screenshots. I've already cooked up a basic image editor for that purpose.

Programming a grid-based image editor from scratch for me is way easier than doing things in ASCII.

Something must be wrong with me.
There are ASCII editors, dude. Try PabloDraw, for example.

HexaDoken

• Sergeant
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 12:32 »

did you just register on forums with the sole purpose of telling me that
Well too late. Because I made this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Opinions?

Orvus

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 17:24 »

did you just register on forums with the sole purpose of telling me that
I'm not part of the PabloDraw marketing team in case you're wondering.

Though that's an impressive app for just a couple of days of work. C#?

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 23:33 »

Opinions?

Colorful. I thought I'd let you know that I'm pulling out for the time being. I have a lot of stuff on my hands, and an umpteen page manual makes the treshold too high to just jump in right now. I will be keeping an eye on this, though, the idea is very interesting.

HexaDoken

• Sergeant
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2013, 01:21 »

Though that's an impressive app for just a couple of days of work. C#?

Oh come on it's not like it's hard or something. Especially considering the Visual Studio IDE does like 80% of work for you. Plus, I made the whole grid drawing system aeons ago for an other project of mine, so I just recycled it here.

And yeah, C# indeed.

I thought I'd let you know that I'm pulling out for the time being. I have a lot of stuff on my hands, and an umpteen page manual makes the treshold too high to just jump in right now. I will be keeping an eye on this, though, the idea is very interesting.

S'alright. I'm good at waiting, so I guess I'll be doing exactly that for now.
Pages: 1 2 [All]