Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 07:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What about custom challenges? First one: Hell Arena  (Read 2183 times)

Equality

• Second Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile

I hope all know about custom challenges and loading from mod server? Well, they are good for understanding how write own modules (thank for source code) but what about win them?
well, I have some ways for Gold (complete on UV) but it tricky and with RNG favor.
Spoiler: But real (click to show/hide)
Main problem: Lack of ammo. 50 shells for arena not enough even on HMP - no "radar shooting", no even shoots from long distance - seek for enemies, wait for short distance and shoot when close. Past 2nd wave I have about 7 or 8 shells and empty chaingun. On UV I have no ammo (no one shell!) and need run to shells that appears past 2nd wave.
Anybody get Platinum? How? They ressurects, no ammo, no melee weapon - it impossible o_O
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 11:12 by Equality »
Once advanced DoomRL player
Find mysterious sword Dragonslayer
Say "Best thing ever found!" and start jumping around...
But he can't get the sword from the ground

Sambojin

• First Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: What about custom challenges? First one: Hell Arena
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 18:10 »

50 shells is plenty on HMP, and can even be enough on UV (I think the least I've done it with was 39 shells in a normal game on UV). You do get a few more after the second wave, which makes things far easier on you.

The trick is simply not radar shooting much. About 1-2 shots per wave is all that is needed, and only before crossing the central area. It depends on pillar layout, but it usually suffices. It's a safety measure when you're short of shells, not a damage dealer, in the Arena.

But you "really" need to know just how fast daemons/cacos/barons move. It's a lot harder without traits to back it up, but close range corner shooting is your friend. All those pillars are there for a reason. Just wait until they're either in your vision, or one square out of it before you start blasting. You'll get a good feel for it eventually, even with different traits, then you'll wonder how it was ever hard to begin with.

Take this with a grain of salt, I haven't played the mod challenge, but I'll knock a few games of it over today on HMP and UV, just to check.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 18:12 by Sambojin »

Evilpotatoe

• Backer
  • Major
  • Lost Soul corpse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 07:00 »

I had the same opinion than Sambojin, but just tested the module once, on UV, and it seems ammo is quite low, indeed.

I finished with 3 unused shells (killed a caco with the chaingun, and did 2 radar shots, I think). there was still 24 shells on the floor, of course, but they only spawn after wave 2, and chaingun isn't reliable enough here.
btw, my build was SoB3, but I guess taking HR (or something else ???) makes you even more ammo dependent.
Also, I used both of my small medkits, since I didn't want to waste some more shells radarshooting.

I didn't try the N! version, but if you have the same ammo, I doubt it's possible without a zillion tries.
Badges - [26/26/26/22/9/2] - 42/43

Equality

• Second Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 12:02 »

On N! we have the same ammo.
40 10mm
50 shells
2 small med-packs
shotgun in hands, loaded.

No armor, no pistol, no combat knife. Char level 1, experience 0.

For N!, wave 1:
...demon x3
...lost soul x2
...cacodemons x4
wave 2:
...demon x3
...cacodemons x5
Wave 3:
...barons x2

Problem not 3d wave, problem kill wave2.
...only way for N! here is HR-HR-DM, and try dodge (and maybe cacodemons accidentally kill demons and one another, and we shoot winner at last), right? Is it possible???

SoB-SoB or Rel-Rel-SM not save your life here. For Bru-Bru-Ber too low med-packs, I need at least 2 large and 4-5 small for that. And armor (blue one) + knife can be quite handy...

Once advanced DoomRL player
Find mysterious sword Dragonslayer
Say "Best thing ever found!" and start jumping around...
But he can't get the sword from the ground
Pages: [1]