Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 07:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [0.9.9.7|G|Win7] Nuclear/Nano items only recharge if equipped  (Read 3895 times)

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile

Title.

I can only assume this is a bug, since there's no reason I can see why a nuclear reactor or collection of nanomachines would decide to take the day off if someone isn't actively touching them.

Not to mention it would be really convenient to allow things to charge without performing additional unnecessary swaps, and removing useful offhand items(Cleaver).

[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31

IronBeer

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Carry on, citizen.
    • View Profile

Not a bug as far as I'm aware. Going back to even 0991 this was the way these things worked, albeit not considering nanomachic since assemblies didn't exist back then. This behavior is probably intentional, but I don't see the harm in having a little discussion of it.
0.9.9.7 Mancubus 1st Lieutenant
[19/12/5/1/0]

Evilpotatoe

• Backer
  • Major
  • Lost Soul corpse
    • View Profile

While this behaviour probably well known, and maybe intended, I don't see why nuclear weapons shouldn't recharge when not equipped.
They should even recharge when dropped on the floor (which isn't a big deal, since you rarely drop one)
Badges - [26/26/26/22/9/2] - 42/43

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile

From a realism perspective, it makes no sense. Even from a balance perspective, I don't see it being an issue - I can't really think of a way to exploit it, in any case... and while it may not really be a bug, it's just a matter of convenience. I *can* make it work by juggling the empty nano/nuke weapon to my offhand and quickkeying a new one, sending my cleaver to my inventory in zero gametime. It's just a lot more work then it needs to be, if I could just let them recharge in my inventory.

Like evil said, as far as realism is concerned, those items may as well be recharging on the floor - the nanites or reactor don't have any reason to shut off. I'm not sure how easy it is to keep track of items on the floor and make them work that way, but I don't imagine it's particularly difficult to make the inventory work properly.
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

yaflhdztioxo

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile

Well, ultimately I'd say either all items recharge equally or no items recharge unless they are equipped (not prepared, equipped).  Rechargeables are significantly different between those two systems.  Adding inventory wouldn't really change anything practical (floor recharging is probably not worth the hassle)

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile

Inventory charging would certainly be welcome. I'm managing as is, instaswapping my empty laser rifle to offhand, then wielding my backup from my inventory, and swapping back and forth as needed until I've thinned out the monster spawns enough to equip my Cleaver again.

I do lose a turn equipping from inventory, since nothing I have is a quickkeyed item, but I'd be doing that anyway with inventory recharging, since I'd simply wield the backup and send the empty rifle to my inventory to charge. However, I wouldn't have to bother with the extra action of swapping the Cleaver, nor would I miss the utility of instant melee kills it provides during the time I'm charging my empty rifle.

I do agree that everything should recharge equally - offhand doesn't seem to me to be any more valid then inventory as far as that is concerned, and if balance is the issue, offhand recharging still provides me with infinite ammo between MAc and N1 modded weapons. It just isn't quite as convenient as it could be =P

And yes, floor recharging isn't worth the trouble, either from a coding perspective or a gameplay perspective. If we were going out of our way to make it as realistic as possible, sure, but then we'd also have to make AoHu the default game mode ;)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 19:18 by Sereg »
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Pages: [1]