Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 11:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Signup problem over on the GH forums  (Read 7203 times)

Michael

• Private FC
    • View Profile
Signup problem over on the GH forums
« on: January 20, 2007, 02:20 »

Hi.  Just recently I tried to signup for the Gearhead forums.  It didn't quite work -- there's now a "Michael" account in the list, but I can't access it because it wants a password to login and didn't let me enter one during signup.

I figured it was going to send a password via e-mail.  So I waited a bit.  And waited a bit more.  No e-mail.

So then I called up the rejection logfiles from my e-mail server -- and I think I found the message.  It was in the box190.bluehost.com domain and was blocked because my anti-spam system suspected that it was a made-up address (there are no MX records for box190.bluehost.com).

I could just try again after whitelisting *.bluehost.com (which I've done), but now the name "Michael" is permanently taken.

The system should really be fixed so that accounts aren't truly created until any such verification e-mail is acknowledged.  Otherwise, mail screwups like this only create useless accounts to which no one knows the password.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 02:22 by Michael »

Michael

• Private FC
    • View Profile
Re: Signup problem over on the GH forums
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 03:16 »

I managed to resolve the problem.  Earlier I had despaired because I couldn't find a "resend password" button, but I recently discovered I just had to click the word "Password:" and that did it.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Re: Signup problem over on the GH forums
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 03:21 »

Uh, sorry I didn't react -- I missed this post :|. Maybe somewhere in the future I'll upgrade the GearHead forum to SMF, then most problems will be solved (and a ton of new ones will arise ^_^).
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz
Pages: [1]