Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 16:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Wandering Monsters?  (Read 3120 times)

Infinitum

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Wandering Monsters?
« on: May 27, 2013, 08:32 »

How come? The original game doesn't have them. Other Roguelikes do, but mainly as mechanic to disturb resting and keeping the player from recovering resources between every other step - which DoomRL doesn't feature. As is, the only gameplay element that encourages players to rest for any extended amount of time is to wait for aforementioned monsters to blunder into sight, which is.. an interesting subversion.

Not really proposing that this should be changed now (because cornershooting, radarshooting, closet monsters requiring the map code to be built from scratch etc) but I'm interested in hearing some thoughts about it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 11:54 by Infinitum »

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
Re: Wandering Monsters?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 08:47 »

In a roguelike (or other game) where you can camp and restore your health as a core game mechanic, I would be in support of this.

DoomRL has no resting mechanic. In my mind, there's no need to introduce one, nor is there any reason to introduce a mechanic that's traditionally used to combat one.

Besides, if you want monsters to keep coming at you, there's always Nightmare.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 08:48 by raekuul »
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

Evilpotatoe

• Backer
  • Major
  • Lost Soul corpse
    • View Profile
Re: Wandering Monsters?
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 09:57 »

Note that the inferno module, by tehtmi, has idle monsters, for the greater good.

They have their drawback too.. but it clearly is something interesting. At least, the game should feature a mix of wandering and idle monsters (maybe a %, as a "level event", or specific to some monsters...)
Badges - [26/26/26/22/9/2] - 42/43
Pages: [1]