Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 10:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Side Stepping Attacks Question  (Read 3539 times)

Perfectblue

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Side Stepping Attacks Question
« on: June 02, 2013, 20:35 »

To successfully side step do you have to literally side step, or can you move any direction. For instance if an enemy approached you from the north you would have to move either left or right to have a chance to evade the attack correct?

IronBeer

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Carry on, citizen.
    • View Profile
Re: Side Stepping Attacks Question
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 20:50 »

To successfully side step do you have to literally side step, or can you move any direction. For instance if an enemy approached you from the north you would have to move either left or right to have a chance to evade the attack correct?
Yes, and it's worth remembering that a sidestep only applies to the first attack from a volley, and it's not a guaranteed dodge without the Dodgemaster trait.
0.9.9.7 Mancubus 1st Lieutenant
[19/12/5/1/0]

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 02:12 »

You'll have a chance to dodge (100% on the first shot with dodgemaster) even if you move diagonally in that case. To know where you should side step, picture the trajectory of the enemy attack. Dodge means that the monster attacks the tile where you were standing before you moved, not the one where you are after you move, so if you move out of the attack's trajectory, you can dodge the shot.

Of course, be careful around enemies with area of effect attacks - dodging in a way that still splashes you when the projectile hits a wall behind you is not ideal.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

siwucha

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 06:15 »

Yes, and it's worth remembering that a sidestep only applies to the first attack from a volley, and it's not a guaranteed dodge without the Dodgemaster trait.

Dodgemaster does only apply to the first attack from a volley, but can't you also dodge the other shots if you're lucky? I remember regularly dodging whole arachnotron volleys with HR3.

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 06:30 »

Dodgemaster does only apply to the first attack from a volley, but can't you also dodge the other shots if you're lucky? I remember regularly dodging whole arachnotron volleys with HR3.
Yes, you can. HR helps quite a huge lot here, 15% dodge chance per level (IIRC).
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 06:53 »

For details see here.

So if you are running and have HR3, an arachnotron 3 tiles away will only aim at you with 5% of their projectiles if you sidestep, which means on average shot every 4 volleys if you don't have dodgemaster and then there's a chance they'll miss anyway..... wait, am I doing the math wrong? This seems too good to be true...
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 07:17 »

For details see here.

So if you are running and have HR3, an arachnotron 3 tiles away will only aim at you with 5% of their projectiles if you sidestep, which means on average shot every 4 volleys if you don't have dodgemaster and then there's a chance they'll miss anyway..... wait, am I doing the math wrong? This seems too good to be true...
Let me see - 20% initial chance + 3 tiles * 4% distance chance + 3*15% for HR3 + 20% for running = 97%, so you hit the 95% dodge chance cap - your math seems correct.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 09:57 »

I think it's kind of funny that people here got so caught up in describing the technical aspects of dodging that they forgot to answer the original question!  :)

To successfully side step do you have to literally side step, or can you move any direction?

You can move in any direction that isn't in the path of the bullet and it will be considered a side step.  It doesn't have to be exactly perpendicular to the path of the shot.

Also, kudos for correctly using the word "literally."  :D
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos
Pages: [1]