Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 13:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [H|ArchAo666|99%|YAVP] Apostle kicking (Dragonslayer and Berserker Armor)  (Read 1975 times)

chag

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile

Well, apparently the Dragonslayer likes me to show up again :-)) This time, when I started playing, I wanted to go for the 100 % killrate with or without the DS. As you can see I almost succeded. I didn´t remember from my last ArchAo666 that the level ends once the Apostle is dead. So the usual "go-for-the-Archvile-first" was a little unhelpful in this case. So, the remaining 11 enemies I didn´t kill are from the last level *sigh*. Seriously, so annoying. I don´t think I feel like doing another 666 levels anytime soon again.

The run itself was pretty cool and (up until the DS) even pretty challenging - at one point I almost died because I didn´t manage to find any decent armor (had three P-modded red armors with me but they were already down in the red and *of course* most armor bonuses got shot to pieces before I could reach them.) So, I was almost dead and thinking: when I don´t find some decent armor SOON that´s it. Lo and behold - next level I found the lava armor. Didn´t know it was that awesome because I have only found it in "normal" runs before and I don´t bother building cerberus boots on normal runs - so it was a little useless to me in earlier games. I used it until I found the DS because then it was time for Malek´s armor. IMHO there is hardly any better armor to go with the DS. I was a little sad I found the Nyarlaptotep´s boots SO late so I used the first nano-pack I found to build some plasteel antigrav-boots and wow, they are even better! With my gear and traits I then had a movement speed of 0.13 and I wiped the floor with most enemies before they even had a chance to react. Definitely awesome!

Oh, and that sad moment when you find another nano-pack and realize you can´t use it anymore as you can´t unequip the DS to use it on a weapon. Didn´t feel like building that ultra nanoonyx-armor I won´t be able to unequip either lol.

As you can see from the mortem I was forced to go with the piercing blade until level 119 when I *finally* found the chainsaw to build a ripper with. Luckily I had the right mod-packs already! And guess what - of course I found the subtle knife and the butcher´s cleaver after I had build the ripper ;-))

I build my first biggest fucking gun (with a nuclear BFG hehehe...) in this run. To be honest - I was a little reluctant at first to use it as I feared it would wipe me off the map as well. Believe it or not - some time ago I managed to kill myself with a BFG10k on level 98 of an Ao100 game because I didn´t know you could kill yourself with it o_O. I should read the wiki more often.

Anyway, long story short - on level 337 I found the Dragonslayer (I am definitely happy the game waited fairly long before it showed up this time) and I did have some wonderful hours of boredom since then ;-)) I hate hate hate agony elemental caves!!!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile

Agony Elemental caves? But... why? Those are the easiest caves o.O especially if you have a nanoshrapnel supershotgun, which is a staple of 666 runs for me. After DS, I suppose that's not an option, but I would imagine that kills them pretty easily too. Edit: You're a scout with MBm. I usually do those caves with my Butcher's Cleaver anyway, since it's perfect for finishing all the spawns in zero time. You get the cleaver effect with every melee weapon - including rippers or the DS. What part of these was difficult? o_O Is it just that they're time consuming?

My most recent deaths on 666 have been nightmare arachno/demon caves(or high threat complexes), where my Malek's armor gets shredded and the next round of attacks kills me:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The fire immunity is awesome, of course, but the susceptibility to damage has been a real problem for me lately(since not only does that destroy the protection value, it also nullifies resistances, including fire). After some really lucky starts(nuke plasma rifle in a vault on level 5, firestorm weapon pack on 15, on a MAc build), this kind of death is really demoralizing, and I've kinda been playing less now, but I guess I'll get back to it eventually.

Anyway, nice win - good to know about the Apostle and the friends he leaves alive. I've also been trying for a YAAM/YAFW conclusion, so if I make it that far with YAAM intact(and if my current ideas on how to pick up DS end up being correct), I'll try clearing the level before taking on the Apostle - if that's actually feasible. I don't know, he may be enough of a threat that that isn't possible, but it'll be worth a try.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 08:22 by Sereg »
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31

chag

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile

Agony Elemental caves? But... why? Those are the easiest caves

That´s the reason I dislike them :D With the blademaster trait and the Dragonslayer you know they are easy prey - so slashing your way through a screenfull of enemies who hardly make a scratch into your armor? Booooring as hell, if you ask me. Now, without blademaster that´s a whole different story of course. But I have never encountered these caves without blademaster as I only play none-melee builds for weapon challenges. So, to answer your question - it´s boring AND (thus pointlessly) time-consuming.

Nightmare arachno caves, oh yeah, they are still a challenge even with the DS - my Malek´s was down to 40% usually but luckily I still had the lava armor with me.

When looking at your recent deaths on 666 - how about you go with melee as well for a change? Sooner or later a chainsaw (or even the butcher´s cleaver) will show up :-))

Anyway, nice win

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile

I actually do build toward melee, with 3-5 levels of Brute, 3 levels of Hellrunner, Dodgemaster, and Berserker, and usually a T modded ripper or Butcher's Cleaver. However, I find when I try to play exclusively melee, I take way more damage, so I use it as kind of a backup to conserve ammunition or let a nano/nuke weapon recharge.
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31
Pages: [1]