Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 23:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tactical Armour OP?  (Read 3451 times)

2birds1stone

• Platinum Supporter
  • Alpha Supporter
  • Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Tactical Armour OP?
« on: June 15, 2013, 06:55 »

Okay, so from what I can gather, it used to be worse than it is now, but it's still pretty overpowered, and the problem comes about as a combination of factors.

1) Speed-built characters never need fear a monster again if they get Tac Armour; characters not built for speed are still doing ridiculously well with this, and probably don't have much to fear either.
2) It's assembled from three common drops, all of which drop from very early in the game.
3) It regenerates.

Point one is a characteristic shared with Phaseshift, but Phaseshift remains balanced by not being something you can rely on, and by punishing the player for sleep-deprived mistakes; you can screw up pretty monumentally with Tactical Armour, and it's okay, because you can retreat without being hit and your armour regenerates itself as if nothing happened. If you make a sleep-deprived mistake with Phaseshift, it may well be gone.

Point two is a simple case of "items should be balanced to their obtainance difficulty". Tactical Armour is very much an I-win card for certain builds, and it's still a highly viable option for everything except Entrenchment.

Point three was covered in point one; while Phaseshift is just as bad, if not worse, than Tac Armour, it forces you to keep your head and play sanely, it does not hold your hand and say "aww, you got shot, here, let me make it better for you".

Were I to nerf Tactical Armour, I'd remove regeneration, and maybe make it a Green + (A3) Advanced Assembly; the latter would be nice, but possibly overkill.

Uh, thoughts?

Fanta Hege

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Will it work? I HAVE NO IDEA
    • View Profile
Re: Tactical Armour OP?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 07:11 »

It's not really that OP with the 0 protection it gives you. (or 2 if you power mod it after whizkid2, but you'll probably want A mod it for maximun speed anyway)

In the later levels the lack of protection will screw you over and even with the regen, it'll be roasted in no time when you take damage due of all the heavy hitters that later levels start to give out on you.
While as it is nice with the whole GOTTAGOFAST it's usualy better to safe that for boots and leave your armor for the armor uses.

It is a risk vs reward armor. Sure it might feel OP but trust me, the first time you run into a surprise mancubi pack, you really wish you would've used a modded red armor instead.
i dont even know anymore

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 09:57 »

The next thing you're going to say that the Inquisitor set is OP.  >.>

But yes, Tactical Armour's greatest failing is that it will be destroyed very quickly when Mancubi, Revenants and Barons start coming en masse.  You are basically naked, and the regeneration is not instantaneous -- there is a delay before the regeneration kicks in.

I don't think it is OP enough to be pushed into being an Advanced Assembly.
I computed, therefore I was.

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 11:35 »

Movespeed != immunity from damage. Yeah, it's a nice piece of gear, and maybe it's a little on the strong side for a basic assembly, but I'd hardly call it OP - most games I don't even bother to build it. As has been said, 0 protection is pretty painful.
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31

2birds1stone

• Platinum Supporter
  • Alpha Supporter
  • Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 22:14 »

Sure it might feel OP but trust me, the first time you run into a surprise mancubi pack, you really wish you would've used a modded red armor instead.
I'm no stranger to surprise Mancubi, and I admit to keeping Fireproof Red armour on standby in case of emergency, but that regen really does strike me as ridiculous.

Eh, apparently I'm outnumbered and unsupported here, the regen really does feel ridiculous to me, but I may well change my mind after playing more Nightmare!.

I gotta concede that zero protection is a someone significant downside.

White Rider

• Elder
  • Captain
  • Doesn't play much
    • View Profile
    • My Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 23:57 »

Tac armor is only good to me as long as there are no mancubi, barons, or revenants wandering around. I sometimes bring it in with me to fight Cyberdemon, if I have Dodgemaster prior. If I make a tac armor, I keep it around. The +movespeed and +dodge is useful, especially now that tac boots don't give +dodge anymore. Is it a permanent part of my arsenal? No. At some point I will realize that I can't possibly outrun and dodge everything, and that's when I keep a spare armor that's better at tanking than a tac armor ever can. In this case, I really like a good ol' power red armor, but getting a nano mod isn't guaranteed.

The way I understand it, to change how equipment regeneration works would require changing a lot of other things, like how the N-mod works with weapons and armor, since tac armor isn't the only thing capable of regenerating durability.

I don't think a long-term tac armor is viable for UV and N! though. The difficulty curve ramps up too quick.
0.9.9.6: 10d 15h Arch-Vile Major; 6/6/2012 - 3/15/2013
0.9.9.7: 12d 9h Cyberdemon Br. General; 3/19/2013 - ?
V: 31 (5P 17S 9F) M: 32 I: 66 A: 40 | 26 24 19 8 1 0

shark20061

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 10:33 »

The way I understand it, to change how equipment regeneration works would require changing a lot of other things, like how the N-mod works with weapons and armor, since tac armor isn't the only thing capable of regenerating durability.
Actually, there are a couple of properties related to regen that are item-specific and are easy to alter.  It would be very easy to increase the time before it starts regenerating (currently 10) or make it regenerate at 1% per action rather than 2%.
Hell Knight Warrant Officer (0.9.9.4)  [26!/8/3/1/0]

Mancubus 2nd Lieutenant (0.9.9.6)  [22/12/3/0/0]
M:16 S:43 (126) A:17
Pages: [1]