Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 10:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Berserk! branch  (Read 6208 times)

Igor Savin

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Berserk! branch
« on: January 21, 2007, 08:51 »

Now that we have the sources, it's the time I started tinkering with it... Since we can expect Kornel to implement everything that is reasonable and berserkish, we should stick to doing something mad and heretical.

To-do list is to be filled (suggestions welcome)... Things that I am currently considering:

1) Equipment: different weapon, armour and amulets.

2) Inventory: recoverable knives, cash, various useful artefacts.

3) Shops.

4) Story mode (this one will be so experimental, that it will be commented out for a time being)

5) "Preparation mode" a'la Horde with traps.

6) Difficulty modes.

Most of the new features will be optional and you will be able to toggle the on and off; toughness of monsters in order to balance things out will be adjusted throught the difficulty.

And yes, right now I'm aiming for "horrible unplayable variant with no balance at all"; it will take time and effort for things to take shape.

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Berserk! branch
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 09:20 »

Most of the new features will be optional and you will be able to toggle the on and off; toughness of monsters in order to balance things out will be adjusted throught the difficulty.
Hey, toggling things on and off is a nice idea (I think). It's kind of similar to the birth options in some of the *bands, isn't it?

And yes, right now I'm aiming for "horrible unplayable variant with no balance at all"; it will take time and effort for things to take shape.
I do hope that you plan to make it balanced some day :P

Anyway, good luck! I'm no programmer, but I can drop by some ideas, and the ones that Kornel doesn't pick up, now might have a place to go :P

Keep us informed on the development!
Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter

Igor Savin

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 09:25 »

It's kind of similar to the birth options in some of the *bands, isn't it?

Yes, there will be "Options" menu where you can customize things. Maybe it will be implemented via ini file as well.

I do hope that you plan to make it balanced some day

The only way it could become balanced is people playing it and commenting it, and it will be that ugly and repulsive, that noone will do it :-P.

I'm no programmer, but I can drop by some ideas

I don't need a second programmer, that would overcomplicate stuff and make things like three times slower ^_^. I need ideas and angry testers...

Today I'm fiddling with weapon choosing, and maybe will start working on preliminary interface for the "Journey" mode (which will precede the full-scale "Story" mode) .

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 12:40 »

Tester a'hoy, then :P

Sounds good so far, but there was one thing I really think should be reconsiderd: armour.
That's too casual, plus it doesn't work out very well with the no-restrictions "berserking" theme.
Various boots and gloves maybe, and magical shirts/pants/kimonos, but no real armour per se.

Amulets sound great, and I'm not quite sure why.

I also suggest scroll magic. No complicated spell magic for the berserker, just collectable conjurations for those dangerous spots.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 14:45 »

Woah Igor, seems you're not wasting time :D. A few notes tough:

If you branch now, you won't be able to keep synchronized with the root -- there are still many major refactorings coming up (see the differences between the 7DRL and 0.8). Second thing -- Campaign mode, and probably Difficulty levels will also be in the main branch.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Igor Savin

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 16:45 »

Tester a'hoy, then :P

Good, good...

That's too casual, plus it doesn't work out very well with the no-restrictions "berserking" theme.

It's supposed to be out of theme; everyone who dislikes the feature can turn it off.

And let's not forget that Guts has very special armour... So we can attach certain abilities to the armour used - as an example, no Berserk if not in Berserk Armour etc.

I'll decrease the priority for this one, though.

Various boots and gloves maybe, and magical shirts/pants/kimonos

OK, I'll add it to the list.

I also suggest scroll magic. No complicated spell magic for the berserker, just collectable conjurations for those dangerous spots.

Note taken.

Woah Igor, seems you're not wasting time

Only time (heh) will tell.

there are still many major refactorings coming up

I barely resist temptation to refactor everything according to my own tastes and habits anyway :). I'll try to stay as modular as possible, to be able to integrate your changes as painlessly as possible... But it'll be a careful handwork anyway.

Second thing -- Campaign mode, and probably Difficulty levels will also be in the main branch.

Hmmm... then maybe I will postpone large-scale difficulty implementation (something simple will be implemented, though, otherwise it'd be hell balancing everything that is going to be thrown in).

Campaign... Then I'll stay away from "traditional" one for now.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 17:24 »

What would you refactor? (asking out of curiosity) Most things in the source have a strong reason behind them (some tough are pending refactoring).
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 18:09 »

And let's not forget that Guts has very special armour... So we can attach certain abilities to the armour used - as an example, no Berserk if not in Berserk Armour etc.
As I've said before, I haven't yet had a chance to watch it, so there's a good chance things I say will make sense only as an out-siders POV, so to speak.
But I'll wiki this right now, so I'll be a little more on top of things.

EDIT: I read the article about the Berserker's Armor. That explains alot.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 18:19 by TFoN »
Pages: [1]