Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 05:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: N+ difficulty  (Read 15277 times)

VANDAM

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
N+ difficulty
« on: June 19, 2013, 20:42 »

This is insanely unfair difficulty:
All of the enemies are replaced with it's N! or boss copies.
To give this difficulty bonuses: 2x or 3x or 4x the exp.
And unique items spawn more often (2x-4x).
Also random events are doubled/tripled.
Unlocked on Chaos Marshal-- till No-Life King rank.
And yes, you can play all of the challenges with this difficulty.
This difficulty is for those people for whom regular N! is not enough.
And this difficulty should have some new special events.
[16/17] AAo666 left.^W
Deleted and started again.
[4/17] And now I've got AAo666 (hate this challenge very much).

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile
Re: N+ difficulty
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 22:52 »

Heh.

I guess if you can attain that rank, Nightmare! is not challenging at all.

However, I think this'd be a lot of work for no audience whatsoever. Even the best DoomRL player I'm aware of was nowhere near Chaos Marshal when he last played - although it may eventually have been possible. Beyond that individual, I don't know of any DoomRL players, current or former, who have the potential to earn that many Angelic badges.
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31

Rajhin

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 00:32 »

This is insanely unfair difficulty:
Nope, it just will suffer from current difficulty problem even more: (almost) impassable early levels, cakewalk after armory.
And surely chaos marshals are nonexistent (and do not really shows any specific skills since majority of angelic badges just requires A LOT of luck).
All we need is to adjust current UV and N to make them a little harder since game became easier in past few releases.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 00:45 by Rajhin »
20/26 4/17
33/50

VANDAM

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 02:21 »

Heh.

I guess if you can attain that rank, Nightmare! is not challenging at all.

However, I think this'd be a lot of work for no audience whatsoever. Even the best DoomRL player I'm aware of was nowhere near Chaos Marshal when he last played - although it may eventually have been possible. Beyond that individual, I don't know of any DoomRL players, current or former, who have the potential to earn that many Angelic badges.
If you're talking about 2dev, as far as I know, he only played for 4 A badges.

Nope, it just will suffer from current difficulty problem even more: (almost) impassable early levels, cakewalk after armory.
And surely chaos marshals are nonexistent (and do not really shows any specific skills since majority of angelic badges just requires A LOT of luck).
All we need is to adjust current UV and N to make them a little harder since game became easier in past few releases.

It will suffer if there wouldn't be any changes. It should be difficult from the very beginning until the end. Life cap for player and random boss summoning with improved speed and cateye.  The most difficult badge for me is AAo666, I once played it while it was beta, and I don't want to try it again, it's just boooooooring. Difficulty scales badly after 150+.
I personally think that N+ would be great for those who want new challenge with restrictions based on A or AA. If you don't want then you don't play. It's fair.
I want to play this kind of difficulty, and one of the difficulties should be imbalanced against player.
[16/17] AAo666 left.^W

Evilpotatoe

• Backer
  • Major
  • Lost Soul corpse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 03:24 »

Nope, it just will suffer from current difficulty problem even more
Fully agree.

N! is supposed to be extremely hard already...

While more random events or N! monsters will be harder to deal with, this won't be enough to make the game difficult after the char leveled up a little.
Adding more XP (and more items) might even make it easier. More failed starts, but you'll get OP faster...

I guess the game just needs (a lot of) time to have its difficulty improved.
Badges - [26/26/26/22/9/2] - 42/43

Evilpotatoe

• Backer
  • Major
  • Lost Soul corpse
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 05:00 »

After a second look at this terrifying screenshot, I gotta ask :
Would you mind recording a video of the Speedrunner angelic ?

This, and the everyman one, were the two badges I really wondered about, but it seems they are possible, after all... did it take zillions of tries, or could you get them again easily ?

Also, I'd be curious to know which trait you picked for AAoHu. I think I'd go for WK, HR or SoB, but we probably don't play the same game :p
Badges - [26/26/26/22/9/2] - 42/43

VANDAM

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 05:14 »

After a second look at this terrifying screenshot, I gotta ask :
Would you mind recording a video of the Speedrunner angelic ?

This, and the everyman one, were the two badges I really wondered about, but it seems they are possible, after all... did it take zillions of tries, or could you get them again easily ?

Also, I'd be curious to know which trait you picked for AAoHu. I think I'd go for WK, HR or SoB, but we probably don't play the same game :p
My Speedrunner is not the fastest one. As far as I can remember, someone finished this game in 2 minutes (Don't remember truly). It's based on luck. If you're lucky enough with stairs you can do this in 3 minutes. Now I'm sick of this badges, the last one was angelic demonic one (I hate that one really). Everyman is based on good equipment and you have one choice: to deal more damage or wizkid run. About speed, as for me it's better to pray for good RNG on AAoHu (Assemblies and etc, and everything is based on your reaction, so as in AD badge.).
[16/17] AAo666 left.^W

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 05:42 »

What...? I...? What... Mother of God...

Sir, where are your mortems? Any of them alone would be incredibly impressive, but all 16?

I think I'm most interested in Strongman and Speedrunner, since those seem most impossible to me... Although most of the duals and the AAoHu are pretty ridiculous too. Actually, all of them are far beyond my own skill level(I think the only one I have even a remote chance of getting is Shottyman, because it legitimizes my AoOC abuses =P and even that is almost all luck, not skill)

When I posted my original reply, I didn't understand what your signature meant, and I hadn't seen any of your mortems - I had no idea this was even possible. No wonder you're interested in a higher difficulty...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 06:05 by Sereg »
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

VANDAM

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 05:52 »

What...? I...? What... Mother of God...

Sir, where are your mortems? Any of them alone would be incredibly impressive, but all 16?
I play only for joy. There was my AAo666 mortem (In beta). And I personally think, that showing mortems is just a way of creating idols and hierarchy, as for me this kind of life is awful.   Strongman is like any other strongman run. On N! it's easier because of exp, and if you can cornershoot enemies which stay indoors, this run is alike H strongman.
[16/17] AAo666 left.^W

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 06:01 »

Cornershoot with your fists? Or do you use weapons? If so, what if something dies? I just lost an MKC on my latest run because of a very few rounds wielding a rocket launcher(which I had only for wall destruction, and was the only non-knife weapon that ever touched my inventory other then exotic/unique pickups and my original pistol) that I never even fired.

Seems to me like a very risky way to handle a run like that, although I suppose the alternative - actually using your fists - is so incredibly difficult that it may not even be possible. Then again, until I saw that screenshot up there, I thought that about a lot of Angelic badges.

I suppose the bit about idols is a fair point, if you really feel that way - but you may have inadvertently become an idol just by posting this thread, anyway ;)
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

VANDAM

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 06:01 »

About N+ I had a dream today about playing this difficulty, and I liked it. It was great experience. I thought that AoMinimal damage would be great (enemies — max, you — min). Angel of missing shots  (-10 to acc), AoInstant death(1% to die on every tick).
[16/17] AAo666 left.^W

VANDAM

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 06:05 »

Cornershoot with your fists? Or do you use weapons? If so, what if something dies? I just lost an MKC on my latest run because of a very few rounds wielding a rocket launcher(which I had only for wall destruction, and was the only non-knife weapon that ever touched my inventory other then exotic/unique pickups and my original pistol) that I never even fired.

Seems to me like a very risky way to handle a run like that, although I suppose the alternative - actually using your fists - is so incredibly difficult that it may not even be possible. Then again, until I saw that screenshot up there, I thought that about a lot of Angelic badges.

I suppose the bit about idols is a fair point, if you really feel that way - but you may have inadvertently become an idol just by posting this thread, anyway ;)
If someone dies, you play this game again… over and over, till you get sick, or RNG smiles on you, and you can cornershoot with fists. I don't think that TRUE fist only 90% N! run is possible (only if every level will be with lava and you have Inq set (so you can punch C and V)). I know, but it's useless for me. I want to enjoy the N! and boss versions of enemies on every lvl (like AAo666) but not as boring. I don't want to be bored to death.
[16/17] AAo666 left.^W

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 06:07 »

Heh. AoID sounds very similar to the current Angelic Pacifism badge. One unlucky occurrence completely outside of your control, that's free to occur at any time, can and will throw the run for you.

[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Fanta Hege

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Will it work? I HAVE NO IDEA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 06:48 »

You know I actually once planned to make a mod that would be something like this.
DoomRL: Prepare to die edition.

Replace all formers with their Elite varitations.
Nightmare monsters everywhere.
Hell knights > Barons
Barons > Bruisers

It would've made even normal enemy encounters so much more interesting. Though getting past the first level could've been real hell.

Ofcourse if this were a new diffuculty we should go deeper:

Bruisers in Anamoly are Cybies.
Tower of Babel turns into Cyberden. 4 Cybies with few bruisers helping em out.
Unholy cathedral's lost souls are nightmare demons, demons are agony elementals.
Angel of Death's damage ignores berserk resistances.
Dis is replaced with anachrophobia where the spidermastermind has plenty of nightmare anachrons helping her out.
Getting full win? Meet the bossrush.

or something like that.
i dont even know anymore

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 07:51 »

Heh. AoID sounds very similar to the current Angelic Pacifism badge. One unlucky occurrence completely outside of your control, that's free to occur at any time, can and will throw the run for you.

It's better. The main tactic behind strongman badges is shooting enemies enough to soften them up before finishing them off with fists. If you can count, you can do it semi-reliably.

BTW, how long did it take to get AAoPc, Vandam? That's a pretty ridiculous challenge.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".
Pages: [1] 2  All