Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 10:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Sensor mines  (Read 7391 times)

Zinc30

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Sensor mines
« on: July 14, 2013, 20:15 »

Maybe some Sensor Mines would add a little more fun to it. What do you think? Damage could be lesser than a frag grenade.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Re: Sensor mines
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 00:12 »

You've got to say more about the mechanics of the suggestion.  "Maybe some X would add a little more fun" is not very informational since what we think of for X is different from what you think of for X.
I computed, therefore I was.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 06:02 »

The aliens do move when out of sight so this might actually work. As I assume the player never triggers them? If so, it'd be even fun to set them up on your escape path...
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 09:30 »

Maybe some Sensor Mines would add a little more fun to it. What do you think? Damage could be lesser than a frag grenade.

This idea has potential and seems both thematic and appropriate.
However, I'm not an expert on ARL Gameplay so I invite those around here that are to come up with a valuable way to implement sensor mines.

KK's point is a good starting concept.

EDIT: Welcome to the forums, by the way!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 09:34 by MaiZure »
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

Flame_US3r

• Platinum Supporter
  • Alpha Supporter
  • Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 14:05 »

The first thing I thought of when I read Sensor mines was something along the motion sensor grenades from Battlefield Bad Company 2. (Throw like a grenade, wherever they land they act as a motion sensor for a small radius surrounding the device)

It seems like Zinc's idea is more like a proximity mine that does damage when tripped.

And then I got to thinking... there isn't a motion tracker in A:RL.

I imagine thought was put into this previously. It seems difficult to think of a good way to implement a motion tracking mechanic in a way that meshes well with a turn-based roguelike.

I think it would be useful as a piece of equipment that could be scavenged, perhaps with modules or upgrades that could increase/augment it's effectiveness. Range, angle of scan, accuracy of scan, size of enemy... maybe even a HUD augment that permanently applies the motion tracking to your vision?

A base unit could be helpful in the lowlight areas.. maybe traversing one without a tracker could be extremely dangerous.

Granted, this largely depends on:

how much the aliens themselves are moving (A motion tracker shouldn't show you the location of a static enemy, waiting to ambush); this might mean establishing more patrol paths and incorporating more movement in general

how the tracker would be implemented/displayed (use 1.0 sec to aim, scan, read an area? Separate UI for scanner? Put the red motion dots onto the map, a la int2? Isn't this all quite complicated?)

and usefulness in the current style of the game. Right now, you don't really need a motion tracker because you can put points into perception (and increase your sight distance). If you rely on that and sound queues, a motion tracker would just be icing on the cake.

However, considering how iconic it is in the source material, it seems like it's worth taking a stab at. I really dig AliensRL (managed to actually win a game in the latest version) and I'd love to see it expanded further.

And I like the idea of proximity mines too. As long as the player can trip them too. :)
The Shrieker shrieks!

Zinc30

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 15:40 »

Exactly! I was thinking in proximity mines like BF bad company 2. You got it! Sorry for not develop my idea but, wow, I thought it wouldnt get too much attention.

Zinc30

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 16:04 »

Ow and thanks for the replies and welcoming. I believe this game has everything to be the best Kornel's RL. I love the theme, the style and the immersion of AliensRL. Unfortunately, Im not a programmer, dont know if its possible to do that, but I'd be immensely honored if I could collaborate with something.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 20:02 »

+1 to this idea! This would definitely give the game an interesting tactical element.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 20:03 by ParaSait »
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 04:32 »

Motion Scanner first, Proximity Grenades later, please :) .
Pages: [1]