Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 21:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [0.9.9.7|G|Win7] Mouse has inherent advantages over keyboard  (Read 4517 times)

Cyberdreamin

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile

Currently DoomRL has some UI problems that makes the mouse a much better option than the keyboard for many types of firing. I think this is a problem because both control methods should be equally viable, but this is not the case.

First, the most obvious problem is that the mouse can fire at any square regardless of line of sight or distance. The keyboard cursor cannot. I'm not 100% sure what determines the max cursor range, I've seen myself unable to move my reticle more than about 7 squares away from me, other times it's more like 15. However, any limit is too short, and targets that are far away often require absolute reticle precision to hit.

This is especially noticeable when your character has extra awareness from a computer map or Intuition. There are often targets that are very difficult or impossible to hit on the keyboard but they can be hit easily with the mouse. To make this fair, the max cursor distance needs to be removed when moving the cursor with the numpad.

Additionally, keyboard users suffer disadvantage when firing repeatedly into non-LOS squares. For some reason, the default UI will remember blind fires only if the blind fire was targeting a square within LOS. However, it is often the case that a blind fire will want to target outside LOS (Intuition makes this extremely frequent). For mouse users, this problem does not exist as they simply need not move the mouse between fires. But constantly repositioning a cursor with no memory is extremely tedious for keyboard users.

I believe the game should remember blind fire locations even when they target squares outside of LOS. Ideally, it should only forget a blind fire square when the player initiates firing from a different square. This is not the same as forgetting when the player moves, as some builds use movement to reload and may prefer to jump between squares between reloads, rather than pressing R. As long as the firing is happening in the same square, the cursor should remember its position regardless of LOS concerns.

Finally keyboard users are at special disadvantage in Intuition builds due to the game providing no help in selecting intuition markers as targets. Mouse users can select any square with equal ease, but keyboard users need help. This is why tab target exists. But, since tab target does not work with intuition markers, this build heavily favours mouse use.

To fix this, I believe that intuition markers should be considered valid, but low priority, targets for tab targeting. What this means is that tab will target them, but only after all visible targets have been cycled through. If only intuition targets are present, I think that either defaulting no target and forcing a tab, or just selecting the nearest intuition marker first, would both be valid options.

Thank you.

Juice

• Elder
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.9.7|G|Win7] Mouse has inherent advantages over keyboard
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 13:01 »

Well, yes. And keyboard has inherent advantages over mouse. Like, maybe, more buttons? I dont think both control methods should be totally equal, after all they are quite different devices.

But I see your point, some of the issues you describe might be easy to implement - I think someone more knowleadgeable will correct me if Im oversimplifying.
[25|22|20|15|5|0]
Cyberdemon General

Cyberdreamin

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 13:07 »

I agree that they are different but I think they should be as equal as possible. In both actual ability and ideally also ease of use. Currently there are problems in both those areas. I wrote a lot of words to help people understand the issues and how they arise, but at their core they are very simple problems basically related to making cursor positioning smarter and less restricted.

Some things will always be faster with one or easier with one, but I think trying to make slow repetitive things easier makes sense. On the other hand, I don't think there should ever be a thing that's possible with one and impossible with the other, especially when it's as simple as being able to shoot a certain enemy or not.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 13:09 »

Well, I use keyboard almost all the time. If I want to, say, spray nuclear plasma across the whole map blindly for a while (such as in lava pits), I just grab mouse for a while. Problem solved.

Though getting rid of the aim distance limit would be nice.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

shark20061

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 16:31 »

First, the most obvious problem is that the mouse can fire at any square regardless of line of sight or distance. The keyboard cursor cannot. I'm not 100% sure what determines the max cursor range, I've seen myself unable to move my reticle more than about 7 squares away from me, other times it's more like 15. However, any limit is too short, and targets that are far away often require absolute reticle precision to hit.
This one's already fixed for the next version.  As in, mouse will have the same limits as keyboard.  There are reasons for the limitation.

For reference:  Shotguns are bugged, and can target any space up to their maximum range (8 for wide-type, 15 for all others).  The bug is fixed for next version.  Everything else is (properly) limited by the player's LoS range with a few exceptions.

As an example of such an exception, rocket jumping (rocket launcher alt fire) limits targeting to 1 space.  Such custom range restrictions are enforced by the game even if targeting out of range with the mouse.

Additionally, keyboard users suffer disadvantage when firing repeatedly into non-LOS squares. For some reason, the default UI will remember blind fires only if the blind fire was targeting a square within LOS. However, it is often the case that a blind fire will want to target outside LOS (Intuition makes this extremely frequent). For mouse users, this problem does not exist as they simply need not move the mouse between fires. But constantly repositioning a cursor with no memory is extremely tedious for keyboard users.
This one is just a convenience issue.  I've been thinking about changing it, but I could see problems because of the way it's currently implemented.

Finally keyboard users are at special disadvantage in Intuition builds due to the game providing no help in selecting intuition markers as targets. Mouse users can select any square with equal ease, but keyboard users need help. This is why tab target exists. But, since tab target does not work with intuition markers, this build heavily favours mouse use.
This one will be indirectly fixed with the limited target selection fix (well, partially).  I can see where it could be a help in cornershooting, but most cases the intuition target will be blocked or outside sight range.

As a side note, mouse targeting will always be superior to keyboard targeting by it's own merit.  But by superior, I simply mean faster.
Hell Knight Warrant Officer (0.9.9.4)  [26!/8/3/1/0]

Mancubus 2nd Lieutenant (0.9.9.6)  [22/12/3/0/0]
M:16 S:43 (126) A:17

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 18:35 »

I didn't know about this advantage because I never use the mouse. Yea it is pretty unfair...

Well, I use keyboard almost all the time. If I want to, say, spray nuclear plasma across the whole map blindly for a while (such as in lava pits), I just grab mouse for a while. Problem solved.
Except that this doesn't work in console mode...
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!
Pages: [1]